TN: 2007 Scherrer Winery Cabernet Sauvignon Alexander Valley

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Roger Ouellette
GCC Member
GCC Member

TN: 2007 Scherrer Winery Cabernet Sauvignon Alexander Valley

#1 Post by Roger Ouellette » October 12th, 2019, 6:39 am

2007 Scherrer Winery Cabernet Sauvignon Alexander Valley - USA, California, Sonoma County, Alexander Valley (10/12/2019)
Just an amazing '07 Alexander Valley cab. Elegant and complex, still singing with layers of primary fruit mainly black and red cherry with a hint of chocolate. Tannins are fully resolved and silken and the acidity is bright. This went great with a grilled filet. (93 pts.)

Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: TN: 2007 Scherrer Winery Cabernet Sauvignon Alexander Valley

#2 Post by Brian Tuite » October 12th, 2019, 7:57 am

Hard to go wrong. That ‘04 the other night was stunning.
Bob Wood - 1949-2013 Berserker for eternity! RIP

"On self-reflection, I think a big part of it was me just being a PITA customer..." ~ Anonymous Berserker

"Something so subtle only I can detect it." ~ Randy Bowman

2019 WOTY...

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#3 Post by Todd F r e n c h » October 12th, 2019, 8:46 am

I used to drink quite a bit of Scherrer Zin and Cab - need to get more! I've missed the Alexander Valley Cabs most of all
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)

Jason T
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4 Post by Jason T » October 14th, 2019, 4:01 pm

Never had Scherrer before but that note reminds me that Alexander Valley Cabs with some age really can shine.
J@son Tr@ughber

Wes Barton
GCC Member
GCC Member

#5 Post by Wes Barton » October 14th, 2019, 5:02 pm

Excellent Pinot Noir producer, too.
ITB - Useless lackey

"I've acquired enough wine to seduce an elephant." - Jennifer Robin

Diane Kessler
GCC Member
GCC Member

#6 Post by Diane Kessler » October 14th, 2019, 6:46 pm

Cellartracker shows I still have one of these. Now I have to find it. Great note.

David Baum

#7 Post by David Baum » October 14th, 2019, 6:59 pm

Wes Barton wrote:
October 14th, 2019, 5:02 pm
Excellent everything. Chardonnay and Zin are both great too

Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8 Post by Brian Tuite » October 14th, 2019, 8:10 pm

Jason T wrote:
October 14th, 2019, 4:01 pm
Never had Scherrer before but that note reminds me that Alexander Valley Cabs with some age really can shine.
Tell me about it! This was awesome the other night.
280A0FC5-98C8-4B01-8A15-7259FD3B5111.jpeg

"On self-reflection, I think a big part of it was me just being a PITA customer..." ~ Anonymous Berserker

2019 WOTY...

Mike Evans
GCC Member
GCC Member

#9 Post by Mike Evans » October 15th, 2019, 6:50 am

Wes Barton wrote:
And Zinfandel. A 2001 Shale Terrace over weekend was still quite enjoyable.

MitchTallan
GCC Member
GCC Member

#10 Post by MitchTallan » October 15th, 2019, 8:23 am

I opened a 2001 Scherrer Cab Alexander Valley this weekend. It was stellar. Showed no signs of age, had a soaring aroma, everything in harmony and balance. It was served at a dinner party with two women present who were interested in wine but largely buy big bottled, big blends from Costco. The Scherrer followed, of all things, an '02 Kay Block 6 that I also brought. They opened the Kay first because they figured that with a screw cap, it could not be that special and brought it out to the patio where I was sitting with the men drinking scotch. First they reveled over the Kay and then the Scherrer. I found that amusing.

Mike Grammer
GCC Member
GCC Member

#11 Post by Mike Grammer » October 15th, 2019, 9:46 am

Per Mike, ditto the older Zins. We just had a 2001 Shale Terrace Zin at a blind tasting that fooled us into being an 80s Bordeaux or an older higher-end Beaujolais. Wonderful juice. My note:

"Tomato leaf, currant, tobacco. This is fine and nice--acid pops all over the mouth. Good structure, some rhubarb for me. I say France, 1985, can't decide between Bordeaux and Beaujolais--I haven't had an old enough one. Oh wow. 2001 Scherrer Shale Terrace Zin This is a marvelous discovery. We all loved what this was."

Mike
Lived Life. With Love. Full Cup

Sherri S h a p i r o
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#12 Post by Sherri S h a p i r o » October 15th, 2019, 10:18 am

Wonderful wine - I drank mine a while ago. I still have quite a few of Fred's zins on hand, which I also love. But I need to start buying his cabs again.

Chris Seiber
GCC Member
GCC Member

#13 Post by Chris Seiber » October 15th, 2019, 10:58 am

The 2015 cab appears to be available on their website, $66.

