TN: 2018 Jolie-Laide Trousseau Noir Poulsard Gamay Valdiguié (USA, California)

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Post Reply
Message
Author
User avatar
Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 19830
Joined: July 3rd, 2010, 8:53 am
Location: Podunk CA RRV

TN: 2018 Jolie-Laide Trousseau Noir Poulsard Gamay Valdiguié (USA, California)

#1 Post by Brian Tuite » October 17th, 2019, 6:17 am

  • 2018 Jolie-Laide Trousseau Noir Poulsard Gamay Valdiguié - USA, California (10/17/2019)

    Boy was this good. Pobega’d this one as I came home to a case of wine in my garage. Pop n pour, kinda simple but in a good way. Brightness from the Gamay/Valdiguié, Strawberries and rose petals from the Trousseau, no harshness, no sharp edges, no real tannic structure to deal with but not flabby in any way. You can just dive right in and reap the pleasure this wine brings. Cool label too.

    4336FAD9-6002-4E5D-8FEF-45B7702F9E52.jpeg
    C0F7880C-7B83-4DCF-9CF5-C2A1C8598E37.jpeg
Posted from CellarTracker

User avatar
Chris Seiber
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 8998
Joined: April 28th, 2010, 3:22 pm
Location: Newport Beach, CA

Re: TN: 2018 Jolie-Laide Trousseau Noir Poulsard Gamay Valdiguié (USA, California)

#2 Post by Chris Seiber » October 17th, 2019, 6:23 am

I had my first Jolie Laide at a restaurant recently, the rose of Valdiguié. It was really excellent. I otherwise know zero about the producer. Anyone want to fill me in a bit?

User avatar
Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 19830
Joined: July 3rd, 2010, 8:53 am
Location: Podunk CA RRV

Re: TN: 2018 Jolie-Laide Trousseau Noir Poulsard Gamay Valdiguié (USA, California)

#3 Post by Brian Tuite » October 17th, 2019, 6:40 am

Chris Seiber wrote:
October 17th, 2019, 6:23 am
I had my first Jolie Laide at a restaurant recently, the rose of Valdiguié. It was really excellent. I otherwise know zero about the producer. Anyone want to fill me in a bit?
Scott is the asst winemaker for Pax Mahle. Low alc, low intervention, non traditional California varieties. Hipster Wine kinda. Really well made. I’ve gone through 5 different vintages and no duds for my palate.
Trousseau, Pinot Gris, Gamay, Syrah, Valdiguié, Grenache, Pinot Noir, Mourvedre, Syrah, Poulsard, lots of blends. From places like Halćon, Rossi Ranch, Provisor, Shake Ridge, Antle, Barsotti, Rorick, Fanucchi Wood Rd, all real easy drinking.
Bob Wood - 1949-2013 Berserker for eternity! RIP

"On self-reflection, I think a big part of it was me just being a PITA customer..." ~ Anonymous Berserker

"Something so subtle only I can detect it." ~ Randy Bowman

2019 WOTY...

User avatar
John Morris
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 17402
Joined: June 21st, 2009, 2:09 pm
Location: Gotham

Re: TN: 2018 Jolie-Laide Trousseau Noir Poulsard Gamay Valdiguié (USA, California)

#4 Post by John Morris » October 17th, 2019, 6:52 am

Brian Tuite wrote:
October 17th, 2019, 6:40 am
Low alc, low intervention, non traditional California varieties. Hipster Wine kinda.
Kinda?

You think?

(Sounds really interesting!)
"English doesn't just borrow foreign words, it stalks languages down dark alleyways, knocks them over and then rifles their pockets for new words." -- @Another NPC on YouTube

User avatar
Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 19830
Joined: July 3rd, 2010, 8:53 am
Location: Podunk CA RRV

Re: TN: 2018 Jolie-Laide Trousseau Noir Poulsard Gamay Valdiguié (USA, California)

#5 Post by Brian Tuite » October 17th, 2019, 7:16 am

John Morris wrote:
October 17th, 2019, 6:52 am
Brian Tuite wrote:
October 17th, 2019, 6:40 am
Low alc, low intervention, non traditional California varieties. Hipster Wine kinda.
Kinda?

