Has anyone ever come across this bottle before

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Jay long

Has anyone ever come across this bottle before

#1 Post by Jay long » October 9th, 2019, 12:19 pm

Hope this isn't a ridiculous question but I'm sort of stuck trying to figure it out. I do appreciate wine, but I don't have any real knowledge of the wine business. Several years ago I was gifted a 3l bottle. I'm told it was from Obamas inauguration but I don't know for sure if that is the case. I've talked with a CS agent at Sterling and he had not seen one of these before (but he wasn't at Sterling 10 years ago) He did tell me that he will continue to ask around and see if he can provide anymore information. The label is engraved and painted. The inscription says, "Sterling Vineyards salutes 2009 presidential inauguration. January 20, 2009. Washing DC." It's un-opened and still wrapped in shipping plastic. It was given to me by someone in Va who did work with the inaugural committee for organizing things. I realize it's a long shot but just wondered if anyone has come across something like this before. I have lost contact with the person who gifted it to me and have no way to ask him directly. Thanks in advance for any thoughts anyone might have about this.

Here is a picture of the bottle:

AndyK

Re: Has anyone ever come across this bottle before

#2 Post by AndyK » October 9th, 2019, 6:38 pm

Unfortunately, cracking the bottle won't bring him back, but it may dull the pain for a while... newhere
k0berl

Doug Schulman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3 Post by Doug Schulman » October 10th, 2019, 6:55 am

I know nothing about it, but that's quite a collector's item.
ITB - retail sales and education

Markus S

#4 Post by Markus S » October 10th, 2019, 7:19 am

Cool-looking bottle!
$ _ € ® e . k @

Henry Kiichli
GCC Member
GCC Member

#5 Post by Henry Kiichli » October 10th, 2019, 7:24 am

Part of this group?

"Police say Henry smelled of alcohol and acknowledged drinking a six-pack of Hamm’s beer with the hogs"

Richard Albert

#6 Post by Richard Albert » October 10th, 2019, 3:52 pm

Nah, much cooler because it is probably real. Were those bottles etched in Germany along with the 1787 Lafitte which sold with a laurel and Hardy handshake ultimately to an insurance company after a waiter at a cocktail party smashed into it and broke the unauthenticated bottle. Oh, My!

Since storage conditions are unknown and since VA can have some pretty warm summers...it is a commemorative bottle which would benefit from a creative sales strategy.
ITB

John Morris
GCC Member
GCC Member

#7 Post by John Morris » October 10th, 2019, 4:00 pm

Richard Albert wrote:
October 10th, 2019, 3:52 pm
Nah, much cooler because it is probably real. Were those bottles etched in Germany along with the 1787 Lafitte which sold with a laurel and Hardy handshake ultimately to an insurance company after a waiter at a cocktail party smashed into it and broke the unauthenticated bottle. Oh, My!
I don't know if the broken bottle ended up with an insurance company, but it was Bill Sokolin who ran home during a dinner at the Four Seasons to get his Thomas Jefferson bottle to show off. (He had been unable to sell it at a six-figure price.) He brought it in a plastic grocery bag and knocked it against a waiter's cart. I don't think anyone has ever blamed the waiter.
"I pencilled in half an hour to suffer fools tomorrow, but now I’m thinking I might bump it out until Monday." -- @duchessgoldblat

“Only he who has walked through the deepest valley knows how other valleys of lesser depth are relatively more walk-throughable, valley-wise.” – @TheTweetOfGod

Anton D
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8 Post by Anton D » October 10th, 2019, 4:22 pm

I am slightly familiar with this wine. It has a very precise best day to drink: January 20, 2021.

Looking forward to your joyous tasting note!

[cheers.gif]
Anton Dotson

What is man, when you come to think upon him, but a minutely set, ingenious machine for turning, with infinite artfulness, the fine red wine of Shiraz into urine?

Mark C Johnson

#9 Post by Mark C Johnson » October 11th, 2019, 12:14 am

Cool bottle. Lucky you! flirtysmile
Memes & Tropes

Return to “Wine Talk”