Best place to sell a few cases of wine?

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

Best place to sell a few cases of wine?

#1 Post by Jay Miller » October 11th, 2019, 7:19 am

I'm thinking of unloading a smallish amount (4 cases or so) of wine which has appreciated beyond where I feel comfortable drinking it and where I feel no particular emotional attachment to the bottles in question. Plus some wine which may not come around in my lifetime like my 1996 Gouges.

Do auction houses accept such a small quantity? I've never sent anything to auction so I'm not sure how that works.

Or maybe a retail store or place like Benchmark would be better?

I'm thinking of trying Commerce Corner first though I feel a little guilty doing so given that I'd only be selling wines that I consider overpriced. And if I do so, what's standard? Something like 15% below wine-searcher low price? And unless I do NYC /NJ pick up only I really don't want to fuss with shipping.

I haven't decided for certain since I bought all these wines to drink but my wine consumption keeps going down and I really want to redo the bathroom...

Anyway, all advice welcome (other than the usual from Nathan Smyth). I only started thinking about this last week so nothing is set in stone.
Ripe fruit isn't necessarily a flaw.

Jonathan Loesberg

Re: Best place to sell a few cases of wine?

#2 Post by Jonathan Loesberg » October 11th, 2019, 7:26 am

I sold on Commerce Corner and it worked out quite nicely. Since Wine Searcher lists retail prices, somewhat below that will sell the wine and do nicely. And I wouldn't feel guilty. What you think is overpriced, someone else will consider a bargain. I have only sold wine a couple of times, though, so I don't have other experience to compare.

AndyK

#3 Post by AndyK » October 11th, 2019, 7:27 am

It may be a felony to ship wine as an individual without proper license and you’ll never be able to work again blahblah
k0berl

YLee

#4 Post by YLee » October 11th, 2019, 7:35 am

Jay Miller wrote:
October 11th, 2019, 7:19 am
Anyway, all advice welcome (other than the usual from Nathan Smyth).
Lol!

I guess it doesnt hurt to post on CC first?
-¥ 0 ñ 9

Nathan V.

#5 Post by Nathan V. » October 11th, 2019, 7:41 am

Jay Miller wrote:
I'm thinking of unloading a smallish amount (4 cases or so) of wine which has appreciated beyond where I feel comfortable drinking it and where I feel no particular emotional attachment to the bottles in question. Plus some wine which may not come around in my lifetime like my 1996 Gouges.

Do auction houses accept such a small quantity? I've never sent anything to auction so I'm not sure how that works.

I'm thinking of trying Commerce Corner first though I feel a little guilty doing so given that I'd only be selling wines that I consider overpriced. And if I do so, what's standard? Something like 15% below wine-searcher low price? And unless I do NYC /NJ pick up only I really don't want to fuss with shipping.

I haven't decided for certain since I bought all these wines to drink but my wine consumption keeps going down and I really want to redo the bathroom...

Anyway, all advice welcome (other than the usual from Nathan Smyth). I only started thinking about this last week so nothing is set in stone.
I've never sold to Benchmark, but I have to Chambers and Flatiron and both were good experiences. Depending on where you store your wine, MWC might be an easy option as well.

I've consigned small lots (4-5 cases) to WineBid and to Leland Little. Leland is 20 minutes from my house, so that's easy. I would think Zachy's or Acker would take small lots for the online auction but I would probably contact a retailer. They may even give you a better rate if you want to trade for store credit.
ITB-ish.
V = V a n der g r i f t

Pat Martin

#6 Post by Pat Martin » October 11th, 2019, 7:48 am

Most auction houses I have dealt with have a minimum value for consignments. If the total value is >$5k, I believe K&L will accept it at a 15% commission (10% if >$10k). I’ve sold through K&L and Winebid, and both worked fine. I’d opt for K&L going forward.
P@ tr!ck M 8rt!n

Sh@n A
GCC Member
GCC Member

#7 Post by Sh@n A » October 11th, 2019, 7:51 am

Definitely give a look to Commerce Corner. I would price to where you would sell, and don't find WS prices as relevant as much as auction price net of your paddle cost (as this is your best alternative sales route), ie a discount to auction. Ideal price is premium to a discount to auction, but less than auction (so both seller and buyer wins). Going the auction route has the extra shipping, middle man, tax, and so many other fees.
Last edited by Sh@n A on October 11th, 2019, 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
/ @ g r @ \

Robert Dentice

#8 Post by Robert Dentice » October 11th, 2019, 7:51 am

Winebid is great for this type of sale. They will pick up at your storage or home.

Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#9 Post by Jay Miller » October 11th, 2019, 7:56 am

Thank you all! Especially Andy who was concerned that Nathan would not be present given my request.

AndyK

#10 Post by AndyK » October 11th, 2019, 8:03 am

You're very welcome!
k0berl

Craig G
GCC Member
GCC Member

#11 Post by Craig G » October 11th, 2019, 8:11 am

AndyK wrote:
October 11th, 2019, 7:27 am
It may be a felony to ship wine as an individual without proper license and you’ll never be able to work again blahblah
Never work again? Sounds perfect!
“You need to look down to the bottom shelf where they keep the Fighting Cock” — Corey N.

C. Gle@son

Tom Reddick
GCC Member
GCC Member

#12 Post by Tom Reddick » October 11th, 2019, 8:32 am

Winebid has a 2,500 minimum and are great to work with. Acker just started doing weekly online auctions and are much more able to handle smaller consignments. Worth giving them a try.

It varies, but many brokers now want parcels of at least 10-15k value unless you have a few A list bottles for sale.
ITB - Cellar appraisals

Nathan V.

#13 Post by Nathan V. » October 11th, 2019, 8:42 am

Jay Miller wrote:
October 11th, 2019, 7:56 am
Thank you all! Especially Andy who was concerned that Nathan would not be present given my request.
I don't know, I thought I was pretty helpful.
ITB-ish.
V = V a n der g r i f t

John Morris
GCC Member
GCC Member

#14 Post by John Morris » October 11th, 2019, 8:58 am

AndyK wrote:
October 11th, 2019, 7:27 am
Congrats! You both channeled Nathan and preempted him! champagne.gif
"I pencilled in half an hour to suffer fools tomorrow, but now I’m thinking I might bump it out until Monday." -- @duchessgoldblat

“Only he who has walked through the deepest valley knows how other valleys of lesser depth are relatively more walk-throughable, valley-wise.” – @TheTweetOfGod

Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15 Post by Howard Cooper » October 11th, 2019, 9:17 am

Pat Martin wrote:
October 11th, 2019, 7:48 am
Most auction houses I have dealt with have a minimum value for consignments. If the total value is >$5k, I believe K&L will accept it at a 15% commission (10% if >$10k). I’ve sold through K&L and Winebid, and both worked fine. I’d opt for K&L going forward.
My recollection is that K&L does not take any commission if you are willing to take a store credit rather than cash.
Howard

"That's what I do. I drink and I know things." Tyrion Lannister

Sh@n A
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16 Post by Sh@n A » October 11th, 2019, 9:19 am

Howard Cooper wrote:
October 11th, 2019, 9:17 am
Pat Martin wrote:
My recollection is that K&L does not take any commission if you are willing to take a store credit rather than cash.
Don't think they ship to Jay
https://www.klwines.com/Shipping/StateLegality
/ @ g r @ \

David K o l i n
GCC Member
GCC Member

#17 Post by David K o l i n » October 11th, 2019, 10:30 am

Howard Cooper wrote:
Pat Martin wrote:
Much better deal for K&L

Bdklein
GCC Member
GCC Member

#18 Post by Bdklein » October 11th, 2019, 10:39 am

Jay Miller wrote:

Can you explain why you won’t drink the wine? The fact that it is worth more than you paid makes you not want to drink it? Sounds like a good therapy topic !!
Bruce Klein

Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#19 Post by Jay Miller » October 11th, 2019, 11:04 am

Bdklein wrote:
October 11th, 2019, 10:39 am

Can you explain why you won’t drink the wine? The fact that it is worth more than you paid makes you not want to drink it? Sounds like a good therapy topic !!
Lots of reasons.

I remember when I opened a perfectly lovely 2000 Rousseau Chambertin Clos de Beze a few years ago. When I later checked pricing on it I thought - I'd really rather have had $2,000.

I'm drinking a lot less as I get older and I still enjoy buying wine.

I'd like to redo my bathroom and every time I put money away for it an unexpected expense comes up.

I just went through every bottle I own with the criteria of whether "I really don't care if I never drink this wine". There was more than I thought. Of course there were also bottles both inexpensive and expensive which fell into the category of "they'll have to pry this from my cold dead fingers".

