TN: 2002 Seavey Cabernet Sauvignon Estate

Seavey was a favorite Cab of ours when we were still purchasing Cab (and blends like Bordeaux). We don’t drink much Cab or Cab Blends these days but wine like the 2002 Seavey last night just might change ones mind. :slight_smile:

The wine is still a dark purple, color is holding amazingly well. Very aromatic, cassis, dark berry, cedar with hint of vanilla. Full and concentrated (not extracted) flavors of cassis, plum, blackberry with cedar - graphite, wet soil, sweet tobacco and a touch of resinous vanilla. This is still a big Cab with a long future of development ahead. Moderate acidity and some ripe tannin complete the package. No heat but the mouthfeel is full and coats the palate. Finally the finish is long and balanced. If you have some, consider yourself lucky.

Paired with my wife’s red wine braised short ribs it was as good as it gets.

2002 Seavey Cabernet Sauvignon Estate
IMG_20191012_111231.jpg

I love this wine. Nice note

The 2003 is also a terrific wine, and not just in the context of the vintage.

excellent bottle

Tom’

I was buying a lot of Seavey cabs back in the 1999-2004 time frame. Still have about a case in the cellar including 4 of the '04’s. The '04’s have been delicious during the last 5 years. They take a while to come around but are really worth the wait. I have '01’s that are just hitting their drinking window.

Don, agree on the 2001. I think it will wind up even better that 2002 we had the other night. Seavey was always our favorite Napa Cab, haven’t had any vintage in the past decade or so. Has their style changed at all.

Tom

Tom,

I have read in other threads that they have changed to a more modern style but I cannot say from experience. My youngest vintage is 2004.

Thanks Don, i’m in the same boat as you.

Tom