Danica Patrick's Somnium Wines

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Michael Martin
GCC Member
GCC Member

Danica Patrick's Somnium Wines

#1 Post by Michael Martin » October 8th, 2019, 11:21 am

I ran across an interview with her where she talks about how she got into wines and now her Napa Valley winery.
Anybody been there or tasted the cab or rose'?

https://www.somniumwine.com/

R. Smith

Re: Danica Patrick's Somnium Wines

#2 Post by R. Smith » October 8th, 2019, 11:30 am

90 Points James Suckling for a $185 Cabernet...I'd recommend running far far away.
R y @ n

Michael Martin
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3 Post by Michael Martin » October 8th, 2019, 11:38 am

The 2016 got a 94. The 2014 has three notes on CT with a 94.7 rating.
I was just curious.

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#4 Post by Todd F r e n c h » October 8th, 2019, 11:41 am

R. Smith wrote:
October 8th, 2019, 11:30 am
90 Points James Suckling for a $185 Cabernet...I'd recommend running far far away.
Do you otherwise follow/respect Suckling's ratings?
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)

R. Smith

#5 Post by R. Smith » October 8th, 2019, 11:49 am

Todd F r e n c h wrote:
October 8th, 2019, 11:41 am
R. Smith wrote:
He's usually a few points high for my palate, I usually subtract 3-4 points.
R y @ n

Bud Carey
GCC Member
GCC Member

#6 Post by Bud Carey » October 8th, 2019, 12:01 pm

... and $38 for rose. Not for me.
Budman

Dave McIsaac
BerserkerDay Champion
BerserkerDay Champion

#7 Post by Dave McIsaac » October 8th, 2019, 12:07 pm

Nose of asphalt and burnt rubber....

Nate Simon
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8 Post by Nate Simon » October 8th, 2019, 12:43 pm

Made by the excellent Aaron Pott.
But, I’m like nah on this one.

Will Clements

#9 Post by Will Clements » October 8th, 2019, 1:22 pm

Overhyped and under delivers

Much like her racing career.

Tim Fleming

#10 Post by Tim Fleming » October 8th, 2019, 1:33 pm

She must adhere to the PT Barnum quote....there's a sucker born every minute.

brigcampbell
GCC Member
GCC Member

#11 Post by brigcampbell » October 8th, 2019, 1:43 pm

Will Clements wrote:
October 8th, 2019, 1:22 pm
Overhyped and under delivers

Much like her racing career.
That's cruel and fair. LOL

Ian S

#12 Post by Ian S » October 8th, 2019, 1:55 pm

She didn't quite make it as a model, didn't quite make it as a race car driver either, so what should be different when it comes to wine?
S t 1 g 0 m a n

Alan Eden - Berserker [berserker.gif] and Master Pot Stirrer [stirthepothal.gif] forever!

Michael Martin
GCC Member
GCC Member

#13 Post by Michael Martin » October 8th, 2019, 2:19 pm

Ian S wrote:
October 8th, 2019, 1:55 pm
She didn't quite make it as a model, didn't quite make it as a race car driver either, so what should be different when it comes to wine?
I am not going to defend her, but I bet there is a long line of folks behind her wishing they had "failed" the way she did. [snort.gif]

Nate Simon
GCC Member
GCC Member

#14 Post by Nate Simon » October 8th, 2019, 3:39 pm

Well, it’s not like she’s the first celebrity to “make” wine, right?

Chris Seiber
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15 Post by Chris Seiber » October 8th, 2019, 3:49 pm

I generally avoid celebrity wines, which isn't to say there aren't probably some that are good. I hear Seaver (i.e. the pitcher Tom) in particular is very good.

It's always possible the price will come down. Some celebrity wines start out expecting to be in the high price points, but the market then sets its own valuation. Yao Ming Napa Cab started out around $280, but a few vintages later, you could find it at retail for $50 or so.

One interesting thing I've read about auto racing is that fans really view buying the products sponsored by their favorite racers as a form of supporting the team and being part of its success. More so than fans in other sports. So fans of Danica might be willing to (over)pay for her brand, who knows. Though you don't think of NASCAR fans drinking $185 bottles of wine, for the most part, and I'm not sure if Danica had a devoted fanbase as much as she might have just had general media celebrity.

David Glasser
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16 Post by David Glasser » October 9th, 2019, 6:19 am

Somnium. Sounds like a sleeper.

