TN: Krug 168eme, 2006 DomP, 2008 La Grande Dame...

Wife and I spent the last few days moving our first born daughter into college down in Hollywood Ca. (AMDA)…SO tough to let your baby go! [cry.gif] We finally were able to venture out, and ended up in Beverly Hills, walking around Rodeo Dr. Wife needed a bathroom…so we found one next to the Montage Hotel…and decided to have a little lunch and a MUCH needed drink! People drinking Champagne, enjoying the sunshine…we decided to check out Gilles at Montage. Noticed right off a flight of Champagne…an easy decision! Asked jokingly if they had any 08 Salon…our server said he would check…but I stopped him saying I was only joking. He then pointed out the person sitting next to us, Dennis Overstreet, the proprietor of the Wine Merchant Beverly Hills…he might have it! [shock.gif] That’s ok…I need that money for my daughters tuition! Ok…back to reality…had an AMAZING French Onion Soup with charred bread and Comte cheese! An absolute perfect pair with the Krug! Krug 168eme…2012 base, with reserves to 1996. A knockout mv! Although totally Krug…creamy ginger mousse, bright lemon tart acidity, chiseled minerality, perfect level of oxidation, deeply nuanced, bright with freshness…it reminded me of the 08 DP, in that how well balanced and in perfect form already right out of the gate. Blew the other two out of the water!(96pts) 2006 Dom Perignon…seemed a little disjointed…angry sharp acidity up front, some nice subtle caramel creme and smoke on the finish…lacking a creamy mousse, more prickling bubbles…just wasn’t doing it for both the wife and I…especially after all the 08’s we’ve had.(90pts) 2008 Veuve Clicquot La Grande Dame…started out a little sweet and simple to me? That Krug was murdering these others! But it gained…showing subtle and very pretty florals and perfume…pears and green apple, rhubarb…a cool mint tea thing reminded me of Ramonet…brioche mousse, delicate bubbles…mellow acidity at first, but did perk up. Wife had a fresher pour that did seem to have more energy in it. Nice elegant Champ…but back to that KRUG!(93pts) champagne.gif

Nicely done…my kinda lunch!

Wow, had no idea the 168 was already out. Would love your take on it vs the 164/165. Sounds like it’s as accessible as the 165 was on release?

I recall that GC in half bottles comes out earlier than the 750s.

you were so close—40 miles from the OC. Next time!

Yea but that’s like 2 hrs with your crazy LA traffic! Took us 30mins to go .5 miles from AMDA back to our hotel thurs night! Found out when there is a concert at the Hollywood Bowl…stay off the streets!

helicopter!

.5 miles is walking distance!