You think?

(Sounds really interesting!)
Well...
Bob Wood - 1949-2013 Berserker for eternity! RIP

"On self-reflection, I think a big part of it was me just being a PITA customer..." ~ Anonymous Berserker

"Something so subtle only I can detect it." ~ Randy Bowman

2019 WOTY...

Tom DeBiase
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 794
Joined: May 2nd, 2010, 11:08 am

Re: TN: 2018 Jolie-Laide Trousseau Noir Poulsard Gamay Valdiguié (USA, California)

#6 Post by Tom DeBiase » October 17th, 2019, 7:22 am

Brian Tuite wrote:
October 17th, 2019, 6:17 am
  • 2018 Jolie-Laide Trousseau Noir Poulsard Gamay Valdiguié - USA, California (10/17/2019)

    Boy was this good. Pobega’d this one as I came home to a case of wine in my garage. Pop n pour, kinda simple but in a good way. Brightness from the Gamay/Valdiguié, Strawberries and rose petals from the Trousseau, no harshness, no sharp edges, no real tannic structure to deal with but not flabby in any way. You can just dive right in and reap the pleasure this wine brings. Cool label too.


    4336FAD9-6002-4E5D-8FEF-45B7702F9E52.jpeg
    C0F7880C-7B83-4DCF-9CF5-C2A1C8598E37.jpeg
Posted from CellarTracker
Hey Brian, you scooped me on this one. I had just found my notes on my Jolie Laide Pick Up-Open House this past Saturday. Totally agree this is tasty and serious.

Full notes and tidbits from talking with Scott later.

Tom

User avatar
Chris Seiber
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 8998
Joined: April 28th, 2010, 3:22 pm
Location: Newport Beach, CA

Re: TN: 2018 Jolie-Laide Trousseau Noir Poulsard Gamay Valdiguié (USA, California)

#7 Post by Chris Seiber » October 17th, 2019, 7:51 am

Brian Tuite wrote:
October 17th, 2019, 6:40 am
Chris Seiber wrote:
October 17th, 2019, 6:23 am
I had my first Jolie Laide at a restaurant recently, the rose of Valdiguié. It was really excellent. I otherwise know zero about the producer. Anyone want to fill me in a bit?
Scott is the asst winemaker for Pax Mahle. Low alc, low intervention, non traditional California varieties. Hipster Wine kinda. Really well made. I’ve gone through 5 different vintages and no duds for my palate.
Trousseau, Pinot Gris, Gamay, Syrah, Valdiguié, Grenache, Pinot Noir, Mourvedre, Syrah, Poulsard, lots of blends. From places like Halćon, Rossi Ranch, Provisor, Shake Ridge, Antle, Barsotti, Rorick, Fanucchi Wood Rd, all real easy drinking.
Both the project and the wines sound pretty similar to Sandlands. Which I love -- had a 2017 Red Table Wine (blend of carignane and mataro, I think) the other night which was so damn good.

Anyone want to comment on whether they agree or disagree with that statement?

User avatar
Alicia C.
Posts: 629
Joined: September 3rd, 2013, 12:54 pm
Location: Cambridge, Mass. (ex-D.C.-er)

Re: TN: 2018 Jolie-Laide Trousseau Noir Poulsard Gamay Valdiguié (USA, California)

#8 Post by Alicia C. » October 17th, 2019, 4:08 pm

so psyched to read these notes!! thank you!! waiting patiently for my bottles to arrive!!
last name starts with a CY and ends with PRESS
I'm @itswinebyme on Twitter and Tumblr

Post Reply

Return to “Wine Talk”