Ravenswood library offer

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Kerry W.

Re: Ravenswood library offer

#201 Post by Kerry W. » October 15th, 2019, 1:05 pm

No idea what I'm doing but here's what I got:

--------------------
Ravenswood 1995 Gregory Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon 76% Cabernet Sauvignon, 24% Merlot
Ravenswood 1989 Sonoma County Cabernet Sauvignon 80% Cabernet Sauvignon, 8% Cabernet Franc, 8% Merlot, 4% Petite Verdot
Ravenswood 1990 Sonoma County Merlot
Ravenswood 1994 Pickberry Vineyard 63% Merlot, 21% Cabernet Sauvignon, 18% Merlot
Ravenswood 1994 Belloni Vineyard Zinfandel Field blend - 80% Zinfandel with balance mostly Petite Sirah, Alicante Bouchet, Carignane and Mataro
Ravenswood 1994 Monte Rosso Vineyard Zinfandel 100% Zinfandel
Ravenswood 1994 Old Hill Vineyard Zinfandel Field Blend - 80%Zinfandel and at least 16 other grape varieties co-fermented.
Ravenswood 1987 Sonoma County Zinfandel
Ravenswood 1992 Sonoma County Zinfandel
Ravenswood 1998 Teldeschi Vineyard Zinfandel 85% Zinfandel - balance is Petite Sirah and Carignane
---------------------

Those with some experience, which 4 or 5 should I be drinking first if I were to save the better ones for later? Or rather, I should I ask, which 4 or 5 should I save? [cheers.gif]
W 0 n g

D@vid Bu3ker
GCC Member
GCC Member

#202 Post by D@vid Bu3ker » October 15th, 2019, 1:08 pm

They are all completely ready to drink. Have one a month over the next year (or less).
David Bueker - Rieslingfan

Sh@n A
GCC Member
GCC Member

#203 Post by Sh@n A » October 15th, 2019, 1:10 pm

Jason T wrote:
October 15th, 2019, 12:14 pm
Sh@n A wrote:
October 15th, 2019, 10:38 am
Happy to set up an offline in NY and split a few bottles that I purchased/have others bring theirs. Would have to be an odd time around the holidays, unless we pushed to Jan/Feb.
I couldn’t do the holidays. Could maybe do Jan, and would happily contribute some bottles.
happy to pencil in a date now. Can get a corkage deal on a Tuesday or Wednesday. Can also get reduced other days at a Steakhouse if we share the wines. Will leave to others to come up with a date, but would suggest 2nd or 3rd week of Jan, and not the 1st week.
/ @ g r @ \

Nate Simon
GCC Member
GCC Member

#204 Post by Nate Simon » October 15th, 2019, 1:14 pm

D@vid Bu3ker wrote:
October 15th, 2019, 1:08 pm
They are all completely ready to drink. Have one a month over the next year (or less).
+1. No point in “saving for later.” At this age, despite their excellent reputation and excellent winemaker, they’re unknowns...I think Joel alluded to that in the mailer. Open them at will, and enjoy them on their own terms. No rational basis for waiting.

David Baum

#205 Post by David Baum » October 15th, 2019, 1:33 pm

Almost completely sold out.

Per a friend who has a long history with the zins. He always preferred the late ripening years over the early ripening warmer vintages we typically consider better like 94, 97 etc. I went for a bunch of the 93's on his recommendation. He's gonna drink them with me so he'll bear the brunt of that call.

Jason T
GCC Member
GCC Member

#206 Post by Jason T » October 15th, 2019, 1:41 pm

Sh@n A wrote:
October 15th, 2019, 1:10 pm
Jason T wrote:
October 15th, 2019, 12:14 pm
Sh@n A wrote:
October 15th, 2019, 10:38 am
Happy to set up an offline in NY and split a few bottles that I purchased/have others bring theirs. Would have to be an odd time around the holidays, unless we pushed to Jan/Feb.
I couldn’t do the holidays. Could maybe do Jan, and would happily contribute some bottles.
happy to pencil in a date now. Can get a corkage deal on a Tuesday or Wednesday. Can also get reduced other days at a Steakhouse if we share the wines. Will leave to others to come up with a date, but would suggest 2nd or 3rd week of Jan, and not the 1st week.
Same here. 2nd or 3rd week of Jan would work. I’m relatively open on date within that time frame.
J@son Tr@ughber

Michael Martin
GCC Member
GCC Member

#207 Post by Michael Martin » October 15th, 2019, 1:46 pm

Everything I selected went to wish list. I gave up.
Just went back on now. All but two are SOLD OUT.