Dennis Atick

#17 Post by Dennis Atick » October 9th, 2019, 6:29 am

My cost to point ratio is off on this one. $185 CA Cab needs to be at least 92.5963 points by someone somewhere before I buy.
@decaturwinedude

James Cross

#18 Post by James Cross » October 9th, 2019, 7:59 am

She's doing a wine dinner here in Vegas this week. $185 without tax/tip. No word on whether Aaron will also be in attendance.

Scott G r u n e r

#19 Post by Scott G r u n e r » October 9th, 2019, 11:27 am

While i hate nascar in general I think it sucks to see people taking pot shots at her record, knowing how hard it must have been to be the first woman to break that glass ceiling
//Cynic

Michael Martin
GCC Member
GCC Member

#20 Post by Michael Martin » October 9th, 2019, 1:05 pm

Scott G r u n e r wrote:
October 9th, 2019, 11:27 am
While i hate nascar in general I think it sucks to see people taking pot shots at her record, knowing how hard it must have been to be the first woman to break that glass ceiling
She actually was an Indy driver well before NASCAR and was named rookie of the year in 2005. I agree, if you know her story, she is a success only few can imagine.

blarmston

#21 Post by blarmston » October 9th, 2019, 1:49 pm

To make it to the highest level of her profession, become a global celebrity, earn millions of dollars, start her own winery...

Some people on here were probably still living with their Mom until age 45, and their only redeeming quality is that they can spot the difference between pinot grigio and chenin blanc in a blind taste test. Lots of haters out there...
-Brian Armston

Wes Barton
GCC Member
GCC Member

#22 Post by Wes Barton » October 9th, 2019, 1:50 pm

Ian S wrote:
October 8th, 2019, 1:55 pm
She had real potential as a racer. Bobby Rahal recognized it. He brought her back to the U.S. and got her a good seat in Atlantics. Unfortunately, despite the call for American talent in Indy Cars, Jon Fogarty (son of Thomas Fogarty of Thomas Fogarty Winery) had just spent a whole year trying to land a ride after winning the Atlantics championship dominantly. So, he came back to Atlantics and dominated. The typical results that year were Fogarty, Ryan Dalziel (running what turned out to be an illegal car all year!) then rookie Patrick. Without those two, she'd surely be champion.

(Fogarty went to sports cars and won many series championships in ALMS and Daytona Prototypes. Definitely could have been a multi-time Indy Car champ.)

Rahal-Letterman is a second-tier team that has good and bad years. The year before she joined was a good one, then Penske and Ganassi were dominant again with fellow second-tier Andretti Racing doing well. Her veteran first rate teammate also suffered. She got frustrated and moved to 4 driver team Andretti just in time for a slump there. Bad coaching at a critical time didn't help. She had the same problems and level of results there as Marco Andretti, who is the level of driver she is. Second-tier, capable of wins now and then. Very long shot at ever getting a championship, but some at that level get one. That's the middle tier. She was better than many in the field, and better than a couple in better seats than she had. (I pointed that out in an online debate on the sort-of industry forum, and the guy I cited got fired a few days later.)

The crazy hype was from the Indy Racing League. They were the underdog series during the Indy Car split. They drew attention to themselves spewing all sorts of BS that she was the best driver in the series and would clearly be winning lots of championships. Not exactly something the other drivers appreciated. (I thought a more accurate portrayal of how good the competition was and how she could roll with them would've been better.) Unseemly.

She got lured into doing a couple photospreads. They were awful. Hack photographers who would've failed my local community college photo classes. Many were offended she showed some skin. I was offended the talentless hacks had jobs. She was clearly uncomfortable. Bad wardrobe, awkward posing, poorly shot. Compare that FHM and Sports Illustrated garbage to shoots she did for commercial spreads, like with Argent. Polar opposite.

NASCAR. More competition, much more money, much lower chance at winning.

