A Fizzy Oregon Pinot Noir

I’ve seen fizzy white wines but not too many reds. Wine was pretty acidic. From the 2011 vintage. What is going on? Is it still fermenting in the bottle?

How fizzy? If a few iterations of “the Shake” dispels the fizz without it frothing out of the bottle, it is probably too much CO2 at bottling. Cork or screwcap?

Otherwise, secondary fermentation. Most of the wines from that year are lean and taut, so I can imagine a winemaker trying to help the weight and mouthfeel by retaining a bit of RS.

It was a cork. The wine had pushed up on the side of the cork. It wasn’t to the top but half way up. I’m guessing they tried to retain some RS to provide balance. It was very acidic upon opening but is smoothing out after being open for two hours.

I looked on cellar tracker and many others had mentioned similar notes on this wine.

Was it Cameron? I’ve returned some of that due to secondary fermentation.

It was 2011 Anderson Family Pinot. It got much better as the night wore on. The shrill acidity retreated to the background. There were other notes on Cellar Tracker mentioning similar things about this wine. I love all of the other vintages of Cliff’s Pinots. They are some of the best values in Oregon. His Chardonnay is uniformly excellent.