2017 Pegau - Not a TN, a comment about pricing

I just got an emailer from b21 for $50 in 750 and $109 for mags. This is like pricing from ten or more years ago, isn’t it? And then I notice a few other retailers have it priced similarly.

I grabbed some. Amazing such a classic, well-regarded wine comes out so inexpensively. An easy buy.

Some big scores out on this wine, but I specifically recalled and placed more weight on our very own Gerhardt commenting favorably on this vintage of Pegau as one for the “purists”.

1 Like

agreed - it looked like good value here in the UK, too. I love Pegau’s standard CndP offering, esp when broached young: unlike many of its brethren it exults in early ready-to-go accessibility. the 2004 was delicious; I’d polished off my case before its fifth birthday, in contrast to the 04 Beau, VT and Clos des Papes which are still slumbering in the cellar.

Yea I didn’t mention that point but thought about it when I ordered the Mags. While I like my Pegau medium and old in age, they also shine really well when young. Heck, some vintages, I end up drinking them all up early. Wish I still had more 2001 and 2000, though.

Ok, you convinced me to order more…

1 Like

I just picked up some more 2000 last weekend.

I keep waiting for Envoyer to offer it since I already have a few cases shipping. I might have to check around though and just order a six pack from someone else.

3L for $239

Xmas party vino!

Could this be due to a greater supply being made available? Have they increased their production over the past few years? Or are third parties being more aggressive and not marking up these as much as in the past?

Cheers.

Will be interested if Dan Kravitz chimes in, he is one importer of Pegau if I recall. Is it just the slide of CdP in general? Pegau was a Parker and ebob darling, is the disappearance of those two a major factor?

I think Pegau has a high list price (similar to VT/Beaucastel) but seems to be more heavily discounted. I feel like this happens every year.

1 Like

Release pricing in Ontario is the same or lower than as far back as 2004.
Continued a slow creep up until the 2009 or '10 vintage but has really backed off since then.

Envoyer did offer it in early Sept. I picked up a couple bottles at… wait for it… $44.99 I suggest you email Greg and see if they are all spoken for

Agreed this is fantastic pricing and seems to have come down dramatically since 2010. I know of one retailer in TX that still has the 2012 on the shelf at $95…

Where I am quite certain it will continue to sit for some time.

Fully agree, but makes the point that the current vintage prices have come down significantly in the last 5+ years.

I guess I was getting too good at deleting offers and missed it. I will contact him. Thanks

My wife says I need to improve at this skill…

Check Winesearcher, You can save $0.01 at Winelibrary. This price is not all that special.

I guess you didn’t read my third sentence.

Now all that said, even if it is $50 all over the country, still seems like (1) a great price and (2) a surprisingly declining price on a stalwart in a solid vintage.

do all lawyers just skim like that … seems counter-intuitive to padding hours

2 Likes

Pegau has a history of going for full retail on the discussed vintages (you know, the ones that get the points) and gets soft on the underwhelming ones. For example, 2008, 2011 were under $40, so this is not a new trend.

True. 2011 could be had for $33 at one point in the last year.

True, but is 2017 one of “those” years?