Ravenswood library offer

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
adam landa
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Ravenswood library offer

#401 Post by adam landa » May 2nd, 2020, 7:53 pm

We opened a 1994 Belloni Vineyard Zinfandel tonight. Splash decant and four of us consumed over a couple hours. Some light red fruit that quickly dissipated...more like a restrained / watered-down Bordeaux. Cork was a bit soggy...ah-so did the trick nicely.

Rich Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#402 Post by Rich Brown » May 3rd, 2020, 1:52 pm

C. Keller wrote:
May 2nd, 2020, 5:52 pm
I've had 2 or 3 of these bottles from a few cases that my brother purchased. I discovered that aged wine is not for me nor him.
Wow, did your brother snag a few cases from this library sale!?! Assuming so, that's a lot of wine to purchase from a limited release when you're unsure as to whether or not you like aged wine. Bummer across the board.

Still kinda dissapointed that I wasn't lucky enough to grab any of these within the first 10 minutes. Hoping that next offer they talked about will be done in a way that helps spread the love a little bit, and maybe takes into account peeps who have been supporting O&F since the start.

Michael Martin
GCC Member
GCC Member

#403 Post by Michael Martin » May 3rd, 2020, 2:10 pm

There’s a 2001 Pickberry on Winebid right now for $30+ premium.

Rich Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#404 Post by Rich Brown » May 3rd, 2020, 2:16 pm

Michael Martin wrote:
May 3rd, 2020, 2:10 pm
There’s a 2001 Pickberry on Winebid right now for $30+ premium.
Not bad!

Although i was really only interested in the zins, Icon, and PS. For whatever reason, the Pickberry never really excited me much. Maybe I never gave them enough time?

Tom G l a s g o w
GCC Member
GCC Member

#405 Post by Tom G l a s g o w » May 3rd, 2020, 4:47 pm

Rich Brown wrote:
May 3rd, 2020, 1:52 pm
C. Keller wrote:
I've had 2 or 3 of these bottles from a few cases that my brother purchased. I discovered that aged wine is not for me nor him.
Wow, did your brother snag a few cases from this library sale!?! Assuming so, that's a lot of wine to purchase from a limited release when you're unsure as to whether or not you like aged wine. Bummer across the board.

Still kinda dissapointed that I wasn't lucky enough to grab any of these within the first 10 minutes. Hoping that next offer they talked about will be done in a way that helps spread the love a little bit, and maybe takes into account peeps who have been supporting O&F since the start.
Fast sellout, by pure happenstance i was sitting at a red light and checked my email just as the offer hit. Pulled over after the light turned green and just drilled through the offer. Wines were disappearing fast.
I wound up with 15 bottles, but only 2 zin if that’s any consolation.

Rich Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#406 Post by Rich Brown » May 3rd, 2020, 4:59 pm

Tom G l a s g o w wrote:
May 3rd, 2020, 4:47 pm
Rich Brown wrote:
C. Keller wrote:

Fast sellout, by pure happenstance i was sitting at a red light and checked my email just as the offer hit. Pulled over after the light turned green and just drilled through the offer. Wines were disappearing fast.
Nice man! No ill-will at all towards anyone that got any (although a little surprising that Chris Keller and his brother bought 3 cases without knowing if they appreciated older wines) - I literally tried to buy within 10 minutes or so but just wasnt quick enough I guess. Being that this was an offering through O&F, it would be nice if next time they gave the people who have supported the winery from the beginning a shot at the wines (tiered approach or something) and maybe a max on the number of bottles one person can purchase. I know....I admittedly sound like sour grapes here ;)

#StillBummed

Michael Martin
GCC Member
GCC Member

#407 Post by Michael Martin » May 3rd, 2020, 5:12 pm

I was in the same boat. Sitting in a parking lot trying to buy on my phone and wines were dropping out of my cart left and right. I finally said f*ck it.
I am also an original, first release buyer of O&F and continue to buy today.

