Canlis for dinner this evening.........

Been wanting to eat here for years, I may be a decade late but still very much looking forward to it.

Not a lot of value here, but I would not expect much.

Thoughts on better values? Doing dinner with some casual wine drinkers and need to keep it towards $300/bottle.

Was thinking to start with a 2014 Jobard Les Poruzots, but haven’t gotten much further.

https://canlis.com/uploads/Canlis_Wine%20List_9.20.19_LF.pdf

Thoughts? Particularly on red Burgs would be appreciated.

not much in the way of value on that list, especially in burgundy, but these are the options that stuck out to me:

PIERRE BOISSON • Auxey-Duresses, En Reugne, Premier Cru, 2012 155
COMTESSE DE CHÉRISEY • La Genelotte, Premier Cru, 2011 155

SIMON BIZE • Les Fournaux, Premier Cru, 2013 145
SIMON BIZE • Les Talmettes, Premier Cru, 2012 145

in my view, upping the price to $300 per bottle does very little in terms of qpr. i would probably opt for two of the bottles in my list and get a decent bottle of champagne to start.

Andy,

I’d be tempted to bring my own, but don’t know the corkage fee at Canlis these days. If I had to choose a red burgundy from the list I would consider the 2010 Lafarge Volnay at 165 or the 2010 Selectionnees at 195. If you are considering a Bojo the 2014 Cuvee Marcel Lapierre Morgon at 125 is a reasonable choice.

Cheers,
Doug

Have a great time and please report back, either here or on the Seattle Dining thread over in the Epicurean Exploits forum. Canlis was discussed quite a bit.

I’d start with a split of Vazart-Coquart Blanc de Blancs Brut NV ($65) and pair it with a tasty appetizer. Then go for the 2013 Corliss Estates Cab Sauv for $185, but be sure to have them decant it when you arrive. 2010 was a cool vintage and yielded some great wines. The 2008 Andrew Will Sorella would also be very nice for $225. I’d bet it’s drinking very well right now.

I’ll defer to the experts here on the old world stuff, but that would be my leaning.

Funny, I had dinner there two nights ago. Came down to '11 Bize Savigny Vergelesses blanc, Niellon, Guiberteau, or Domaine du Collier. Went with the '09 Collier, which turned out to be an awesome bottle.

PIERRE BOISSON • Auxey-Duresses, En Reugne, Premier Cru, 2012 155
COMTESSE DE CHÉRISEY • La Genelotte, Premier Cru, 2011 155

SIMON BIZE • Les Fournaux, Premier Cru, 2013 145
SIMON BIZE • Les Talmettes, Premier Cru, 2012 145

in my view, upping the price to $300 per bottle does very little in terms of qpr. i would probably opt for two of the bottles in my list and get a decent bottle of champagne to start.
[/quote]

Thanks, I thought maybe a Deibolt-Vallois to start. I’ll consider the 2012 Bize as an option for sure.

This had also piqued my interest. Have you had it? I have not.

Thanks!

I think the steal of that list is the 2007 DRC La Tache for $2.2K.
Yes it’s $2K which is silly expensive… but that’s a good price for that bottle… quality guaranteed basically.

The 2000 La Tache is listed for $3500 though?

oops 2007 sorry…

These are the bargains:

THE EYRIE VINEYARDS • Original Vines Reserve, Dundee Hills, 2013 95
DOMAINE COLLIER • Saumur, FRA, 2009 145
KNOLL • Riesling Schutt Durnsteiner, Smaragd, Wachau, 2016 150
KNOLL • Gruner Smaragd, Schutt, Wachau, 2016 105
BÉNÉDICTE & STÉPHANE TISSOT • Chardonnay, Les Bruyères, Arbois, FRA, 2011 85

DOMAINE COLLIER • Saumur La Ripaille, Saumur, 2014 125
CHÂTEAU GOMBAUDE-GUILLOT Pomerol • 2009 195

HUBERT LIGNIER • Morey Les Chaffots, Premier Cru, 2009 295
DOMAINE FOREY • Nuits Les Perrières, 2010 215

YANN CHAVE • Hermitage 2012 215
DOMAINE CHARVIN • Chateauneuf 2009 225

CAPPELLANO • Piè Rupestris, Barolo, 2011 225

Like others, I have my eye on a couple of other things that are a bit below market.

Collier is dope.

Andy

I have a single bottle of the 2010 Selectionnees, which I hope I can keep my hands off of for at least a few years. So haven’t sampled one myself, but please report back if you try it!

Cheers,
Doug

Rousseau Ruchottes looks good as well, as does 1999 Romanee Conti at $12,500

[snort.gif]

Good luck there. I’m sure many folks here can tell you about mixed results. Not trying to throw water on a hopefully wonderful night, just saying. One of the best meals of my life was there. Another time…

I had not seen this, but will definitely try it!

I believe it is $10 per person with a 3 bottle max per table.

I was there earlier this month - it was okay but nothing special - most certainly not rushing back.

I would go for:

Chezeaux Les St. George’s 2010 for $175
Lapierre Morgon 2016 Magnum $150

The 2011 Rupestris is drinking great, and that’s a very nice price for a restaurant.

That is pretty much a great price anywhere right now!

I will report back!

Thanks again.