Danica Patrick's Somnium Wines

I ran across an interview with her where she talks about how she got into wines and now her Napa Valley winery.
Anybody been there or tasted the cab or rose’?

https://www.somniumwine.com/

90 Points James Suckling for a $185 Cabernet…I’d recommend running far far away.

1 Like

The 2016 got a 94. The 2014 has three notes on CT with a 94.7 rating.
I was just curious.

Do you otherwise follow/respect Suckling’s ratings?

He’s usually a few points high for my palate, I usually subtract 3-4 points.

… and $38 for rose. Not for me.

Nose of asphalt and burnt rubber…

Made by the excellent Aaron Pott.
But, I’m like nah on this one.

Overhyped and under delivers

Much like her racing career.

She must adhere to the PT Barnum quote…there’s a sucker born every minute.

That’s cruel and fair. LOL

She didn’t quite make it as a model, didn’t quite make it as a race car driver either, so what should be different when it comes to wine?

I am not going to defend her, but I bet there is a long line of folks behind her wishing they had “failed” the way she did. [snort.gif]

Well, it’s not like she’s the first celebrity to “make” wine, right?

I generally avoid celebrity wines, which isn’t to say there aren’t probably some that are good. I hear Seaver (i.e. the pitcher Tom) in particular is very good.

It’s always possible the price will come down. Some celebrity wines start out expecting to be in the high price points, but the market then sets its own valuation. Yao Ming Napa Cab started out around $280, but a few vintages later, you could find it at retail for $50 or so.

One interesting thing I’ve read about auto racing is that fans really view buying the products sponsored by their favorite racers as a form of supporting the team and being part of its success. More so than fans in other sports. So fans of Danica might be willing to (over)pay for her brand, who knows. Though you don’t think of NASCAR fans drinking $185 bottles of wine, for the most part, and I’m not sure if Danica had a devoted fanbase as much as she might have just had general media celebrity.

Somnium. Sounds like a sleeper.

My cost to point ratio is off on this one. $185 CA Cab needs to be at least 92.5963 points by someone somewhere before I buy.

She’s doing a wine dinner here in Vegas this week. $185 without tax/tip. No word on whether Aaron will also be in attendance.

While i hate nascar in general I think it sucks to see people taking pot shots at her record, knowing how hard it must have been to be the first woman to break that glass ceiling

She actually was an Indy driver well before NASCAR and was named rookie of the year in 2005. I agree, if you know her story, she is a success only few can imagine.