“Bigger, Bolder” Oregon Pinots

A colleague of mine is headed to the Willamette Valley in November. He leans toward the Napa cabs that many here would rail on as Parker fruit bombs. That being said we have been working to lean him out a bit and expand his palate horizons. But sending him on an AFWE tour in Oregon would be suboptimal. Any suggestions as to “bigger” Pinot houses they should visit?

Penner Ash, Ken Wright, Domaine Serene, Sineann, Ribbon Ridge, Christom, Chehalem, Antica Terra and Beaux Freres have big pinots and some reserved pinots often depending on the weather. These are just the ones we know about as retailers who drink the wines. The locals can direct you directly to those wineries that have your/requested palate and they cover a broad range up there.

Big Table Farm is made by some former Napa folks, nice and full bodied, I’d even say lush at times, but still quite balanced.

Antica Terra is an excellent call. Robust style but very, very good wines.

Also Angela Estate.

Only had Antica Terra once, but it was an experience. Very big and luscious. Great for that style.

I see some good suggestions so far. I’ll add Brittan Vineyards.

I would add Failla and Owen Roe to the list.

The others mentioned hit the mark though I wouldn’t necessarily agree regarding Cristom.

Of those mentioned, I would particularly recommend Antica Terra, Ken Wright, Domaine Serene, Beaux Freres and Big Table Farm.

Just about any bottle labeled Shea Vineyards, no matter which maker.

Elk Cove and Bergstrom, just to add a couple. Plenty of good suggestions. Sometimes Archery Summit.

RT

I’ve never thought of Big Table Farm as that big and bold. I wouldn’t call it light and shy or necessarily AFWE, but is it consensus this is a big Oregon Pinot? Not really the first impression I’ve had.

Thanks folks, appreciate it and will pass on the suggestions.

We are headed there for a quick trip next week and going to Archery Summit, Bethel Heights, Evening Land and Goodfellow…really looking forward to visiting Marcus!

I personally would prefer smaller, shyer and subtler. But that’s just me. For Oregon Pinot, I believe that less is more.

Dan Kravitz

Big for Oregon IMHO, and that’t not meant as a slight in the least. That’s why I felt they were a good transitional style for the OPs request

I’m like your colleague in regards to preferring fruit bombs. I’m on Patricia Green’s mailing list and their wines suit me just fine! Bergstroms up there for me too.

We went to an AT tasting last week and were very impressed even though we generally lean AFWE.
As a bonus, a visit there could also include a Lillian tasting.

But that’s what the OP was looking for, my friend champagne.gif [cheers.gif] flirtysmile

I’ve had a couple of Big Table Farm Wines and I would not categorize as ‘big and bold’, but heck, that’s just me.

And that’s the problem with using these terms - ‘big and bold’ means something different to Alfert and FMIII than it will be Jeb Dunnuck [snort.gif] newhere [stirthepothal.gif]

Cheers

Domaine Divio makes some big, higher ABV fruit bombs, especially in riper years.

Gypsy Dancer too.

Furioso should fit the bill quite nicely. Not fruit bombs but the Napa crowd will very much enjoy. Penner Ash too!

I’d second antica terra. And also mention Coleen Clemens (beautiful spot too) - if they call ahead and arrange to taste with the winemaker, he has his own label called Stephen Goff that is a similar but maybe even dialed up on the flavor spectrum.

Anyone who visits willamette should go to Walter Scott for the chard. One of the top 5 in the US.