There are so many celebrity wineries. Like most, I doubt she has the sort of experience where she's really guiding anything. I'd guess it's just another vanity project for a celebrity with money, where the ego is massaged and they get to play "The Decider" in some token ways. I wouldn't go betting it's a sustainable business model, but who knows...
ITB - Useless lackey

"I've acquired enough wine to seduce an elephant." - Jennifer Robin

D. Mowe
GCC Member
GCC Member

#23 Post by D. Mowe » October 9th, 2019, 6:08 pm

Aaron Pott is a badass and makes great wines for a number of people including somnium and his own pott wines. He has been mentored by some of the best and has mentored himself some very talented winemakers. Cost aside, I Would never shy from anything he touches.
Dustin
ITB

Randy Bowman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#24 Post by Randy Bowman » October 9th, 2019, 8:20 pm

Haven't had the opportunity to try the wines but as far as "celebrity" wines, I have been very pleased with the wines from Red Stitch, (Richie Aurelia/Dave Roberts), Jack, (Chris Iannetta/Vernon Wells) and Double Back by Drew Bledsoe. All have winemakers and vineyards with pedigree. I'd like to try the wine.
IN THE BUSINESS SHILL: An associate of a person selling goods, who pretends no association to the seller and assumes the air of an enthusiastic customer.

Randy Bowman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#25 Post by Randy Bowman » October 9th, 2019, 8:20 pm

Haven't had the opportunity to try the wines but as far as "celebrity" wines, I have been very pleased with the wines from Red Stitch, (Richie Aurelia/Dave Roberts), Jack, (Chris Iannetta/Vernon Wells) and Double Back by Drew Bledsoe. All have winemakers and vineyards with pedigree. I'd like to try the wine.
IN THE BUSINESS SHILL: An associate of a person selling goods, who pretends no association to the seller and assumes the air of an enthusiastic customer.

aaronfullen

#26 Post by aaronfullen » October 10th, 2019, 8:33 am

blarmston wrote:
October 9th, 2019, 1:49 pm
To make it to the highest level of her profession, become a global celebrity, earn millions of dollars, start her own winery...

Some people on here were probably still living with their Mom until age 45, and their only redeeming quality is that they can spot the difference between pinot grigio and chenin blanc in a blind taste test. Lots of haters out there...
I laughed. Well done.

-af

Chris Seiber
GCC Member
GCC Member

#27 Post by Chris Seiber » October 10th, 2019, 11:00 am

Scott G r u n e r wrote:
I have nothing against Danica Patrick, or the idea of women competing in car racing (I have no idea why more of them don't, really). From what little I've observed, I like her.

But it does seem as though she got money and attention very far in excess of her performance on the track, and while I don't begrudge her that, it doesn't make her much of a victim either.

And yes, I'm money when it comes to picking pinot grigio and chenin blanc in blind tasting. Bring it on.

p. raghib

#28 Post by p. raghib » October 11th, 2019, 9:42 am

Todd F r e n c h wrote:
October 8th, 2019, 11:41 am
R. Smith wrote:
I am generally about "Suckling -8" so yes, if the only review I saw was Suckling's and it was 90 there is 0% chance I would buy it. I am no Suckling fan, but his ratings are always way over the top, so in the absence of another review or reccomendation I wouldn't buy at $25 let alone $185. This does not take anything away from the extraordinary accomplishments she has achieved in her professional career.
cheers'

-paul r.

blarmston

#29 Post by blarmston » October 11th, 2019, 10:40 am

Saw in recent Napa report from WS that Laube gave the 2016 a 92. Not too shabby.
-Brian Armston

David_K

#30 Post by David_K » October 11th, 2019, 10:46 am

Wines like this are why people hate Napa. Just saying.
K@ntrОwi╦z

Michael Martin
GCC Member
GCC Member

#31 Post by Michael Martin » October 11th, 2019, 11:30 am

David_K wrote:
October 11th, 2019, 10:46 am
Sorta true, isn’t it.

jeffruggels
GCC Member
GCC Member

#32 Post by jeffruggels » October 11th, 2019, 11:36 am

Am sure true for many. if i was asked "what i wish was different" in napa, i doubt "wines like these" would make my list

Wes Barton
GCC Member
GCC Member

#33 Post by Wes Barton » October 11th, 2019, 2:58 pm

Chris Seiber wrote:
October 10th, 2019, 11:00 am
Scott G r u n e r wrote:
I have nothing against Danica Patrick, or the idea of women competing in car racing (I have no idea why more of them don't, really). From what little I've observed, I like her.

But it does seem as though she got money and attention very far in excess of her performance on the track, and while I don't begrudge her that, it doesn't make her much of a victim either.

And yes, I'm money when it comes to picking pinot grigio and chenin blanc in blind tasting. Bring it on.
Answer: sponsors. Corporate execs in charge of these decisions are chickenshit sexist twits.

There is one segment of racing when the chickenshit barrier was broken: drag racing. Shirley Muldowney persevered loads of sexist crap in the '70s, winning her first championship in '77. In the decades since, many women have won many national championships in the various top classes.

