What's the best Pinot Grigio?

I am constantly asked by guests at my house to bring up a bottle of Pinot Grigio when I offer to go down to the cellar to get a bottle of wine. I usually respond with “how about a really good Sauvignon Blanc or German Riesling?” I have no PG in my cellar. However, wanting to be a good host, I really should get a bottle or two to make people happy. A bit like my approach to Malbec, which I do not like but which makes up about 0.1% of my cellar so I have something when people ask for it.

I have no idea what constitutes a good Pinot Grigio or, for that matter, whether such a thing exists. I checked in CT and sorted by rating. The highly rated PGs are wines appear to be number-only TNs with no description. Once I get past the ubiquitous Santa Margherita PG, there are very few producers I have even heard of, and I do not know if it is fair to call Barefoot Cellars a producer. Perhaps Manufacturer would be a better term.

Some of the tasting notes are rather funny. This one on a two year old wine:

2017 California Claassen Pinot Grigio “Big Bay Sunset” orangish-style on colombard skins West Coast Grapes California
10/15/2019 - DUCKYFUFU WROTE: flawed, This one is definitely past its prime.

I do not want to miss out on the opportunity to be a good host and I would just as soon serve a $20 PG to someone who wants it than to force them to drink a Marcassin Chardonnay.

Any recommendations other than, “Give up and don’t invite them again”?

Does pinot gris count? I believe it is the same grape. I had a terrific Zind Humbrecht “St Urbain Rangen de Thann” 2007 recently.

Jay, I find your desire to be the consummate host quite admirable. Though I do think there’s value in potentially turning someone onto something else they might like.

In any event I’m interested in folk’s responses here because I KNOW there is good Pinot Grigio to be had out there, I too simply don’t know where to look.

radikon makes a wonderful pinot grigio that drinks like a deeply colored rosé

If you want to stick with Italy, give Jermann a try.

Radikon is kinda hard to source and I doubt that Pinot Grigio drinkers wd recognize it as PG…Zenato is pretty easy to find and pretty reliable, ie drinkable

I think Terlan would be a good choice. Reasonably Inexpensive and likely to be interesting enough for you to drink and enjoy, and not foreign enough to scare any civilians

Also their Pinot blanc among other whites are very good imo

Good luck!

First thing is region, go for Alto Adige.
A producer I like is Nals Margreid. Their Pungll is very good around $35 Can at the KGBO. The value deal is their basic cuvée which clock in at $19 can and is drinkable.
I used to shun Pinot Grigio until someone introduce me to the $19 version a couple of years ago.

King Estate Domaine Pinot Gris is the best domestic version I have tasted.

Go to from Italy was always Jermann, haven’t had it in a couple vintages since we stopped selling it. Kettmeier is solid for value. Terlan is awesome but pricey.

I find folks who ask for PG generally aren’t asking for a full flavored version like two above and like labels like Santa Margherita.

I dont drink a ton of this grape so most of my reccos are wines we sell well or I have sold.

Jay, I can’t remember an Italian “Pinot Grigio” that I thought was more than just OK, including the over-hyped Santa Margherita. Maybe some here will give us some better examples. On the other hand, Alsatian Pinot Gris never fails to satisfy me. I like the dry frutiness and “purity” of Alsatian wines in general. I can also suggest some Oregon versions. Ponzi is pretty good, Eyrie maybe a little more “sophisticated”, and Eyrie Original Vines is special. Although it might be difficult to persuade wine drinking guests who ask for Pinot Grigio, that Pinot Gris is the same wine!
Cheers, -Jim

P.S. The J-E-T-S looked pretty good Sunday

It has been quite some time since I have had either of these but I remember liking both Livio Felluga and Vie de Romans versions of pinot grigio. My recollection is that they were very different expressions of the grape.

Trimbach (esp. their special cuvée) and Albert Mann make wonderful Pinot Gris. Get one of those or a Zind Humbrecht as suggested earlier. Same grape.

Yes it’s the same grape, but for PG they pick it unripe. The result is hardly any flavor and even less character. \rant

PS Just occurred to me that Pinot Gris with ice cubes might do the trick [snort.gif] neener

I’d go with one of the Alsatian Pinot Gris Howard suggested. Or knuckle under to the Santa Margherita on the assumption that those who request Pinot Grigio will be happy with it. Better yet, lay in some of each and give them a choice and a chance to expand their horizons.

Water

I have Pinot Gris. I never thought of it as the same, but Doh! Grigio in Italian is Gris in French. I have Z-H and Albert Mann. I even have a Scholium Project Pinot Gris, which will undoubtedly be too weird for everyone.

Terlan and Venica & Venica come to mind

Is PG Pinot Gris or Pinot Grigio? [scratch.gif]

Pinot Gris and Pinot Grigio might be the same grape but it’s certainly not the same wine. If someone asks for a glass of Pinot Grigio they won’t be expecting something in looks, taste of weight as a Gris from Alsace (and I concur that I prefer Gris, not Grigio).

In terms of Pinot Grigio probably the best that I’ve had that is usually available is Schiopetto from Collio in Fruli.

1 Like

Terlan
Elena Walch