Tom G l a s g o w
GCC Member
GCC Member

#208 Post by Tom G l a s g o w » October 15th, 2019, 1:50 pm

Anton D wrote:
October 15th, 2019, 9:35 am
Holy cow!

Not sure what I actually purchased, but fun selections!

It seemed that things in my cart would get sold out as I was shopping.

At the end, I just hit the 'purchase' button and we'll see what went through!
14 bottles of mostly twosomes, $34 average cost. I wish.listed 2 bottles I don’t expect to get since right now there is only two merlots left. I lucked out, was on the road and just happened to check email as the offer came in.

Tom G l a s g o w
GCC Member
GCC Member

#209 Post by Tom G l a s g o w » October 15th, 2019, 1:58 pm

This is what I got
Once and Future Wine
2 Ravenswood 1995 Gregory Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon 76% Cabernet Sauvignon, 24% Merlot
$45.00 each
2 Ravenswood 1994 Los Chamizal Vineyard Merlot 100% Merlot
$35.00 each
2 Ravenswood 1994 Sonoma County Petite Sirah
$25.00 each
4 Ravenswood 1994 Icon 100% Syrah
$30.00 each
2 Ravenswood 1995 Rancho Salina Vineyard 42% Cabernet Franc, 40% Cabernet Sauvignon, 18% Merlot
$40.00 each
2 Ravenswood 1993 Los Chamizal Vineyard Zinfandel 100% Zinfandel

Sh@n A
GCC Member
GCC Member

#210 Post by Sh@n A » October 15th, 2019, 2:16 pm

Jason T wrote:
October 15th, 2019, 1:41 pm
Same here. 2nd or 3rd week of Jan would work. I’m relatively open on date within that time frame.
Jason, will let you pick: Tuesday at Contemporary American/French (food is more expensive, nice stems, may have tiny corkage), Tuesday at italian ($20/bottle corkage + reasonable-ish priced italian), Wednesday at French Bistro (food is OK not great, decent stems, no corkage), or any day at a steakhouse (NYC prices for apps/steaks, but may be $100 flat corkage for the table.. potentially zero depending on how generous we are with sharing with the staff).

Picking the restaurant kind of picks the date. And once we have a date, we can organize something quickly/easily enough.
/ @ g r @ \

Jason T
GCC Member
GCC Member

#211 Post by Jason T » October 15th, 2019, 2:50 pm

Sh@n A wrote:
October 15th, 2019, 2:16 pm
Jason T wrote:
Jason, will let you pick: Tuesday at Contemporary American/French (food is more expensive, nice stems, may have tiny corkage), Tuesday at italian ($20/bottle corkage + reasonable-ish priced italian), Wednesday at French Bistro (food is OK not great, decent stems, no corkage), or any day at a steakhouse (NYC prices for apps/steaks, but may be $100 flat corkage for the table.. potentially zero depending on how generous we are with sharing with the staff).

Picking the restaurant kind of picks the date. And once we have a date, we can organize something quickly/easily enough.
Sh@n, I love the options. I’m in for Tuesday with contemporary French/American. Though if there was conviction for Wednesday apps/steaks I’d go along.
J@son Tr@ughber

John Preston
GCC Member
GCC Member

#212 Post by John Preston » October 15th, 2019, 4:59 pm

Due to overwhelming demand we find ourselves in the enviable, but frustrating, position of having to close the recent Ravenswood Library offering much earlier than expected. Enviable because all the wine has been sold. Frustrating because we are not able to provide wine to all the enthusiastic customers that were interested in having some. I apologize to those of you who were unable to get the wines you hoped for. In addition, since all the wine has been sold, we are unable to fill any of the wish list requests.
We had over 100 orders in the first 10 minutes of the offering. To say I was surprised at the level of excitement is something of an understatement. There are more wines in my Ravenswood library that will be offered in a future release. With the next release I will be more conscious of the enthusiasm and put more severe limits on allocations so that the wines will go a bit further.
Thank you for your support of my wines. I am thrilled, humbled and grateful.
All the Best,
Joel

