Sad Passing of one of the great wine importers to the US

I got a call last week from one of my good friends that his father had passed away. His father happens to be none other than Mr. Chateauneuf du Pape, Alain Junguenet. I saw that Czerwinski posted this today, and thought I would share.

That’s sad news. Very nice guy. Years ago at A Toute Heure, my wife and I were one of two tables left in the restaurant. Alain and his wife were at the other table and the proprietor introduced us. Alain’s wife seemed amused that I was so interested in speaking with her husband. Pretty sure we went thru a bottle of 98 Donjon that night.

That’s very sad news. I remember going to his table at Boston wine expo back in the 90s and early 2000s and it was always a highlight table. One year I happen to be in wearing a number 3 Dale earnhardt cap and he lit up and really engaged me in some race talk and turns out he was a race car driver before his wine career. A real gentleman who was always very pleasant and genuinely helpful

One of the great characters of the wine business and someone who was generous and patient with a young man in the wine business a couple decades ago. RIP.

Very sad news indeed. I very much enjoyed Alain’s company the few times he joined our NJ group for dinner. Condolences to John and his family.

That was always one of the best tables at the expo.

His father happens to be none other than Mr. Chateauneuf du Pape, Alain Junguenet.

That’s what he was for sure. I’d see him at those trade shows and he was one of the rare importers who treated his retail customers like they mattered, rather than being dismissive of them. And a decent guy to his competitors as well.

RIP

Sad news. My first great CdP experiences were wines imported the Junguenets, and one of my favorite wine memories was having dinner with them at La Beaugraviere.

I am quite sorry to hear that. I never met him but have loved so many of his selections.

Sad news and my condolences to his family and friends. I only met him briefly a couple of times, he was perfectly cordial to a competitor, which is the way it should be.

I was lucky in one respect… he visited Pegau shortly before I visited for the first time. Of course he knew the wines were good, but he already had so many agencies in Chateauneuf that he didn’t feel he could add one more… so the wines were available when I got there.

Dan Kravitz