A pair of Louis Boillots

I bought a small cache of Volnay Anges and Gevrey Evocelles 2009s, and served them on consecutive evenings. I can’t say I generally drink Burgundy this young, but curious to compare the two.

The Volnay was the more concentrated of the two, and was showing beautifully, with intense red fruit and an oyster shell minerality. Medium finish. Very impressive, and with a long future ahead. 93

The Gevrey was easier, the fruit lovely and showing plenty of spices and licorice. While the Volnay could use a lot more time, this was all but ready, and drinking well now. 91

Thanks Mark,

I have really enjoyed his 09 AC Volnay the couple times I had it. The Anges sounds even better. Thanks for the heads up.

What is the Louis Boillot house style? I was under the impression they may be gentler and made for approachable young drinking?

They don’t strike me as that easy; the Volnay needs a decade plus, and the Evocelles is drinking well now but will be better in five years. They are pretty enough, but there is some good structure, and the potential, particular, with the Volnay, some serious tertiary complexity.

An '09 Cherbaudes was enjoyable, but still turned-in, earlier this year.