Sh@n A
GCC Member
GCC Member

#408 Post by Sh@n A » May 3rd, 2020, 5:15 pm

I offered zins, blends and syrah on this thread at my cost. Only had one or two buyers..
/ @ g r @ \

Rich Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#409 Post by Rich Brown » May 3rd, 2020, 5:20 pm

Sh@n A wrote:
May 3rd, 2020, 5:15 pm
I offered zins, blends and syrah on this thread at my cost. Only had one or two buyers..
Yep, I appreciated that but really only wanted the Icon from your list. Wasnt worth the hassle for either of us.

Either way, like Michael said, I have been and will continue to be an O&F buyer - great wines! Maybe we can ask Joel what the plan is for future library releases on Thursday :)

Tom G l a s g o w
GCC Member
GCC Member

#410 Post by Tom G l a s g o w » May 3rd, 2020, 5:21 pm

Rich Brown wrote:
May 3rd, 2020, 4:59 pm
Tom G l a s g o w wrote:
May 3rd, 2020, 4:47 pm
Rich Brown wrote:

Nice man! No ill-will at all towards anyone that got any (although a little surprising that Chris Keller and his brother bought 3 cases without knowing if they appreciated older wines) - I literally tried to buy within 10 minutes or so but just wasnt quick enough I guess. Being that this was an offering through O&F, it would be nice if next time they gave the people who have supported the winery from the beginning a shot at the wines (tiered approach or something) and maybe a max on the number of bottles one person can purchase. I know....I admittedly sound like sour grapes here ;)

#StillBummed
Not to get pedantic it could’ve only been 2 cases, according to my apparently wrong definition of few as meaning 2 to 3. Hopefully, there is a next time. No way I’d give up on aged wines on the basis of one library purchase. Maybe you’ll get a heads up on a commerce corner sales of some library O&F.

Michael Martin
GCC Member
GCC Member

#411 Post by Michael Martin » May 3rd, 2020, 5:38 pm

Sh@n A wrote:
You don’t understand. We want to whine about being dissed as original buyers of O&F. Being out bought by people who had FOMO. [snort.gif]

Sh@n A
GCC Member
GCC Member

#412 Post by Sh@n A » May 3rd, 2020, 5:44 pm

Rich Brown wrote:
May 3rd, 2020, 5:20 pm
Sh@n A wrote:
Yep, I appreciated that but really only wanted the Icon from your list. Wasnt worth the hassle for either of us.

Either way, like Michael said, I have been and will continue to be an O&F buyer - great wines! Maybe we can ask Joel what the plan is for future library releases on Thursday :)
A retailer in boston has the icon and maybe some others. Their price is above release price. I ended up buying two more icons at 55 after selling one to someone at WB for the 30 or so which was a steal. PM me and I can confirm their availability if you have interest. Shipping window is closing!
/ @ g r @ \

Sh@n A
GCC Member
GCC Member

#413 Post by Sh@n A » May 3rd, 2020, 5:48 pm

Michael Martin wrote:
May 3rd, 2020, 5:38 pm
Being out bought by people who had FOMO. [snort.gif]
WB FOMO is palpable.
/ @ g r @ \

Rich Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#414 Post by Rich Brown » May 3rd, 2020, 5:56 pm

Sh@n A wrote:
May 3rd, 2020, 5:44 pm
Rich Brown wrote:
Sh@n A wrote:

A retailer in boston has the icon and maybe some others. Their price is above release price. I ended up buying two more icons at 55 after selling one to someone at WB for the 30 or so which was a steal. PM me and I can confirm their availability if you have interest. Shipping window is closing!
Nice! I really appreciate the offer but sadly here in AZ, the shipping window is pretty much closed. Over 100 degrees already. Pool time and more white wine!

