Montrose 2008

Being sold locally for $109.00, I have read that it is one of the stars of the vintage. Considering it is a birth year wine for my son, thinking about the purchase, but would defer to the more seasoned Bordeaux tasters on the board.

Feel free to pile on [thankyou.gif]

Should be delicious around 2030. Big fan of 2008.

Hard as nails on release.

For my money, I’d look for the 08 Leoville Barton ($50 on release which I foolishly passed on).

Birth year of my oldest kid as well!

I bought a case on a couple of recs. I am a Montrose fan, but they always do need time. Probably just opening when our kids become legal drinkers.

Probably a good bet at that price point.

I suggest you use the search function on this board. For example:

I think it’s perfect for your son starting in around 2038. He would have a birth year classic to enjoy during his adult life or to sell or for you to enjoy if he doesn’t care.

More generally, if you are looking for 2008 recommendations, we can oblige. I’d start with Huet.

Howard, thanks, I used the ‘I am new here’ emoji in jest.

[smileyvault-ban.gif]

A couple of years ago, I saw a 2008 Montrose maggie on sale for only slightly more than the average retail price for the 750. I bought it. Of course I did.

And it might have been a mistake. I love these wines, but they are as stubborn as any in my cellar, and I am not sure when the occasion will arise to drink a fully-mature mag of this wine. A slow-to-mature wine in a slow-to-mature vintage and a slow-to-mature format.

Oh well. It just underscores my newly-adopted philosophy about buying wine: not every bargain is a value to me. Just because it is a good (or even ridiculously good) price doesn’t mean I have to buy.

[winner.gif]