The more normal story is Desire Wilson won a non-points Formula One race in 1980 (Brands Hatch), then still couldn't get sponsorship.

Lyn St. James was racing at the start of my involvement. The only sponsors she could get were for products marketed for women, despite women making the majority of purchase decisions for so many non-tampon products.

Bobby Rahal sort of broke that dim-witted barrier, by convincing his existing primary sponsor Argent to back Patrick. Worked great for them.

A little more context for her Indy Car talent and that of women, there were a couple years we had 4 women drivers in the Indy 500. Of them, I put her as number four. (As an aside, probably number three as a road racer.) Can you name the others? Imo, one was capable of winning a championship in the right seat in the right year, the way Rahal did twice. I'd put her on par with Graham Rahal. The other was a probably multi-time champion I put on par with Simon Pagenaud.
ITB - Useless lackey

"I've acquired enough wine to seduce an elephant." - Jennifer Robin

Michael Martin
GCC Member
GCC Member

#34 Post by Michael Martin » October 11th, 2019, 5:34 pm

jeffruggels wrote:
October 11th, 2019, 11:36 am
Am sure true for many. if i was asked "what i wish was different" in napa, i doubt "wines like these" would make my list
How many new producer, $185 wines do you buy?

M. Taylor

#35 Post by M. Taylor » October 11th, 2019, 5:42 pm

We did a tasting at the vineyard this summer (Howell Mountain). We thought the cab was OK, not great, but bought some. I’m guessing Aaron will make it better over time.
M a r k

Paul McCourt
GCC Member
GCC Member

#36 Post by Paul McCourt » October 11th, 2019, 5:52 pm

I've had it.

Beautiful color, lovely long legs, beautiful nose, great mouthfeel, full bodied...wait for it...disappointing finish.
PauLeeeenda 2020: Tasty Waves and a Cool Buzz for America

T Welch

#37 Post by T Welch » October 11th, 2019, 6:20 pm

M. Taylor wrote:
October 11th, 2019, 5:42 pm
We did a tasting at the vineyard this summer (Howell Mountain). We thought the cab was OK, not great, but bought some. I’m guessing Aaron will make it better over time.
While her vineyard is on Howell Mountain, it's not quite high enough to use the Howell Mountain appellation. According to the Somnium website the vineyard tops out at 1375 feet and the AVA's minimum elevation is 1400 feet.
T*R*U*E*T*T

jeffruggels
GCC Member
GCC Member

#38 Post by jeffruggels » October 12th, 2019, 9:49 am

Michael -

I dont buy any, which is why it wouldn't make my list

Anton D
GCC Member
GCC Member

#39 Post by Anton D » October 12th, 2019, 12:20 pm

Michael Martin wrote:
October 11th, 2019, 11:30 am
David_K wrote:
Sorta true, isn’t it.
Yup, that’s why I like to focus my wine buying on wines produced by those with multi-generational wealth. And, of course, wines produced by corporate conglomerates, as well!
Anton Dotson

What is man, when you come to think upon him, but a minutely set, ingenious machine for turning, with infinite artfulness, the fine red wine of Shiraz into urine?

Anton D
GCC Member
GCC Member

#40 Post by Anton D » October 12th, 2019, 12:21 pm

Paul McCourt wrote:
October 11th, 2019, 5:52 pm
I've had it.

Beautiful color, lovely long legs, beautiful nose, great mouthfeel, full bodied...wait for it...disappointing finish.
[rofl.gif]
Anton Dotson

What is man, when you come to think upon him, but a minutely set, ingenious machine for turning, with infinite artfulness, the fine red wine of Shiraz into urine?

Albert R

#41 Post by Albert R » October 12th, 2019, 1:12 pm

[rofl.gif] [rofl.gif] [rofl.gif]
Anton D wrote:
October 12th, 2019, 12:21 pm
Paul McCourt wrote:
October 11th, 2019, 5:52 pm
I've had it.

[rofl.gif]
Cheers,

@. Re-go

Michael Martin
GCC Member
GCC Member

#42 Post by Michael Martin » October 12th, 2019, 4:21 pm

Anton D wrote:
October 12th, 2019, 12:20 pm
Michael Martin wrote:
David_K wrote:
Sorta true, isn’t it.
Yup, that’s why I like to focus my wine buying on wines produced by those with multi-generational wealth. And, of course, wines produced by corporate conglomerates, as well!
You missed my point, but that’s OK.