MitchTallan
GCC Member
GCC Member

#14 Post by MitchTallan » October 15th, 2019, 12:02 pm

Chris Seiber wrote:
October 15th, 2019, 10:58 am
The 2015 cab appears to be available on their website, $66.
Which is my "problem". As good as the above referenced 2001 was, I have a hard time paying $66 for an Alexander Valley Cab direct from the winery. I am not saying that the price charged is elevated, I am only talking about my own sticker reaction. As we all know, we all have radically different comfort levels. All of the Scherrer wines have gone from being bargain-priced to being right at the point where I look elsewhere. In fact, only four or five years ago I was paying $45 for Scherrer Alexander Valley Cab from a bar/restaurant here in town (The Rossi, Short North, Columbus). The fact that I stay away from virtually all Cali pinot does not help. I hope for Fred's sake he is able to sell all of his wine. I have no idea what his retail/direct to consumer mix is but I would guess it is roughly 60-40 based on what I see on restaurant wine lists here in Ohio (common) and on retail shelves (uncommon but present) versus hearing from other enthusiasts that they buy direct.

Wes Barton
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15 Post by Wes Barton » October 15th, 2019, 1:27 pm

Mike Evans wrote:
October 15th, 2019, 6:50 am
Wes Barton wrote:
He gets a certain amount of praise here for his Zins and Cabs, and Todd had already mentioned the Zin in this thread. Interesting to hear about his Chard in David's response - I haven't ever seen one, but should keep an eye out. Anyway, I was thinking about waxing on more than just saying excellent. Maybe another way to put it is if I wrote up a short list of who I think are the best CA PN producers, he'd be on it.
ITB - Useless lackey

"I've acquired enough wine to seduce an elephant." - Jennifer Robin

Roger Ouellette
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16 Post by Roger Ouellette » October 15th, 2019, 1:49 pm

Wes Barton wrote:
I have to admit that as much as I love his cabs and zins, I am always amazed with what he does with pinot, top of my list is the Hallberg Vineyard pinot, have yet to find a weak vintage, incredible fruit and fantastic wine.

David Baum

#17 Post by David Baum » October 15th, 2019, 3:21 pm

Wes Barton wrote:
October 15th, 2019, 1:27 pm
Mike Evans wrote:
Wes Barton wrote:

Took a trip up with a bunch of friends and met GregT +1 to do a trading with Fred. He must have opened 15 bottles and all were very good. I buy my usual Zin futures spilt case and whatever else strikes my fancy each year. At the tasting a bunch of us left with his Helfer vineyard chardonnay which was exceptional. Regular chardonnay bottling also very good.

He gets a certain amount of praise here for his Zins and Cabs, and Todd had already mentioned the Zin in this thread. Interesting to hear about his Chard in David's response - I haven't ever seen one, but should keep an eye out. Anyway, I was thinking about waxing on more than just saying excellent. Maybe another way to put it is if I wrote up a short list of who I think are the best CA PN producers, he'd be on it.

David Baum

#18 Post by David Baum » October 15th, 2019, 4:40 pm

David Baum wrote:
October 15th, 2019, 3:21 pm
Wes Barton wrote:
October 15th, 2019, 1:27 pm
Mike Evans wrote:

Took a trip up with a bunch of friends and met GregT and his +1 to do a tasting with Fred a couple years ago. He must have opened 15 bottles and all were very good. I buy my usual Zin futures spilt case and whatever else strikes my fancy each year. At the tasting a bunch of us left with his Helfer vineyard chardonnay which was exceptional. Regular chardonnay bottling also very good.

PHuff
GCC Member
GCC Member

#19 Post by PHuff » October 15th, 2019, 4:58 pm

So on Winesearcher, I see the following listed:

Scherrer Alexander Valley Cabernet
Scherrer Sonoma County Cabernet
Scherrer "Scherrer Vineyard" Cabernet

Are these indeed separate and distinct wines? Or is Winesearcher just listing them by slightly different names but they are really the same wine?

This might be a dumb question but I often find that Winesearcher has multiple listings for wines by slightly different names that are in fact all the same wine.
Paul

Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member

#20 Post by Brian Tuite » October 15th, 2019, 8:40 pm

PHuff wrote:
October 15th, 2019, 4:58 pm
So on Winesearcher, I see the following listed:

Scherrer Alexander Valley Cabernet
Scherrer Sonoma County Cabernet
Scherrer "Scherrer Vineyard" Cabernet

Are these indeed separate and distinct wines? Or is Winesearcher just listing them by slightly different names but they are really the same wine?

This might be a dumb question but I often find that Winesearcher has multiple listings for wines by slightly different names that are in fact all the same wine.
They are all the same, all Fred’s Cabs are Estate fruit.

2019 WOTY...

Roger Ouellette
GCC Member
GCC Member

#21 Post by Roger Ouellette » October 16th, 2019, 9:17 am

Brian, Paul but if you go to the Scherrer website you'll see that there are indeed three different cabs, however when you look at the Specifications for each one all of the fruit comes from the Scherrer Vineyard just different sections with different rootstock.

