Suggestion for a red to serve at a party

Hey guys
Looking for recommendations on red wines that we can serve at a small party. Something that pairs well with Indian food. Ideally under $40 and available in NY/NJ so that I can get it delivered this week.

Thanks a lot the recommendations.

I have had really good luck matching CNDP with Indian food (no hotter that medium). Otherwise a lighter fruit forward Pinot Noir also works. Avoiding red wines with a lot of tannins is the key for me.

If you are going to have the food hot, I would move to a kabinett or spatlese German Rielsling.

Agree that low tannin is better.

My votes:

• a light-bodied cabernet franc like 2017 Domaine de la Bergerie Anjou “La Cerisaie”. About $20. Had this in NY last month. I read online somewhere that cabernet franc clashes with tumeric dishes though;

• 2016 Domaine Jean Foillard Morgon Les Charmes Eponym or similar gamay. $30+

• Mencia, maybe something with low tannin from Raul Perez

• your favorite rose

Many people recommend riesling, but I think it is overplayed, especially because sometimes people just want a red and may be used to eating spicy food.

St Cosme Cote du Rhône is a great party wine…inexpensive mags make a nice presentation and easy to drink for a non wine geek crowd

The Treana Cabernet would have the “nose” to stand up to Indian spices, and the neophytes would love it.

Plus it can double as an after-dinner Port.

And you can even pour it over a custard & light it on fire & serve it as a flambé.

https://www.wine-searcher.com/find/treana+cabernet/1/usa-ny

It’s a very versatile wine for large gatherings.

New Zealand Pinot Noir. Seaside Cellars has one that needs a few hours of air, but is really tasty once it opens up. Super thrifty too.

It’s a shame that no one in New York seems to stock the old vine Zinfandels which Philippe Melka oversees for Andis.

They’re like Treana for the AFWE.

Classic never gets overplayed. I think the reason that people recommend it, is because it works so well.

To the OP:
I’d find a beaujolais at whatever price point and availability you have. Crush Wine (NYC) has 64 different beaujolais in stock.

TW

Finger Lakes Blaufrankisch

If you throw white wines into the mix, Eric Texier made a wine, called “Cassis”, which was outstanding with Indian food.

But Cellar Tracker seems to indicate that there was only ever one single vintage of it.

Thanks guys.

Any suggestion for a white other than Riesling? Also trying to avoid any of the floral wines (Gruner, gewurztraminer Etc).

Dinesh, we have done a lot of Indian food paired with wine over the past year. Some reds have worked, some have not. Samosa, chicken tikka (anything without the cream base) have worked well with reds that are cool or lightly chilled, such as pinot noir, rose and some zin. I honestly though like the premise of Champagne with Indian, although you’re not looking for that as the pairing.

“Indian food” covers a lot of ground, as I’m sure you know, Dinesh. I think that if you’re looking for a red wine to match a wide range of Indian food, you won’t really find a satisfactory match. Can you give us a better idea of the food, or at least of the dishes you want to match with red wine?

“Indian food” covers a lot of ground, as I’m sure you know, Dinesh. I think that if you’re looking for a red wine to match a wide range of Indian food, you won’t really find a satisfactory match. Can you give us a better idea of the food, or at least of the dishes you want to match with red wine?

I recommend German Kabinett or Spatlese.

Never have done it, but has anyone tried a Ridge Lytton Springs

I’d recommend Txakolina for a white.

Zinfandel is a great choice. Lots of fruit and flavor not to get lost behind the strong flavors, much easier for non wine geek types to like than some of the other reds mentioned in the thread, not much tannin (tannin in wine is amplified by hot spice, making the wine taste extra bitter), and lots of great options under $40.

Zin will also stand up better if there are hotter foods in your meal, compared to most other reds.

Turley, Carlisle, Ridge, Hartford, Seghesio, lots of options. Not sure what is easily available to you where you shop.

I’d go for a dolcetto or a barbera from a good producer like Vajra or Vietti. Fresh and young, with a bit of earthy bitterness works nicely. Also, Lambrusco can be an inspired pairing!

In a thread three years ago, seeking recommendations for red wines with Indian food, I suggested the lightly sparkling, slightly sweet, pink Cerdon du Bugey:

In the same vein, I like California GSM blends, especially those that are a bit heavy on the Grenache. The first time I had the combination, it was because it was all I had in my office and I was going to Utsav in NYC for a pre-theater dinner. I paired it with Rogan Josh and the pairing was surprisingly excellent. BUT note that I like GSM blends anyway.