TN: 2015 Giuseppe Rinaldi Barbera d'Alba (Italy, Piedmont, Alba, Barbera d'Alba)

• 2015 Giuseppe Rinaldi Barbera d’Alba - Italy, Piedmont, Alba, Barbera d’Alba (10/15/2019)
    A beautiful fruit and floral driven nose. Lovely perfume. There’s ripe berry and cherry fruit with good snap on the palate. This walks the line between radiant ripe fruit and focused acidity beautifully. Round, yet not fat, pretty mid weighted for barbers, with beautiful clarity and depth. There is plenty going on here, but it is so delicious and easy to drink one is tempted to overlook it and just be happy drinking it. There is an effortlessness to this wine that makes you want to drink much more than one glass. Beautiful. A paradoxically forward yet understatedly graceful Barbera. I really like '15 for Barbera. Delicious with a fennel sausage pizza. (92 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Thanks for the note. I really love the G Rinaldi barbera – it’s probably one of the best examples I’ve had of the grape. It’s a shame they tend to be so hard to find here in the US.

For my money this is the best Barbera out there. Incredible drinkability with only moderate extraction and alcohol compared to all the “super-Barberas” being produced today.

And riper years like '15 are usually good for barbera – takes a bit of the edge off the acidity.

Wow, a $90 barbera. Glad it’s good, anyway.

Perhaps your money is not as dear as mine. I’m sure for $80-90 a bottle, there are better barberas out there.

I’ll take 2 mascarello’s for this price

there are shops that also charge $90 for the bartolo… parcelle has the 16 listed for $95 while their price on the 15 rinaldi is $82. obviously this is not the actual retail price of either of these wines. a quick check on w-s shows the UK average price of around $49 for the rinaldi which is probably a more accurate assessment of the true value.

That would be in line with Giacomo Conterno’s barbera, which I liked at $30 but don’t buy at $40+.

The average price I’ve paid for this wine is 20 €. That said I have not enjoyed any other Barbera more regardless of price.

Unfortunately, that is the retail price in the USA, where anything of Beppe Rinaldi gets marked up Big Time. [cry.gif]

this is yet another case of the retailer adding a name recognition premium…

It depends on where you buy it Chris. I paid 20e and at that price it is a terrific wine. US pricing for this producer is absurd.

Pretty amazing, that’s like a 400% difference.

Yep

The Barolo difference is even greater.

Indeed, just FYI a local restaurant sells this for:

Barbera d’Alba …
2017 € 63,70 €
2016 € 66,00 €
2015 € 71,00 €
2014 € 79,00 €
2013 € 83,00 €

For the sake of comparison, a 2015 Giacomo Conterno Barbera d’Alba Vigna Francia tasted last year was about as magical a Barbera experience as I could imagine there being. And I loaded up at around $60/btl. Found the ‘16 to be very tight and borderline unapproachable last fall so I swept up some more ‘15 lingering in the market.