PHuff
GCC Member
GCC Member

#22 Post by PHuff » October 16th, 2019, 10:56 am

Roger Ouellette wrote:
October 16th, 2019, 9:17 am
Brian, Paul but if you go to the Scherrer website you'll see that there are indeed three different cabs, however when you look at the Specifications for each one all of the fruit comes from the Scherrer Vineyard just different sections with different rootstock.
Thanks for the clarification Roger.......
Paul

Chris Seiber
GCC Member
GCC Member

#23 Post by Chris Seiber » October 16th, 2019, 11:06 pm

Roger Ouellette wrote:

Andrew Demaree
GCC Member
GCC Member

#24 Post by Andrew Demaree » October 17th, 2019, 3:45 am

There is definitely a difference between the three Scherrer cabs, despite the fruit all coming from the same place. The vineyard designated wine is a solid step up, for my palate, from the other two. It’s an excellent wine and one that can improve in the cellar for 15+ years.

Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member

#25 Post by Brian Tuite » October 17th, 2019, 5:43 am

Roger Ouellette wrote:
Thanks Roger!
089A8594-33A0-4145-B96D-8D729AAEF62F.jpeg

2019 WOTY...

Fred Scherrer

#26 Post by Fred Scherrer » November 17th, 2019, 8:32 am

Chris Seiber wrote:
October 16th, 2019, 11:06 pm
Roger Ouellette wrote:
Even as a joke, I find this disturbing as people generally gloss over the surface of a subject and make judgments based on no real information. It invalidates what I'm working so damn hard to execute.

Fact: The cabs are from the property owned by our family. The soils and rootstock vary and the resulting wines are different. I put them into separate cuvees according to their best destiny. The top wine, Scherrer Vineyard, is the part that speaks uniquely of the site. The AV bottling speaks of the region more than the site. When there is a part or two that don't happen to fit perfectly into either of the two AND are delicious, I simply call it Sonoma County (maybe 1 in 4 vintages).

I must not be communicating this very effectively and will consider how to be better at it.

Right now, I have our 2019 cabs on skins, coasting thru their post-fermentation maceration, gelling and revealing their personalities. While I don't do a lot of analysis and do not really base decisions upon numbers, the areas that are the core of the Scherrer Vineyard bottling have at least 1 g/L higher density at dryness than the AV areas. Usually, the pH of the AV lots is lower. However, this year the pH's are more similar (may be rainfall related). The density difference remains consistent.

It is also a bit discouraging to hear that despite even Robert Parker writing that the best sites in AV are equal to the best sites in Napa, there is a glass ceiling for pricing on AV cabs, despite the quality.

F

Andrew Demaree
GCC Member
GCC Member

#27 Post by Andrew Demaree » November 17th, 2019, 9:14 am

Good to see you on here, Fred. I definitely need to branch out and try your Pinots and Syrahs, but I love what you do with Cab and Zinfandel. I interacted a bit with Judi yesterday re: the library sale and was reminded again what a pleasure it is to be one of your customers.

Chris Seiber
GCC Member
GCC Member

#28 Post by Chris Seiber » November 17th, 2019, 10:43 am

Fred Scherrer wrote:
November 17th, 2019, 8:32 am
Chris Seiber wrote:
October 16th, 2019, 11:06 pm
Roger Ouellette wrote:
Even as a joke, I find this disturbing as people generally gloss over the surface of a subject and make judgments based on no real information. It invalidates what I'm working so damn hard to execute.

Fact: The cabs are from the property owned by our family. The soils and rootstock vary and the resulting wines are different. I put them into separate cuvees according to their best destiny. The top wine, Scherrer Vineyard, is the part that speaks uniquely of the site. The AV bottling speaks of the region more than the site. When there is a part or two that don't happen to fit perfectly into either of the two AND are delicious, I simply call it Sonoma County (maybe 1 in 4 vintages).

I must not be communicating this very effectively and will consider how to be better at it.

Right now, I have our 2019 cabs on skins, coasting thru their post-fermentation maceration, gelling and revealing their personalities. While I don't do a lot of analysis and do not really base decisions upon numbers, the areas that are the core of the Scherrer Vineyard bottling have at least 1 g/L higher density at dryness than the AV areas. Usually, the pH of the AV lots is lower. However, this year the pH's are more similar (may be rainfall related). The density difference remains consistent.

It is also a bit discouraging to hear that despite even Robert Parker writing that the best sites in AV are equal to the best sites in Napa, there is a glass ceiling for pricing on AV cabs, despite the quality.

F
Fred, I apologize for the joke, the conversation just reminded me of a classic Simpsons moment.

Thanks for taking time to explain. I love your wines and have been buying directly from you for a number of years now.

Fred Scherrer

#29 Post by Fred Scherrer » November 17th, 2019, 11:26 am

Chris,

Thanks. I get the joke too. I have heard a lot of that stuff goes on in the wine industry. But not in this case.

F

Return to “Wine Talk”