I was prompted to think about it last week when due to business reasons it became likely (though not certain) that the company I work for will be giving out much smaller bonuses for the foreseeable future. That's where the bathroom remodel money was supposed to come from.

Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#20 Post by Jay Miller » October 11th, 2019, 11:06 am

Sh@n A wrote:
October 11th, 2019, 9:19 am
Howard Cooper wrote:
Pat Martin wrote:
Don't think they ship to Jay
https://www.klwines.com/Shipping/StateLegality
Correct, not that I'm interested in a store credit anyway. I used to order from them semi-regularly so I was sorry when they stopped.

J a y H a c k
GCC Member
GCC Member

#21 Post by J a y H a c k » October 11th, 2019, 11:11 am

This thread is complete BS. Just ask at the next Offline and you can probably unload it to the rest of the AFWEs.
Yes, that's a DM of 1978 Mouton!

You can read my Financial Institutions Law Blog at https://www.gdblaw.com/blog?practiceID=4985.

GregT

#22 Post by GregT » October 11th, 2019, 12:03 pm

I bought all these wines to drink but my wine consumption keeps going down and I really want to redo the bathroom...
Well, they're pretty much equivalent . . .

Anyway, you end up giving away something no matter what your approach. If you sell on CC and offer the friends and family discount, you leave money on the table. If you sell through Acker or one of the auction houses, they take their piece off the top and some of them also want a minimum dollar value. Not sure what it is now but I think Acker used to require that the value of your collection be at least $10K. And if you sell through a retailer, you'll have to discount for them.

All in all, I'd either do CC, or if you don't want to hassle with shipping, etc., go talk to Jamie at Chambers. He'll be fair with you and take care of everything.

Or, only sell half of it and just get the bathroom painted and re-grouted. It will look like new!

Hope you're well these days!

[cheers.gif]
G . T a t a r

[i]"the incorrect overuse of apostrophes is staggering these days. I wonder if half the adults these days have any idea what they are for." Chris Seiber, 5/14/19[/i]

Craig G
GCC Member
GCC Member

#23 Post by Craig G » October 11th, 2019, 12:17 pm

Jay Miller wrote:
October 11th, 2019, 11:04 am
I was prompted to think about it last week when due to business reasons it became likely (though not certain) that the company I work for will be giving out much smaller bonuses for the foreseeable future.
I didn’t realize you had taken a job with Rudy Giuliani.
“You need to look down to the bottom shelf where they keep the Fighting Cock” — Corey N.

C. Gle@son

R@y.Tupp@+sch

#24 Post by R@y.Tupp@+sch » October 11th, 2019, 12:22 pm

GregT wrote:
October 11th, 2019, 12:03 pm

If you sell through Acker or one of the auction houses, they take their piece off the top and some of them also want a minimum dollar value. Not sure what it is now but I think Acker used to require that the value of your collection be at least $10K.
Their "piece off the top" is a 3% handling fee.

I've never come across a minimum, no less a $10k minimum. If the consignment is a very small dollar amount (not sure what that number is but a consignment that includes 48 bottles of wines like '96 Gouges will be well over the min), they will charge you a fee to pickup the wines and bring them to their warehouse.
Last edited by R@y.Tupp@+sch on October 11th, 2019, 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Killer, Staggering, Excellent, Very Good, Good, Fair, Poor ®

Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#25 Post by Jay Miller » October 11th, 2019, 12:34 pm

GregT wrote:
October 11th, 2019, 12:03 pm

Or, only sell half of it and just get the bathroom painted and re-grouted. It will look like new!

Hope you're well these days!

[cheers.gif]
Sorry, I'm coveting a walk in shower with a rainforest showerhead.

Considering the events of the last few months I'm doing remarkably well!

Bdklein
GCC Member
GCC Member

#26 Post by Bdklein » October 11th, 2019, 2:17 pm

Jay Miller wrote:
October 11th, 2019, 11:04 am
Bdklein wrote:
October 11th, 2019, 10:39 am

Lots of reasons.

I remember when I opened a perfectly lovely 2000 Rousseau Chambertin Clos de Beze a few years ago. When I later checked pricing on it I thought - I'd really rather have had $2,000.

I'm drinking a lot less as I get older and I still enjoy buying wine.

