TN: 2016 Bedrock Wine Co. Syrah North Coast (USA, California, North Coast)

• 2016 Bedrock Wine Co. Syrah North Coast - USA, California, North Coast (10/5/2019)
    Day 1: Ok at best. Cranberry, spice, sour cherries and dirt. Not much on the finish. This is a pop and pour so I will wait to score it and see how it opens up later but right now not good! 84-86.
    Day 2: Hoping for more and not getting it. Pepper, dirt and lots of it, celery and spice. Not typical California Syrah or Washington or Northern Rhone or Australia. It is drinkable but not pleasing to my palate. 84 points
    Day 2.5: I don’t know how anyone on a pop and pour could drink this wine. This is drink 2023 and beyond. Finally opening. Black pepper, blackberries, boysenberries, forest floor and menthol. Medium plus finish. Significantly better than earlier today. 90 points
    Day 3: Black pepper, earth, blackberries, spices, menthol and coffee grounds. Big style wine and has opened up from day 1. Would not drink these until 2023 based on this bottle. Needs some time. 90 points
    Recommendation: Reward if you can wait on these. No enjoyment on the pop and pour. (90 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

We had this last month. Gave it an hour decant and drank over 3 hours. It did keep getting better. We ended up with an 89-90 rating. Some time in the cellar will help. Nonetheless it was enjoyable but there is more in the tank.

am still drinking my 2013’s…I find this basic Syrah 101 too raw early on for my taste, needs time.

Thanks for this note. Apparently I have 4 bottles of this somewhere! Morgan’s appellation bottlings give me such cognitive dissonance. On one hand, the great pricing invites early drinking. On the other hand, at that price it’s easy to forget that they generally have excellent ingredients, and can reward aging, much like the vineyard-specified wines.

Perfectly stated. I had to check-in on one. I have 7 more in the cellar.

I always drink these too early. This is a good reminder to hold back on these deceptively inexpensive bottles.

1 Like