Promontory

Yesterday, 2 friends and I did a tour of Promontory. I didn’t know what to expect, but for the $200 tasting fee I figured it was going to either be a huge letdown or something special. It was definitely the latter. Starting off with a glass of 2006 Dom was a great way to get going. The facility itself is unreal, so simplistic in its straight lines, yet larger than life with its seemingly 25 foot tall doors, water feature that extends out into the horizon, and unparalleled view after view. Even the barrels they use are works of art, especially the larger oblong ones that they store their wine in for up to 5 years. I honestly felt like I was either in a James Bond movie, or in a dream. We tasted the 2008, 2012, and 2013, and the 2015 (from the barrel). Although they were all phenomenal, the 2013 is special. Really special. I had no plans to spend that kind of money on a cabernet, but after that tasting, there was no way I could walk out without having at least a bottle. Turns out my friends and I split a magnum of the 2013 for us to drink in 15 years as another reunion, and I picked one up for myself and my wife.

All I can say is, if you can go take a tour, do so. Harlan does not give tours, so the mere fact you can get a tour of one of his facilities is, in and of itself, an honor. But seeing a facility like this, so grand and amazing, and having the chance to taste some of that wine, is absolutely well worth the high cost of entry. No one in their right mind would be disappointed with what I experienced (and I am no one special in the wine world, or any other world).

I suspect that once they fill up their allocation list, they may no longer need to give tours, and may dial it back for list members only, or discontinue altogether (because why would they need to?).

I am afraid now that today’s wine tastings at Opus One, Beaulieu and Del Dotto will be disappointing in comparision to what I drank yesterday!

1 Like

Sounds like you had a blast!!

“I am afraid now that today’s wine tastings at Opus One, Beaulieu and Del Dotto will be disappointing in comparision to what I drank yesterday!”

Most likely. Once you get introduced to the next level experiences and wines, everything else pales in comparison. And once you get used to dropping a G for a mag, then say goodbye to all your discretionary income! Spoken from experience :slight_smile:

Nice post, thanks for sharing. Another great tasting/tour is with Futo, which is next to Promontory. Tom and Jessica Futo are extremely nice people…

Is it $200 a head? Do they waive the fee or credit it against purchases on the day of visit?

I have been twice, and had great experiences both times. The first time was 2018, and because of the fire to our east, we couldn’t see the amazing view. So when we were back in Napa in 2019, I asked if we could visit again, and they happily did the whole tour again. The biggest surprise was that they poured us something blind which was perfectly balanced, ready to drink, but could clearly go for decades more. We all thought 2012, but it turned out to be 2011. Promontory is a great winery and a total class act.

What is the wine price off the mailing list currently?

I’m guessing there are experiences and there are things, sounds like it was worth it to you but it still is only wine.

If I recall the offer back in May was near or over $500 per with a 3pack min purchase. I got the offer a few weeks/months after signing up.

We were able to credit all 3 tasting fees towards a magnum.

I believe the mailing list price is 600 (vs 775 full price)

Is this the son of the the developer/Screaming Eagle owner?

Its Bill Harlan’s winery. His son is involved but Harlan is calling the shots I believe.

Wow that’s actually really reasonable, the one way I could personally justify a purchase at that price.

The wine was exceptional, but for me, it was more of the experience and tour of the facility. Yes $200 was expensive per person, but the fact that there was no one else there but my group, and we got to see the entire facility at a very relaxed pace was well worth it. It was unlike any place I’ve visited in the US.

Has anyone visited recently? What did they pour? Was the experience similar to JonathanG’s comments above? Sure sounds epic! I’m thinking of visiting this summer and would love to hear any add’l feedback. I unfortunately couldn’t get a visit at Harlan, been calling each year for five years and keep hoping “this will be the year” [beg.gif]

Thanks in advance.

I visited over the summer. We had the 2017 from cask — easily the best 2017 and possibly the wine of the vintage.

We also had the 2008 and 2013 and one other.

The wine is very special, quite savory and floral, very different from other Napa Cabernet and nothing like other cult cabernets with crazy extraction etc.

when i find my way back to napa i will definitely try to get in
sounds amazing, thanks for posting

In essence, it’s a free tasting and tour, so long as you buy roughly a bottle per person. That’s a great deal so long as you’re willing and able to buy the bottle.

Sounds like a great tour. Do you think a place like this is happy to have you if you don’t buy, or only buy a bottle?

1 Like

They limit how many you can buy anyway, there were only 3 of us, and we only walked away with 1 mag and 1 750ml. I did not feel any pressure to buy anything from them, just didn’t want to waste the tasting fees! The others in my party agreed that we would spend the tasting fee credit on a bottle and I’d hold it in my offsite storage for 10+ years for a TBD reunion meetup.

I can also vouch for what an amazing experience the tasting is. The winery is among the most beautiful I have ever seen, and the tour is conducted professionally with a lot of very interesting information provided. I am on the list, and still bought what I could. If you have the chance to go, I would highly recommend it.