Rich Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#415 Post by Rich Brown » May 3rd, 2020, 5:56 pm

Sh@n A wrote:
May 3rd, 2020, 5:48 pm
Michael Martin wrote:
May 3rd, 2020, 5:38 pm
Being out bought by people who had FOMO. [snort.gif]
WB FOMO is palpable.
That is very, VERY true ;)

Tom G l a s g o w
GCC Member
GCC Member

#416 Post by Tom G l a s g o w » May 3rd, 2020, 6:14 pm

Rich Brown wrote:
May 3rd, 2020, 5:56 pm
Sh@n A wrote:
Rich Brown wrote:

Nice! I really appreciate the offer but sadly here in AZ, the shipping window is pretty much closed. Over 100 degrees already. Pool time and more white wine!
You AZ residents laugh in the face of shelter in place, 5 months shelter in place, every year after year?

Rich Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#417 Post by Rich Brown » May 3rd, 2020, 6:16 pm

Tom G l a s g o w wrote:
May 3rd, 2020, 6:14 pm
Rich Brown wrote:
May 3rd, 2020, 5:56 pm
Sh@n A wrote:

You AZ residents laugh in the face of shelter in place, 5 months shelter in place, every year after year?
Ha ha! Come on now, we get out a little bit. Like.....from my patio door to the pool and back ;)

Victor Hong

#418 Post by Victor Hong » May 3rd, 2020, 7:18 pm

Winebid, tonight.
WineHunter.

Michael Martin
GCC Member
GCC Member

#419 Post by Michael Martin » May 4th, 2020, 9:30 am

Victor Hong wrote:
May 3rd, 2020, 7:18 pm
Winebid, tonight.
Based on this thread, you knew that was inevitable.

Buy because FOMO, drink, hate, sell.

Jeff VanDenbussche

#420 Post by Jeff VanDenbussche » May 4th, 2020, 1:10 pm

Sh@n A wrote:
Rich Brown wrote:
Sh@n A wrote:

.I ended up buying two more icons at 55 after selling one to someone at WB for the 30 or so which was a steal.
Hmmm... I wonder who that may have been. Thanks again Sh@n!

z_hart
GCC Member
GCC Member

#421 Post by z_hart » May 4th, 2020, 3:30 pm

Michael Martin wrote:
May 4th, 2020, 9:30 am
Victor Hong wrote:
May 3rd, 2020, 7:18 pm
Winebid, tonight.
Based on this thread, you knew that was inevitable.

Buy because FOMO, drink, hate, sell.
LOL, that's exactly what I thought too. I'm guessing it was not someones cup of tea. Actually, I think that most wine drinkers would not like them. But those that do....
z a c h

Demian Saenz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#422 Post by Demian Saenz » May 27th, 2020, 4:58 pm

Opened the ‘87 Cooke Zinfandel : another lucky cork, used a waiters corkscrew, broke halfway out but super easy to get the second part out.

At first I thought this was corked but the wine needed 10 minutes out of the bottle. Color was a dark brick red, predominantly licorice with some cherry undertones.

Normally, I’d drink the whole bottle for dinner, but I’m going to leave some for tomorrow to get see how this wine progresses over 24 hours.

Richard Jen

#423 Post by Richard Jen » July 27th, 2020, 12:07 pm

Joel is offering a MIXED CASE of his Ravenswood Library wines exclusively to you!

This note is to announce our upcoming release that will take place at 12:01am PST, Tuesday, August 4th 2020.
The offering will be open until 11:59 pm PST, Tuesday, August 11th, 2020
12:01am...
[cheers.gif]

Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member

#424 Post by Brian Tuite » July 27th, 2020, 12:19 pm

Richard Jen wrote:
July 27th, 2020, 12:07 pm
Joel is offering a MIXED CASE of his Ravenswood Library wines exclusively to you!

This note is to announce our upcoming release that will take place at 12:01am PST, Tuesday, August 4th 2020.
A case cherry picked by Joel? I’ll be awake!
Bob Wood - 1949-2013 Berserker for eternity! RIP

"On self-reflection, I think a big part of it was me just being a PITA customer..." ~ Anonymous Berserker

”Dammit Brian, until you tuited this diatribe, I was haiku aging my shit.” ~ Alfert

2020 WOTY Candidates

- 2018 Once & Future Old Hill Ranch

Jeff_M.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#425 Post by Jeff_M. » July 27th, 2020, 12:48 pm

