TN: 2008 Shafer Cabernet Sauvignon Hillside Select

• 2008 Shafer Cabernet Sauvignon Hillside Select - USA, California, Napa Valley, Stags Leap District (10/10/2019)
    This is drinking really well right now. Pop and pour. Cassis, mild oak, spice, blueberries and black licorice. Balanced wine. Long finish. This wine is in an excellent place right now. 95 points (95 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Thanks for the note, we have two bottles of this in the cellar and was thinking it’s time to open one for my wife’s birthday coming up soon. Have no experience with the wines but know the Shafer HSS pedigree is pretty solid.

I find Shafer Hillside drink better on the younger side (give take 10 years) then most age worthy wines. This is in its sweet spot.

We had 11 vintages back to 1991 a couple of days ago. The 2008 was really nice, although it was paired against the 2002 and 2007, which are blockbusters (02 was my WOTN).

Was the 1994 one of them and if so thoughts? For reasons that make no sense, I still have some that I just never open. I guess I am looking for that push.

No, we didn’t have the '94. 1991, '92, '96, 98, '99, '02, '07, '08, '09, '10, '12. '96 was corked and '92 was a bit odd. All the rest were great. 2010 was another fav.

That sounds like fun. I was involved in a similar tasting back many years ago. Probably need to get another one set up.

Thanks for the note. I’ve got a 6-pack on the way that I got a great deal on at auction, and it’s good to get a reference point.

[quoteThanks for the note. I’ve got a 6-pack on the way that I got a great deal on at auction, and it’s good to get a reference point.][/quote] Under $200 bottle???