Ian S

#43 Post by Ian S » October 12th, 2019, 6:30 pm

blarmston wrote:
October 11th, 2019, 10:40 am
Saw in recent Napa report from WS that Laube gave the 2016 a 92. Not too shabby.
A 92 in a vintage replete with 98's, 99's, and 100's for many wines in the same price range is actually sort of shabby. [snort.gif]
S t 1 g 0 m a n

Alan Eden - Berserker [berserker.gif] and Master Pot Stirrer [stirthepothal.gif] forever!

jeffruggels
GCC Member
GCC Member

#44 Post by jeffruggels » October 12th, 2019, 7:30 pm

i dont have a dog in this hunt (have never had the wine and almost certainly never will), but having just flipped through the most recent wine spectator (with all 2016 bottle scores to date).

Number of wines rated by WS for this vintage

100 - Zero
99 - Zero
98 - Zero
97 . - One (Colgin IX)

So from this publication the scores to date are not top heavy

Some wineries 16's starting with the letter S as a comparison

Scarecrow - 94
Scarecrow MEtain - 92
Schrader - all 94-96
Eagle - 94
Seven Stones - 92
Shafer one Point Five - 90
Signorelo - 91
Spoto - 89
Sojourn G III - 92
Spottswood - 96
Staglin - 93

Anton D
GCC Member
GCC Member

#45 Post by Anton D » October 12th, 2019, 9:59 pm

Michael Martin wrote:
October 12th, 2019, 4:21 pm
Anton D wrote:
October 12th, 2019, 12:20 pm
Michael Martin wrote:

Sorta true, isn’t it.
You missed my point, but that’s OK.
Please activate your sarcasm circuit and try again.
Anton Dotson

Karl K

#46 Post by Karl K » October 12th, 2019, 10:55 pm

FWIW I have met her before and she is very nice.
K a z a k s

Ian S

#47 Post by Ian S » October 13th, 2019, 6:07 am

jeffruggels wrote:
October 12th, 2019, 7:30 pm
i dont have a dog in this hunt (have never had the wine and almost certainly never will), but having just flipped through the most recent wine spectator (with all 2016 bottle scores to date).

Number of wines rated by WS for this vintage

100 - Zero
99 - Zero
98 - Zero
97 . - One (Colgin IX)

So from this publication the scores to date are not top heavy

Some wineries 16's starting with the letter S as a comparison

Scarecrow - 94
Scarecrow MEtain - 92
Schrader - all 94-96
Eagle - 94
Seven Stones - 92
Shafer one Point Five - 90
Signorelo - 91
Spoto - 89
Sojourn G III - 92
Spottswood - 96
Staglin - 93
Both 2016 Spottswood and Scarecrow got a 100 from 2 reviewers: Wine Advocate and Jeb Dunnuck.

Jeb Dunnuck gave a 100 to 2016 MacDonald To Kalon.

Wine Advocate gave a perfect 100 to Myriad's 2016 Dr. Crane Elyssian.

2016 Vine Hill Ranch received a 100 from Antonio Galloni.

2016 Maybach Materium scored a 99 from Wine Advocate and Jeb Dunnuck.

Other than the Scarecrow, these are Cabs in a similar price point.
S t 1 g 0 m a n

jeffruggels
GCC Member
GCC Member

#48 Post by jeffruggels » October 13th, 2019, 12:29 pm

My point was this publication, which is the apples to apples in measuring a score from same. Again, not arguing its a great value (as many other wines are not as well)

D@vid Bu3ker
GCC Member
GCC Member

#49 Post by D@vid Bu3ker » October 13th, 2019, 12:35 pm

There are plenty of 90-94 point from whomever Napa Cabs at $180+ price points. To single hers out for scorn is unfair. As has been said, Aaron Pott is a very talented winemaker.
David Bueker - Rieslingfan

Ian S

#50 Post by Ian S » October 13th, 2019, 4:05 pm

D@vid Bu3ker wrote:
October 13th, 2019, 12:35 pm
There are plenty of 90-94 point from whomever Napa Cabs at $180+ price points. To single hers out for scorn is n̷o̷t̷ ̷f̷a̷i̷r̷ what we do all the time here on Wine Berserkers.
FIFY [stirthepothal.gif] neener
S t 1 g 0 m a n

Return to “Wine Talk”