TNs: a couple Kabinetts; a few Verdets; old Ygay Gran Reserva; and a Jura Pinot

Catching up on old notes, as per my usual. The notes here are from a small afternoon gathering with a couple of good friends. We enjoyed a varied mix of wines, red and white, blind and not blind. The Rioja stole the show for me, but that’s pretty much exactly what I would expect considering my prior experiences with that wine. Without further ado …

2007 Joh. Jos. Prüm Wehlener Sonnenuhr Riesling Kabinett - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer (8/31/2019)
– double-decanted 3.5 hours before initial taste –
– tasted non-blind over approx. one hour –

NOSE: classic Prum Wehlener Sonnenuhr aromatics; lychee gummy candies; moderate petrol; expressive aromatics.

BODY: medium-light bodied.

TASTE: soft; mature; just a bit past peak.

2011 Dönnhoff Oberhäuser Leistenberg Riesling Kabinett - Germany, Nahe (8/31/2019)
– cork pulled approx. one hour before tasting –
– tasted blind over approx. one hour –

NOSE: lighter than the 2007 JJ Prum Wehlener Sonnenuhr Kabinett tasted alongside; pleasant, warm, woodsy tones; hint of petrol; moderately expressive.

BODY: medium bodied

TASTE: soft; a bit loose; proper Kabinett; blind guess this as a 2007 Kabinett.

1978 Marqués de Murrieta Rioja Castillo Ygay Gran Reserva Especial - Spain, La Rioja, Rioja (8/31/2019)
– cork pulled approx. 1 hour before tasting –
– tasted non-blind over approx. 1.5 hours –

NOSE: tawny aromatics initially, giving way to a pleasant cherry Twizzlers; aromatics improved significantly over the first 45 minutes, or so.

BODY: medium-light bodied; some noticeable age on the color.

TASTE: tawny; high acidity; cherry; earthy; leathery; needed about 30 to 45 minutes to come together, and then it was gangbusters. Sadly my last bottle, but glad to have opened it at this time. Drink Now. Gut impression score: mid to high 90s.

2013 Aurelien Verdet Vosne-Romanée 1er Cru Les Beaux Monts - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Vosne-Romanée 1er Cru (8/31/2019)
– popped and poured –
– tasted non-blind over approx. 45 minutes –

Carbonic, red-fruited, spice-inflected Nose. Medium-light bodied, with medium+ acidity; red-fruited presentation. Quite enjoyable right now, but no apparent rush to drink.

2017 Aurelien Verdet Chambolle-Musigny Les Condemennes - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Chambolle-Musigny (8/31/2019)
– popped and poured –
– tasted non-blind over approx. 45 minutes –

NOSE: tight; red-fruited; not oaky or funky; hints of ballpoint pen ink and musk.

BODY: light to medium-light bodied.

TASTE: red-fruited; nice freshness; not oaky; labelled at 13% abv… Seemed tight, but with solid potential to improve over the short to medium term. Best to Hold right now.

2013 Aurelien Verdet Morey St. Denis En la Rue de Vergy - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Morey St. Denis (8/31/2019)
– popped and poured –
– tasted blind over approx. 45 minutes –

NOSE: savory; dark red fruits; spicy; some age on this; high-toned.

BODY: medium-light to medium bodied.

TASTE: red-fruited; ruby red grapefruit, which I always enjoy in Pinot (will be too acidic for some). Drinking well now.

2015 Domaine Villet Arbois - France, Jura, Arbois (8/31/2019)
– bottle opened previous day –
– tasted blind over approx. 30 minutes –

Very noticeable brett on the Nose, mixed with some light acidic red fruits (strawberry stood-out). Medium-light bodied on the palate, with flavors that mirrored the aromatics (strawberry and brett). Enough brett to call it flawed, but the underlying material seemed nice. NR (flawed)

Brian, which of the Verdet did you enjoy most? I got them but in different vintages.

Thanks for the notes.

Probably the Beaux Monts. But I am curious to see how the Chambolle develops.

2007 Prüm past peak? Highly unlikely.

Yes, that would have been my reaction, too, had I seen it written by somebody else. But, I am committed to TNs that are an honest reflection of my impression of what was in the glass. I just don’t see that wine getting better, and actually believe it’s best days are already slightly behind it.

I have a few. Will have to try it. For now I am very skeptical.

I’d like to hear your thoughts when you taste. Hell, even I’m skeptical, as that was not what I was expecting. FWIW, this bottle was a recent-ish acquisition sometime in the past 2 years.

Ah. That potentially explains things. Mine were purchased on release.

nice seeing notes on A. Verdet. Don’t hear about his wines that often.

The 13 cm condemnes was grest

Agree with this.

I liked the mere Bourgogne Aurélien Verdet En Lutenière 2015 in 2017 (good wine - 15/20). I did not know this producer before.

I had the J. J. Prüm Riesling Wehlener Sonnenuhr Kabinett 2007 (AP30/08) twice at the end of 2016 : very good wine (16/20), with potential (bottles bought at the domain).

Favorite of mine was the 2014 Aurelien Verdet Gevrey-Chambertin. Got it for just $30 a year ago (K&L Wines clearance). Only see it for ~$50 these days :frowning:

This was definitely a good Verdet session, at my place. Having only had the 15’ NSG 1er Boudots, needed some more data points.

We had bad luck on the 17’ Verdet which was pretty closed, especially considering most 17’s are fun now, but the 13’s were definitely showing. The Beaux Monts threw out a classic Vosne fragrance, so much so that you wouldn’t have been surprised to hear it was a classy Malconsorts or better. The palate will need some time to develop, but shows real nice potential. Bought half a case near release and am very happy with that.

The Morey was out of a 375, so it was more open altogether, and it did have the most perceived acidity that I’ve seen from a Verdet wine (of the handful I’ve had) but it was more correct and pair-able with food than sour for me. Would like to see more Burgs like this.

The Kabs were nice and a good way to start though they probably showed a touch below expectations. I liked the 11’ Donnhoff a lot on release and I’m not sure it’s improved.

A bit of the Ygay was left at my place and didn’t die easily in the days after the tasting, might go 100 years! Thanks for bringing Brian.

Good to know, seems Verdet did well in 13’

I guess I have to revisit Verdet; the two I had last year felt very oaky to me.

Thanks, Robert, for the reminder that one of those Verdet was from 375mL. And color me amazed that Ygay stayed strong for days — now I’m tempted to source more.

Finally, and most importantly, thank you and Z for hosting us all! [cheers.gif]