Mixed mystery case. No wimpy wines.
Jeff M 0 l l

2020 WOTY Candidates
2007 Yangarra Estate High Sands Grenache
1986 Spottswoode Cabernet
2012 Hartford Court Arrendell Vineyard Pinot Noir

AD Northup
GCC Member
GCC Member

#426 Post by AD Northup » July 27th, 2020, 12:52 pm

Hmmm no email...
A n d r e w N o r t h u p

2020 WsOTY:

2015 Roses de Jeanne / Cédric Bouchard Champagne Blanc de Noirs La Presle (#1)
1954 Fontanafredda Barbaresco
2015 Ultramarine BdB

2019 WsOTY:
1994 Edmunds St. John Les Côtes Sauvages
2016 P. S. Garcia Grenache Piedra Lisa
2002 Perrier-Jouet Belle Époque
2005 Faja dos Padres Malvasia

Mike C.

#427 Post by Mike C. » July 27th, 2020, 12:55 pm

AD Northup wrote:
July 27th, 2020, 12:52 pm
Hmmm no email...
Same here. Aside from getting a few bottles in the previous library offer, I only picked up a couple bottles in the most recent O&F release, so maybe they are targeting this to the biggest supporters of O&F (which would be fair).
h@0

Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member

#428 Post by Brian Tuite » July 27th, 2020, 1:55 pm

Mike C. wrote:
July 27th, 2020, 12:55 pm
AD Northup wrote:
Hmmm no email...
Same here. Aside from getting a few bottles in the previous library offer, I only picked up a couple bottles in the most recent O&F release, so maybe they are targeting this to the biggest supporters of O&F (which would be fair).
“ Last year, I offered some of these wines to the Once & Future Wine mailing list. The response was well beyond my expectations; the offering was snapped up in only a matter of hours. That offering featured wines that I had in larger quantities. What remains now are a number of smaller lots of individual wines. The logistics of offering each of these small lots is daunting—issues of sorting, packing, and ensuring equitable distribution are just the beginning of potential problems. As a trial of the concept, I thought it might be interesting to put together mixed cases of these rare wines and offer them to a limited group of subscribers on the Once & Future mailing list.”

Not sure what the criteria are but that’s what he said in the email.

"On self-reflection, I think a big part of it was me just being a PITA customer..." ~ Anonymous Berserker

”Dammit Brian, until you tuited this diatribe, I was haiku aging my shit.” ~ Alfert

2020 WOTY Candidates

AD Northup
GCC Member
GCC Member

#429 Post by AD Northup » July 27th, 2020, 1:56 pm

Brian Tuite wrote:
July 27th, 2020, 1:55 pm
Mike C. wrote:
July 27th, 2020, 12:55 pm
AD Northup wrote:
Hmmm no email...
“ Last year, I offered some of these wines to the Once & Future Wine mailing list. The response was well beyond my expectations; the offering was snapped up in only a matter of hours. That offering featured wines that I had in larger quantities. What remains now are a number of smaller lots of individual wines. The logistics of offering each of these small lots is daunting—issues of sorting, packing, and ensuring equitable distribution are just the beginning of potential problems. As a trial of the concept, I thought it might be interesting to put together mixed cases of these rare wines and offer them to a limited group of subscribers on the Once & Future mailing list.”

Not sure what the criteria is but that’s what he said in the email.
Thanks! I ordered from the first few releases and the library, but since O&F has been one of the unfortunate ones I culled from my recurring purchase list. Glad that these will find the hands of hopefully loyal and longtime supporters.

2020 WsOTY:

2015 Ultramarine BdB

2019 WsOTY:

D@vid Bu3ker
GCC Member
GCC Member

#430 Post by D@vid Bu3ker » July 27th, 2020, 2:14 pm

Loyal and longtime here...no email.
David Bueker - Rieslingfan

Anton D
GCC Member
GCC Member

#431 Post by Anton D » July 27th, 2020, 2:54 pm

Brian Tuite wrote:
July 27th, 2020, 12:19 pm
Richard Jen wrote:
July 27th, 2020, 12:07 pm

A case cherry picked by Joel? I’ll be awake!
Holy cow, I was just writing a tasting note for a Ravenswood.