Adam G

#213 Post by Adam G » October 15th, 2019, 5:03 pm

I don't know how "wines will be held in your cart for 15 minutes" comports with "2 bottles of Teldeschi Zin vanished from my cart in 4 minutes". Frustrating since I was super excited about that. Fingers crossed I get those on wish list.
For those of us who'd like to fill a case, you think they would allocate a couple bottles of O&F to fill it out along with the free shipping?
Also, I don't know what "pro-rated" shipping means, as it charged me $35 for what ended up being 10 bottles.
Last edited by Adam G on October 15th, 2019, 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A. Gr0ssm@n

D@vid Bu3ker
GCC Member
GCC Member

#214 Post by D@vid Bu3ker » October 15th, 2019, 5:07 pm

All the wine is gone according to a new Joel Peterson email. No wishlist wines for anyone.

Wow. That was intense.

Adam G

#215 Post by Adam G » October 15th, 2019, 5:15 pm

D@vid Bu3ker wrote:
October 15th, 2019, 5:07 pm
All the wine is gone according to a new Joel Peterson email. No wishlist wines for anyone.

Wow. That was intense.
I totally missed the "no wish list" statement in the email. Dammit.
A. Gr0ssm@n

Chr!s G|@rn3r
GCC Member
GCC Member

#216 Post by Chr!s G|@rn3r » October 15th, 2019, 5:17 pm

All wines I got were 1992-1998.

How long should I let these settle after receiving before opening?

How long should I keep them upright before opening?

TIA

D@vid Bu3ker
GCC Member
GCC Member

#217 Post by D@vid Bu3ker » October 15th, 2019, 5:24 pm

A couple of weeks. Maybe a month.

A couple of weeks.

Nate Simon
GCC Member
GCC Member

#218 Post by Nate Simon » October 15th, 2019, 5:36 pm

As someone who does not in the slightest bit subscribe to the mythology of travel shock, I would say stand the bottle up for a few hours, maybe a day or two, and go at it.

Nate Simon
GCC Member
GCC Member

#219 Post by Nate Simon » October 15th, 2019, 5:37 pm

John Preston wrote:
October 15th, 2019, 4:59 pm
Due to overwhelming demand we find ourselves in the enviable, but frustrating, position of having to close the recent Ravenswood Library offering much earlier than expected. Enviable because all the wine has been sold. Frustrating because we are not able to provide wine to all the enthusiastic customers that were interested in having some. I apologize to those of you who were unable to get the wines you hoped for. In addition, since all the wine has been sold, we are unable to fill any of the wish list requests.
We had over 100 orders in the first 10 minutes of the offering. To say I was surprised at the level of excitement is something of an understatement. There are more wines in my Ravenswood library that will be offered in a future release. With the next release I will be more conscious of the enthusiasm and put more severe limits on allocations so that the wines will go a bit further.
Thank you for your support of my wines. I am thrilled, humbled and grateful.
All the Best,
Joel
Uh...there’s more?

John Preston
GCC Member
GCC Member

#220 Post by John Preston » October 15th, 2019, 6:10 pm

I wonder how many people just "joined" the O&F mailing list to get this? ; )

Cheers,
JP

D@vid Bu3ker
GCC Member
GCC Member

#221 Post by D@vid Bu3ker » October 15th, 2019, 6:15 pm

I hope none of them got the Old Hill Zins.

Mike Stoneking
GCC Member
GCC Member

#222 Post by Mike Stoneking » October 15th, 2019, 6:15 pm

Love to see the NY offline being setup. All of my bottles will go to the almost annual Old Vine offline we do out here in California. Great way to share this great offering.
ITB..............Someone has to drink all this damn wine.
Viva Berserkers!!

