An evening of Successes: Carillon Puligny Combettes, Bonneau Celestins 2004 and a shocking good old Cabernet

A couple of friends came over, bringing a fabulous Coq au Vin.

The 2010 Carillon was beautiful, fully mature with white peaches, a touch of smoke a bit floral and a lovely finish. 92

I have to say after several Bonneau verticals, I prefer the unfashionable cooler vintages. The 2004 is a favorite, still a short time from being ready, but even so, it was in full gear after an hour in the glass. Rich, dark easy fruit, violets, spices and a lot of pepper. I have gone through a case+ of this, and it has always been around 95. This too 95

The outrageously good Cabernet was a 1978 Stelzner. This was marginally the wine of the evening, showing beautiful mature cassis and a touch of red fruit, mushroom, cedar and leather. Warm, inviting, and totally integrated, it was quite lovely. 96

Cool revelation on Steltzner, I think you missed the 2nd T, regardless 1978 has produced some really fine under the radar Cabs for me too, including Villa Mt. Eden and William Hill Reserve.

I agree with you about Bonneau excelling in cooler vintages. A 1992 Celestins was magnificent when drunk a few weeks ago.

My wine of the year last year. I’m amazed anyone could achieve that kind of balance with CdP.

Thanks Mark. The Steltzner was a beauty, with herbs and leather. My WOTN. I think my first wine from producer, though I’ve had wines ('77 Martin Ray most recently) that used fruit from the vineyard.
I liked the Bonneau a lot, but it suffered from being Chateauneuf, even if an excellent CdP. :slight_smile:
Fun night, great company.

I’ve had a few outstanding 1978 Napa Cabs that really aged beautifully. The William Hill Kris mentions comes to mind, and a Pine Ridge bottling. Fun to hear that the 1978 Stelzner stole the show.

Was the Carillon Louis or Francois?

I think Francois. Dale?

I think 09 was Louis’ last vintage, so I’d think Francois.

Yes, Francois. I got a mixed case of 1ers on Commerce Corner a few years ago, were in offsite, realized I was risking premox, but 3 (Combettes, Perrieres, Referts) I’ve tried this month were fine. But drinking well enough I’m planning on plowing through.