TN: 2016 Caymus Cabernet Sauvignon (USA, California, Napa Valley)

Posted from CellarTracker

Hm, I do like brown sugar and port…

Hm, I do like brown sugar and port…

Scary part is how many people I talked at the event like it. I have had Caymus from the 2000s that were solid but the last 2 vintages for me are not drinkable.

Just be glad you got a bottle, given the scarcity of this beautiful deftly made wine. Maybe you had a bad bottle? That a bag of brown sugar fell into?

But it sells well, especially at Yabba-Dabba-Doo steakhouses. Caymus is laughing all the way to the bank, and does not give a flying fick about us wine geeks.

99.9% of the wine consumers disagree with this post.

The original post?

Yes. And any disparaging comments towards Caymus after.

I literally have a over a case of Caymus in my bedroom closet. When people hear I enjoy wine, this is the bottle I am usually gifted.

99.9% of the wine consumers disagree with this post.

99.9 percent of the wine’s (Caymus’s) customers or 99.9 percent of all wine customers?

I would assume that it holds true for the first, since there will be those who buy it and are disappointed. But as to the second, there are plenty of people in the US and elsewhere who aren’t fans. Not only wine geeks either, just people who don’t want to pay an exorbitant amount for something that isn’t their style.

But as Victor pointed out, the Wagners don’t care as long as they’re selling out and the stuff isn’t piling up. They have a pretty good understanding of popular taste, which is apparent in all of their wines. For my part, I just avoid anything with a Wagner connection.

Us too…we have an almost complete vertical going back to 2011.

Every single one of my friends, acquaintances, wife’s friends, acquaintances and family are super excited if Caymus is opened and love it, unless they dont drink wine. they don’t. Same goes for a ton of labels for people who like wine and want something familiar, whether thru marketing or friends.

I get it, easy to hate things here, but anything that gets people drinking wine vs. beer or White Claw, I am down with…I never drank Mollydooker, but it got general public to consider spending $20 vs. $8 so it helped move wine forward.

Tons of shit I don’t like nor drink, but let’s not hate on things that get everyday consumer to drink wine vs. beer, spirits, or malt products and spend up.

I don’t like it, either, yet I know this sort of sweet, ripe, plush red has lots of fans, and the producers who cater to it are making bank.

And it’s totally fine. I drink what I like, others do the same. There’s no real harm.

Needs more time…

1 Like

I can’t wait until I buy the 50th anniversary bottles and flip those .

I think you had an off bottle.

Is Caymus flippable? I thought that only the Special Selection is increasing in price these days. Restaurant by the glass was a good Cabernet very standard Napa cab.

[quote99.9% of the wine consumers disagree with this post.][/quote]Yes had to bite my tongue around the table as the over whelming excitement of Caymus being poured produced large crowds. Many a taster raved how great it was.

I was given a bottle of the ‘16 by someone that I had helped with a significant project that I refused to be paid for. Her knowledge of wine is mainly drawn from 80’s and 90’s California Cabernet so I know her heart was absolutely in the right place. I sincerely thanked her for the generous gift.

My plan is to open it sometime when we have the right crowd over for dinner, i.e., no AFWEs. I know it will go over well because of the pedigree. So even if the wine is not in my personal wheelhouse, I think it will still bring me pleasure because it will be enjoyed by others.

Me too except I will flip my remaining 3 bottles of the 2012 with the 50th at a significant mark up