TN: Carlisle, Pavelot, PG, Campesino . . .

Recent interesting bottles:

Pavelot 1er Cru Les Gravains Pinot Noir 2005. No nose, tart, light cherry on the palate, acidic. I don’t get anything resembling the dense fruit, earthy notes on CT. Doesn’t seem to have enough fruit to age into something better. Little pleasure in this so maybe I’m not cut out for lower-end Burgundy.

Fattoria Le Pupille Poggio Valente 2015. Decanted 1.5 hours. Full of earthy, dusty, cherry sangiovese fruit with tannins that continued to soften with air. Nice match with chicken with sun-dried tomato sauce and cannellini with pesto. Drinkable now with the decant but will hold remaining bottles as it has room to improve.

Patricia Green Berserkers Cuvee Pinot Noir 2013. Red cherry, cranberry, that seems softer, more integrated than previous bottles. Drinking well now, but not sure there is any upside to holding it longer, however, I have not had many older pinots.

Paetra K Riesling. 2016. Nice crisp, lighter, drier style with some lemon notes; well balanced and paired well with cheeses, light apps. Nice value.

Campesino Sangiacomo Old Lakeville Road Syrah 2013. Much more integrated than a previoius bottle; concentrated darker fruits with slightly smoky notes. Drank well with a 1-hr decant.

Carlisle Sonoma County Syrah 2014. Maybe a casualty of Carlisle expectations, but this bottle did not show well; faint nose, some darker fruit and black pepper, but very muted flavors, very simple. Nothing really flawed, just not much “there” there. Saved the rest and no real change two days later; dumb phase?

Paetra K is a very good QPR especially if bought on BS day.

Stephen, when red Burgundy is in its ‘closed’ stage, there isn’t any fruit flavors or aromas to speak of, regardless of how ‘big’ a vintage it is.

Some RB never close down, but they are the exception. Try your 2005 in 5 or 10 years time and see if it has opened up if you have any more.

Thanks, James, that’s good to know. I do have two more of this and the Jadot Dominode and will wait and hope they show better. I have had several older SLB’s that I enjoyed with classic funky/earthy/mushroomy, dark red fruit flavors and was hoping 2005 would provide a similar experience.