TN: Clementine Carter

Not really a tasting note, because it happened a few weeks ago, but just a general observation. 2017 Clemetine Carter Grenache Larner. I’ve had quite a few of Sonja’s Grenache bottlings and they are always pretty damn good. She also has the Casa Dumetz brand, but I think the Clementine Carter brand are much rounder . This one was a 90-91 pt wine, in my opinion. Very nicely balanced. I’ve had her Santa Barbara Grenache as well and it’s equally good. She’s got a tasting room in Los Alamos that’s kinda cute, so if you’re ever passing by there perhaps stop by. They’re in the $40 range, but sometimes I see them for around $30.

IMG_5352.JPG

Adam,

Sonja has been crafting interesting wines for quite some time, and her recent focus on Grenache has been awesome to follow. I find her grenaches to be interesting for sure - and I believe she does 4-6 single vineyard and appellation ones each year. I dig this vineyard in particular and have been making a Larner Vineyard Grenache since 2008. One thing to note about this vineyard - they offer at least 4 different clones of Grenache, one of which being their ‘Larner’ clone, and each expresses itself rather differently. Always good to get a bit more background to truly be able to compare and contrast.

As far as her tasting room goes, it is in Los ALAMOS, not Los Olivos . . . champagne.gif

Cheers.

Thanks Larry! That’s good info. I’d love to try your Larner. You got some in stock?

And of course, it’s Los Alamos, my bad. Changed it now.

What is the RS?

Do you regularly find a lot of Grenaches that have RS in them? I personally don’t - yet they can get a ‘candied’ element and tend to be fruit forward, giving them a ‘sweet’ impression that can lead some to believe there is RS in them. Kind of like zinfandel IMHO except usually not as high in alcohol.

My guess is that Sonja’s are RS dry, as are mine . . .

Cheers

I do - let me know when you’re in the area next, my friend

Cheers

We have been fans of Sonja since she started and are on her mailing list. She is also a really cool, beautiful person. I would recommend her wines highly and her Grenaches are quite good and interesting.