No email, but I will try to sneak in.

We do buy from the list!
Anton Dotson

What is man, when you come to think upon him, but a minutely set, ingenious machine for turning, with infinite artfulness, the fine red wine of Shiraz into urine?

John Preston
GCC Member
GCC Member

#432 Post by John Preston » July 27th, 2020, 3:00 pm

I have been buying O&F from the very beginning. Two cases per order the last couple of offerings. I did buy from the previous library offer but was unable to secure my allocations (only able to buy 4 bottles?) within seconds of the offering. No email for me fyi...and that is ok since I am trying to reduce my overall wine purchases. I know, good luck with that ; )

Cheers,
JP

Rich Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#433 Post by Rich Brown » July 27th, 2020, 10:34 pm

D@vid Bu3ker wrote:
July 27th, 2020, 2:14 pm
Same. Been buying O&F since the first release and have not missed an offer. Nada.

Got unlucky on the last library sale as well. Guess it's just not in the cards for me. Oh well, prob dont need any more older zin anyway.

Andrew W.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#434 Post by Andrew W. » July 27th, 2020, 10:48 pm

Same, have bought from several releases and enjoy his wines. No dice on an email. Too bad as I’ve lived everything I’ve opened from the initial library release.
A. 'Wy.man'

David Baum

#435 Post by David Baum » August 2nd, 2020, 6:17 pm

PSA another email reminder just went out

MatthewT
GCC Member
GCC Member

#436 Post by MatthewT » August 2nd, 2020, 6:19 pm

Each person can buy up to two cases. Given it's gonna sell out super fast seems odd to offer that.
I'm a Turk

AD Northup
GCC Member
GCC Member

#437 Post by AD Northup » August 2nd, 2020, 6:22 pm

If anyone wants someone to go half-sies with them....87 Sonoma Zin was insane tonight

2020 WsOTY:

2015 Ultramarine BdB

2019 WsOTY:

Andrew W.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#438 Post by Andrew W. » August 3rd, 2020, 12:04 pm

Yea, happy to go in with anyone who got an offer
A. 'Wy.man'

Joel Peterson

#439 Post by Joel Peterson » August 3rd, 2020, 2:01 pm

Rich Brown wrote:
July 27th, 2020, 10:34 pm
D@vid Bu3ker wrote:
Same. Been buying O&F since the first release and have not missed an offer. Nada.

Got unlucky on the last library sale as well. Guess it's just not in the cards for me. Oh well, prob dont need any more older zin anyway.
Hey Rich and David, et al,
This offer only went to subscribers in California in part because I wasn't sure how a mixed "surprise" case would be received by my subscribers. There are a couple of other issues as well but they are logistical in nature. If you want to get in on this offer, send me or Erika@onceandfuturewine.com an email and we will work something out. Joel
ITB

D@vid Bu3ker
GCC Member
GCC Member

#440 Post by D@vid Bu3ker » August 3rd, 2020, 2:17 pm

Joel Peterson wrote:
August 3rd, 2020, 2:01 pm
Rich Brown wrote:
D@vid Bu3ker wrote:

This offer only went to subscribers in California in part because I wasn't sure how a mixed "surprise" case would be received by my subscribers. There are a couple of other issues as well but they are logistical in nature. If you want to get in on this offer, send me or Erika@onceandfuturewine.com an email and we will work something out. Joel
Thanks for the explanation. No worries. I got mine from the prior offering, and am glad that others will be getting a chance at some. Sharing is caring!