I'd like to redo my bathroom and every time I put money away for it an unexpected expense comes up.

I just went through every bottle I own with the criteria of whether "I really don't care if I never drink this wine". There was more than I thought. Of course there were also bottles both inexpensive and expensive which fell into the category of "they'll have to pry this from my cold dead fingers".

I was prompted to think about it last week when due to business reasons it became likely (though not certain) that the company I work for will be giving out much smaller bonuses for the foreseeable future. That's where the bathroom remodel money was supposed to come from.
Thanks for the explanation. Makes total sense to me (not that you need my affirmation). Hope it works out for you .
Bruce Klein

maureen nelson
GCC Member
GCC Member

#27 Post by maureen nelson » October 11th, 2019, 3:21 pm

Those 96 gouges are coming around!

A Rubin Stein

#28 Post by A Rubin Stein » October 11th, 2019, 3:40 pm

The auction market is softening. Mixed case lots, even of great wines, are not generating that much demand. See the Golodetz sale thread. Factor in the fees and I suspect your return will be low.

I think the better route would be Commerce Corner, although you'd have to deal with multiple individual transactions.

I've used Flatiron for consignments similar to yours, Jay. Their prices were fair, they picked everything up and the transactions were smooth overall.
a s h e r

Gary Ahearn
GCC Member
GCC Member

#29 Post by Gary Ahearn » October 11th, 2019, 4:01 pm

Jay, I've done this many times with K&L wines--3-6 cases at a time, bottles anywhere from $40 to $400, when I lived in Oregon. Quite pleased with the results. Moved to Florida two years go, so I had to stop. But as of August 1st, out-of-state retailers can ship to Florida . . . which means I can ship wines back to K&L. May start up again. Just a narrower shipping window. Good luck.

Pat Martin

#30 Post by Pat Martin » October 11th, 2019, 4:56 pm

In Colorado at least, I can still ship wine to a retailer even if they can no longer ship to me, ie K&L.
P@ tr!ck M 8rt!n

Pat Martin

#31 Post by Pat Martin » October 11th, 2019, 4:58 pm

A Rubin Stein wrote:
October 11th, 2019, 3:40 pm
The auction market is softening.
True that. But I’ve still found K&L’s free estimates quite good. Either they’re conservative to begin with or they’ve successfully recalibrated.
P@ tr!ck M 8rt!n

Chris Seiber
GCC Member
GCC Member

#32 Post by Chris Seiber » October 11th, 2019, 5:19 pm

Assuming they’re wines of interest to WBers, you’ll realize more moneys though CC. But it’ll take more effort selling and shipping and collecting. So it’s just a trade off for you.

Lee Short

#33 Post by Lee Short » October 13th, 2019, 3:24 pm

I've had good luck with Hart Davis Hart.

Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#34 Post by Jay Miller » October 15th, 2019, 1:51 pm

maureen nelson wrote:
October 11th, 2019, 3:21 pm
Softening from diamond to corundum?

John Morris
GCC Member
GCC Member

#35 Post by John Morris » October 15th, 2019, 3:57 pm

maureen nelson wrote:
October 11th, 2019, 3:21 pm
I await corroboration before I open one of mine.
"I pencilled in half an hour to suffer fools tomorrow, but now I’m thinking I might bump it out until Monday." -- @duchessgoldblat

“Only he who has walked through the deepest valley knows how other valleys of lesser depth are relatively more walk-throughable, valley-wise.” – @TheTweetOfGod

Mike Maguire
GCC Member
GCC Member

#36 Post by Mike Maguire » October 15th, 2019, 4:38 pm

Pat Martin wrote:
October 11th, 2019, 4:58 pm
A Rubin Stein wrote:
October 11th, 2019, 3:40 pm
The auction market is softening.
True that. But I’ve still found K&L’s free estimates quite good. Either they’re conservative to begin with or they’ve successfully recalibrated.
Had good luck with K&L a few years back.

Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#37 Post by Jay Miller » November 4th, 2019, 6:30 am

If I post some wine on Commerce Corner I was thinking 20% off the average auction price shown in Cellartracker might be fair/appropriate? What do people think?

It would be only for Jersey City/NYC pickup. Or I suppose Wilmington, DE as I'll be down there in December visiting friends.

Also - Yaacov I remember you emailing me regarding this but for some reason I can't find the email. If I remember correctly please resend.

Return to “Wine Talk”