Blankiet STIll deserves more attention on board ! Long and slightly interesting

As many are aware Blaniet winery has had a bit of success and has been fashioned by many renowned winemakers. I have likely not covered them all but ones I am aware of are Helen Turley, whom would suspect made a bit more ripe, style. More recently the winemaker was Dennis Malbec.of C Latour fame.

As many of you are aware Dennis perished recently in a car accident. As the Blankiets were looking for a talented winemaker to fashion the wine in a pretty classic style without monster extraction and super ripeness, they wisely picked Graeme MacDonald.

Graemes first vintage where he was In charge.from start to finish is the 2016

Sorry to bore everyone with the backstory but thought some might not know.
With my slightly educated palate I will give my impessions of a 2012 Paradise Hills Peoprietary blend that I brought to a Cali Cab Bordeaux tasting I held with my group

My day was slightly hectic, so no chance to decant pop n pour. Fortunately that worked out great as it was open for business. It did get slightly better over the next few hours but not significantly. Did not take details notes but ido recall a gorgeous wine. I would describe as classic. No jammy super ripe fruit picked at high brix. There was some red and black fruit. Tannins and acid were there but well integrated. It did have a slightly more old school feel as it is a blend of 81 % cab 16% merlot and smidgen of cab Franc and petite verdot.

To my palate, and I have drank alot of cal and French wines it was somewhat akin to a left bank medoc. I do like botdeaux blends from Ca very much and esp when they exhibit such elegance and finesse. It was so well balanced with nice pure fruit that it was great with or without food. The wine to me is in a perfect place right now with many years left
Highly recommended ! 95+ easily

PS Although I loved the paradise hills. I was intrigued by the new offering of the Mythicus which was bestowed 100 points by both good old Jeb and Antonio. Could be wrong as that’s from memory. Sorry for long note ! Luckily I dont post them too often !

I have a client that would likely love this. And I know he has not tried Blankiet. How do I find it?

Thanks for the note Jonathan and agree that they should get more attention. Price points could have something to do with it ?? We’ve had a couple of great visits with Claude but stopped buying after 2013 along with all wines at those price points. I love Denis Malbec wines and luckily have a decent stash of these and Kapcsandy. I will have to try the 16 as I think Graeme will do a great job with the site. I am not surprised at all that Claude picked him after the unfortunate passing of Denis.

On another note I have a 2009 Kap Grand Vin open for later tonight to celebrate my nephews birthday.

Robert- It looks like it’s available at Benchmark in Napa.

I think this is one you might like and if you make it to Tampa and not at Bern’s happy to open one up. I haven’t checked on them since 2015.

Thanks, Fred. That’s generous!

Stopped by in June to see what changes Graeme was bringing. Enjoyed the wines considerably more with him at the helm. I hope they give him free reign. Have not opened anything beyond the 16 prince of hearts, but it was solid.

Is a great and currently the only way to have Graeme made wine outside of cracking a bottle of MAC

You might also try Total wine. They tend to get the entey level Prince of Hearts for sure, maybe the higher end stuff too.

I would just call the winery direct. Tell them you have heard great things about the wine and would love to purchase some. The answer is always no unless you ask!

fyi- I posted 3 year vertical 10, 12 and 13 for sale on Commerce Corner.

I felt burned with the early 2000s versions, 03, 04, 05…haven’t tried since, unbalanced across the board. May be time to revisit.

They are very different wines from then. Helen Turley made those. Denis Malbec took over I think in 07 and made them until he passed away. Graeme McDonald took over and finished the 16’s I believe and have made them since. I haven’t had a chance to taste them since 13 but they’re terrific wines now.

Love Blankiet. From the Prince of Hearts (best QPR in Napa?) to the Rive Droite (best merlot in Napa?). Never had the Mythicus, but I really like what they do. I often check Benchmark and other places to see if they have some discounted…and noticed that Vinfolio has the three on Commerce Corner for a bit less, if anyone is interested.