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#441 Post by Todd F r e n c h » August 3rd, 2020, 2:34 pm

I'm guessing the offer won't need a week - it will be sold out in a day
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)

Jeff_M.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#442 Post by Jeff_M. » August 3rd, 2020, 2:37 pm

Got the offer, on the fence with an Aubert offer tomorrow as well.
Jeff M 0 l l

2020 WOTY Candidates
2007 Yangarra Estate High Sands Grenache
1986 Spottswoode Cabernet
2012 Hartford Court Arrendell Vineyard Pinot Noir

Adam G

#443 Post by Adam G » August 3rd, 2020, 4:15 pm

With a midnight start time, I just hope it lasts until I wake up tomorrow morning.
A. Gr0ssm@n

Tom Chen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#444 Post by Tom Chen » August 3rd, 2020, 4:37 pm

Adam G wrote:
August 3rd, 2020, 4:15 pm
With a midnight start time, I just hope it lasts until I wake up tomorrow morning.
I asked Erika about that, and she said that while no guarantees, I should be fine ordering in the morning.

While I would have happily stayed up to place the order (still working through the the libary offer, but all wines have been fantastic so far), I am glad I can place the order in the morning.

Tom

Rich Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#445 Post by Rich Brown » August 3rd, 2020, 7:40 pm

Joel Peterson wrote:
August 3rd, 2020, 2:01 pm
Rich Brown wrote:
D@vid Bu3ker wrote:

Thanks Joel - really appreciate that! But I definitley dont want to cause any logistical issues (i.e. be a pain in the ass) so I'm totally good sitting this one out if it's only for CA peeps. I'll be cheering from the sidelines and will be ready to play if you offer another library release to a wider geo [cheers.gif]

Sean_S
GCC Member
GCC Member

#446 Post by Sean_S » August 4th, 2020, 12:10 am

This is way better than J Rimmerman mystery. All of the last library sale were great wines. I Still have a few left there and can't wait to see what goodies come this time. All of the wines have been in excellent shape with corks and contents in top condition. Not a wimpy cork yet :)

BONUS: They are offering autographed posters so I had to get one of those too....

Sean
CT: Seanwsmithm3
Santa Cruz Mountains, CA

2020 WOTY Candidates
1994 Ravenswood Petite Sirah Sonoma County
1995 Williams Selyem Pinot Noir Summa Vineyard
1999 Domaine Jamet Côte-Rôtie

David Baum

#447 Post by David Baum » August 4th, 2020, 12:13 am

Release is open. Just grabbed my two cases. Price was $450/case. very fair

Sean- Agree on those 94 petite sirahs. I got two and they were both great. Steal at $25

Sean_S
GCC Member
GCC Member

#448 Post by Sean_S » August 4th, 2020, 12:23 am

David Baum wrote:
August 4th, 2020, 12:13 am
Release is open. Just grabbed my two cases. Price was $450/case. very fair

Sean- Agree on those 94 petite sirahs. I got two and they were both great. Steal at $25
No doubt in for 2 as well. Got me thinking about that PS... I've opened a few more since then but this one stood out to me.

• 1994 Ravenswood Petite Sirah Sonoma County - USA, California, Sonoma County (5/10/2020)
    Stunning bottle. WOTY candidate. Fresh Black fruit and leather on the nose with some earth backing it up. On the palate, fresh blackberry, olallieberry, and blueberry, leather, dirt, and layers of fine tannins. Acidity comes to the foreground on the mid-palate and dances with the tannins on the very long finish. This one is just turning secondary. One might guess ten years, but this wine is silly fresh for 26 years and still showing plenty of everything, including fruit and tannins. It's fully balanced and full of layers. Oustanding Petit Sirah. Best of the four bottles from the Ravenswood library. All have been very good to excellent—this one stellar, reminiscent of a great aged Bordeaux.
Posted from CellarTracker
CT: Seanwsmithm3
Santa Cruz Mountains, CA

2020 WOTY Candidates
1994 Ravenswood Petite Sirah Sonoma County
1995 Williams Selyem Pinot Noir Summa Vineyard
1999 Domaine Jamet Côte-Rôtie

Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member

#449 Post by Brian Tuite » August 4th, 2020, 12:37 am

I wasn’t greedy, I left a case for someone else.

2020 WOTY Candidates

D@vid Bu3ker
GCC Member
GCC Member

#450 Post by D@vid Bu3ker » August 4th, 2020, 6:22 am

I logged in for fun and it let me buy a case.

Return to “Wine Talk”