TN: Modales Winery Visit (Michigan)

I had the opportunity to stop into this new winery which opened a couple months ago. It is located in the Fennville AVA in southwest Michigan. They built a new winery building and tasting room which is quite attractive (and still partially under consrtuction). The owner has a collaboration with the owner of the Glenn Vineyard who has been supplying grapes to many of the wineries in the area over the years. The winemaker formerly worked at Duckhorn in California. I was very impressed with the quality of the wines here and highly recommend a visit if you are in the area (this is next door to Virtue Cidery which is another worthwhile stop). Here are my notes:

Whites

• 2016 Modales Gewürztraminer - USA, Michigan, Lake Michigan Shore, Fennville (10/14/2019)
    Tasted at the winery next to the 2017. Yellow hue. sweet nose but dry on the palate. Lusher and less acidity than the 2017. Notes of petrol and quince. (87 pts.)
  • 2017 Modales Gewürztraminer - USA, Michigan, Lake Michigan Shore, Fennville (10/14/2019)
    Tasted at the winery next to the 2016 vintage. Clear pale straw color. Fresher and spicier than the 2016. Dry profile with pear and ginger notes. Drink this over the next year. (89 pts.)
  • 2018 Modales Pinot Blanc - USA, Michigan, Lake Michigan Shore, Fennville (10/14/2019)
    Tasted at the winery. My favorite white that I tried and a purchase at $22. Clear white color. Crisp and tart. Notes of honey crisp apple and citrus. (90 pts.)
  • 2016 Modales Riesling Dry - USA, Michigan, Lake Michigan Shore, Fennville (9/8/2019)
    Opened by Jim Lester. This is a new winery and this is the first vintage for them. The owner formally worked at Duckhorn. Sourced from the Esperanza Vineyard. Alsatian in style. Medium yellow color. Rich and minerally with yellow apple notes. Lower acidity. (88 pts.)

Rose

• 2018 Modales Rosé - USA, Michigan, Lake Michigan Shore, Fennville (10/14/2019)
    Tasted at the winery. A blend of mostly Cabernet Franc with some Cabernet Sauvignon as well. Light pink color. Bracing acidity in this bone dry wine. notes of strawberries and cranberry. I bought a bottle for $20. (89 pts.)

Reds

• 2017 Modales Pinot Noir - USA, Michigan, Lake Michigan Shore, Fennville (10/14/2019)
    Tasted at the winery. My favorite wine. Sourced from the Glenn Vineyard. Garnet color. This was a big full bodied Pinot made in a more California style. Meaty texture with cranberry and pomegranite notes. This leans toward a more earthy style with firm tannins. (91 pts.)
  • 2016 Modales Cabernet Franc - USA, Michigan, Lake Michigan Shore, Fennville (10/14/2019)
    Tasted at the winery. This was a dry wine which was more earthy than fruity with had notes of black currant and leather. Solid tannins. (88 pts.)

VM

Jeff,

Tx for the notes, I’m always on the lookout for MI wineries and this one is only about an hour from my Sister and B-I-L.

Thanks for visiting, I am so appreciative of you coming out and taking the time to review our wines.

Welcome to the board Andrew. Jim Lester recommended I visit. I’ve known Jim for almost 20 years and he has been helping me with my small Pinot Noir vineyard outside South Haven. You are doing a great job on the wines I tried. I’ll be recommending Modales to others in the area.

VM

I would love to meet you someday, maybe our paths will cross, want to stay connected with fellow oenophiles in the area.