TN: 2014 Clos du Val Cabernet Sauvignon Napa Valley (USA, California, Napa Valley)

I remember all the notes on the 13 bottle variation. I still have a few of those but found this digging around the cellar. I’ll be looking for more.

• 2014 Clos du Val Cabernet Sauvignon Napa Valley - USA, California, Napa Valley (10/13/2019)
    Dark in color with a nose of red and black fruit. Taste very similar on the palate with cassis and earth tones complementing the fruit very well. It has a nice backbone of acidity and silky tannin. This has some real verve and energy to it and is outstanding for it’s price point. Upon initial opening it’s a bit bigger and there was a slight bite in the finish but one hour in the decanter brought everything together. This is still young and should age wonderfully. It’s made in a classic style that I really appreciate. (92 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Thanks for the note, Fred. I have one somewhere downstairs that was given to me as a gift. Will have to check it out soon.

I thought it was a good wine at the time. I stashed half a case away.

I’m looking for some more to do the same.

If it’s still at full retail it shouldn’t be hard to find. A local store couldn’t move a bottle until they put it on sale in the low 30’s.

It’s still out there, but on WSPro prices for the 2014 start in the mid $40s now. I think they were pretty easy to find in the mid to high $20s at the time, though I’m just going off memory, I don’t keep records of these things.

From my recollection of the wine, it’s still a solid, if not spectacular, value in the mid to high $40s, considering what Napa cab sells for these days.

I thought I’d bring back the 2015 thread on the 2013. Clos du Val is a solid cab, but when you get to the 49.99 level, there is a lot of competition, and fewer buyers. The same 2014 bottles still sit at my local TW, and I doubt the 15 or the 16 will make it through this stores inventory.