TN: 04 Grosset Polish Hill and Pike's Rieslings

A couple of recent wines drinking very well.

Petrol, oyster shell, kaffir lime leaf, peas, and citrus pith on the nose. This has bright acidity coupled with tactile density that remains very fresh, laser sharp and clean. Bone dry with great cut and freshness on the palate. A wine much more about geologic matter and acid than fruit, with tarragon-herbal notes and citrus fruit that add to the dominant oyster shell and soil flavors. Serious and deep yet with beautiful lift. Many might call this austere; I call it delicious. A serious, stony, contemplative wine drinking peak with no sign of slowing soon. (93 pts.)

• 2004 Pikes Riesling - Australia, South Australia, Mount Lofty Ranges, Clare Valley (10/6/2019)
    Oyster shell, brine, lemon pith, petrol, and subtle white florals on the nose. Linear and focused, more compact than the 04 Polish Hill drunk a week or so later. More citrus pith, grapefruit, and tarragon as the non geologic palate components. Overall this is much more about acid and rocks than fruit. Salty, savory and “steely” on the palate, with a simultaneously very clean yet very long finish. Great with Berkshire pork chops, pan gravy and brussel sprouts.

At peak and I doubt it wil improve. This seems to be unsurprisingly a little further along the curve than the Polish Hill. Outstanding. (91 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Cool notes Todd. I don’t see a lot of AU Riesling in the US/UK. But these notes sound right up my alley!

Was the Pikes under screw cap too? I think they were for the Australian market by 04 but I’m not sure about elsewhere. Pikes is a go-to inexpensive Riesling for me and often found in places where the rest of the selection is a bit sub-standard. It’s usually found at a bit under half the price of the Grosset.

Thanks for reading everyone.

Paul, yes. Both were under Stelvin.

Haven’t had the Pikes. Have had various vintages of the Polish Hill–absolutely love it and no, it doesn’t move for 10-20 years. Super-vibrant wines and bone dry is being generous in terms of dryness–but I love that!

Great notes