My First Musar

I have picked up my first bottles in a few different vintages over the past year (99,03,04,05) and I am going to open one. I have perused numerous threads and tasting notes here and took note of the potential almost mystical experience that awaits (I only slightly exaggerate in summarizing the comments; some of the more enthusiastic might strike the words “potential almost”). I will probably open the 2004. In the course of my “preparation” , I came across some useful information on storing, opening, decanting and enjoying older Chateau Musar on the Musar website. A few sentences particularly caught my attention and reminded me of some comments that I read in the threads and tasting notes. They also reinforce the sense of mystique around this wine.

During the first 5 minutes following the opening of a bottle, you might detect aromas of
undergrowth, earth and mould as the wine adjusts to its new environment. These facets are transient:
remember that the appealing and unpleasant are part of life, the yin and the yang, so be patient. Once
the wine starts to shed these characters, it will open up and develop over hours, sometimes days.

The 04 can still be a bit of a baby. I personally like to decant my Musar (regardless of age) 3+ hours at a minimum.

I’ve had the 99 twice in the last couple of months, definitely go with that one.

And post your thoughts. It’s an intriguing wine, arguably more interesting than great, but definitely distinct.

I 100% agree with the ‘99. In a great spot right now.

It’s an intriguing wine, arguably more interesting than great, but definitely distinct.

Agreed.

It’s not something I’d call absolutely delicious and I don’t know that I’d want to have a lot of it around, but it is indeed distinct. Sometimes you just don’t mind getting a bit dirty.

Some people don’t like it.

Musar 2004 has never been a particularly memorable vintage to me, and I’ve had it several times. 1999, 2003 and 2005, on the other hand, are all great vintages that are drinking beautifully now and will continue to develop for at least a decade or so, keeping well for even longer.

Go with the 1999. We opened one earlier this year and it was ready to go, although it has a long way to go before it gets to the down slope. I agree with the comment above about initial funkiness that is off-putting. Decant it if you can, even for a few minutes if that’s all you’ve got, and the problems disappear as the wine opens up.

Until now I have not experienced any unpleasant funk in the 99. I have had 9 or 10
Open that. It is still available at reasonable price

Thanks for the input. I’ll open the '99.

I know it is just a bottle of wine, but there’s also some synchronicity with the '99 - the age and the vintage will connect with some life events / life threads for me. Wine enjoyment and musing material for hours and days as the wine and ( and other things?) reveal themselves.

Maktoub!

[cheers.gif] [cheers.gif] Then back up the truck while the price is ok

Jim,

I have a few of the ‘99 but have not cracked any. Please post a note when you do. I really like these wines. Character in spades.

Cheers,
Doug

1999 is the most recent vintage that I’m confident is a great vintage. There might be other contenders, like 2010, but the ones I’ve had have been too young to know for sure. If you love the '99, keep in mind that the price will go up drastically over the next few years.

1999 Musar for “cheap”:
https://m.klwines.com/Auction/BidDetail/1439834

06 is great, but not sure if that’s hit the US market yet.

If it hasn’t I doubt it will, since it was released 2½ years ago and haven’t seen them in a year or so.

I really didn’t find 2006 that good upon release, but some of my Musarophilic friends have said that the wine is getting its game together slowly.

2007 has been constantly a disappointing vintage, but 2008 OTOH has been a very impressive and promising one. I have big expectations for that one.

That’s disheartening to hear. I have two bottles of '04 that I just picked up earlier this year for a reasonable price for a back-vintage. I guess that’s probably why the price was so reasonable.

TW

I either missed 2006, or I did not think enough of it to buy. I suspect the latter, but that would have been based on tasting just after release. I liked 2008 a lot. That’s in the possibly great group for me too, but also too young to know for sure at this point. I think Musar can evolve in unexpected ways early in its evolution. I like to start to see some maturity before thinking I really have a handle on any given vintage.

I like the 2005.

Doug, please remind me why the prices for Musar will go up drastically in the next few years. Scarcity and demand dynamics and/or something else? Thanks, -Jim