Sh@n A
GCC Member
GCC Member

#223 Post by Sh@n A » October 15th, 2019, 6:33 pm

Jason T wrote:
... I’m in for Tuesday with contemporary French/American. Though if there was conviction for Wednesday apps/steaks I’d go along.
Lets say:
Tuesday, January 21st
River Park (can switch to steakhouse later)
7:00pm
7 seats

Seat 1: Sh@n A (bringing + will sell to others)
Seat 2: Jason T (bringing?)

Attendees can buy a bottle from me or someone else at average value of wines being brought (which I'm guessing will end up around $60).

I can start a new thread in NYC offlines when I get to a computer later.
/ @ g r @ \

OwenB

#224 Post by OwenB » October 15th, 2019, 8:17 pm

Wow, many of you seem to have cleaned up here. I logged in at 12:20 et and couldn’t get anything I put in my cart except a single bottle of merlot.
    8 A $ H A

Tom Reddick
    GCC Member
    GCC Member

#225 Post by Tom Reddick » October 15th, 2019, 9:28 pm

John Preston wrote:
    October 15th, 2019, 6:10 pm
    I wonder how many people just "joined" the O&F mailing list to get this? ; )

Cheers,
    JP
    Guilty. I sold a lot of Ravenswood in my college ITB retail days, and I thought it would be fun to be able to try a handful again for old times sake. That said, I do not follow CA closely and had no idea the winemaker had a new venture- so I am interested in that going forward even though I do not have a buying history there.

I logged in right at the start this morning and all but of 2 of the wines I had on my list of 12 to buy were wish list only. So even taking into account the surge of buyers right at the open, I am thinking that being so late to sign up gave me second priority on a lot of things. And so I passed entirely on the assumption that nothing wish listed was going to happen. A shame for me, but I was prepared for the possibility that there might be tiers of actual access based on who did or did not have a buying history- and that is certainly a fair practice if that is in fact what happened.

Looking forward to trying the new wines and maybe having a shot at more library items later- the email I got this evening announcing a sell-out of today's offering seemed to indicate there will be future library releases from the same stocks.
    ITB - Cellar appraisals

Mike Maguire
    GCC Member
    GCC Member

#226 Post by Mike Maguire » October 15th, 2019, 9:43 pm

I was traveling most of the day and didn’t check my email til 3pm, nothing to buy.Have bought every offering of O&F since the beginning.One of the newbies can have my spot I guess.

Jason T
    GCC Member
    GCC Member

#227 Post by Jason T » October 16th, 2019, 12:44 am

Sh@n A wrote:
    October 15th, 2019, 6:33 pm
    Jason T wrote:
    ... I’m in for Tuesday with contemporary French/American. Though if there was conviction for Wednesday apps/steaks I’d go along.
    Lets say:
    Tuesday, January 21st
    River Park (can switch to steakhouse later)
    7:00pm
    7 seats

Seat 1: Sh@n A (bringing + will sell to others)
    Seat 2: Jason T (bringing?)

Attendees can buy a bottle from me or someone else at average value of wines being brought (which I'm guessing will end up around $60).

I can start a new thread in NYC offlines when I get to a computer later.
    Sh@n that works for me. I’m bringing and we can coordinate so there’s no overlap. Thanks for getting this going!
    J@son Tr@ughber

D@vid Bu3ker
    GCC Member
    GCC Member

#228 Post by D@vid Bu3ker » October 16th, 2019, 2:22 am

Mike Maguire wrote:
    October 15th, 2019, 9:43 pm
    I was traveling most of the day and didn’t check my email til 3pm, nothing to buy.Have bought every offering of O&F since the beginning.One of the newbies can have my spot I guess.
    Joel made it clear in the announcement that it was first come, first served for limited wines.

D@ve D y r 0 f f
    GCC Member
    GCC Member

#229 Post by D@ve D y r 0 f f » October 16th, 2019, 2:51 am

Looks like I picked the wrong week to be too busy to look at WB. Though probably good for my budget and storage space issues.

AD Northup
    GCC Member
    GCC Member

#230 Post by AD Northup » October 16th, 2019, 3:17 am

D@ve D y r 0 f f wrote:
    October 16th, 2019, 2:51 am
    Looks like I picked the wrong week to be too busy to look at WB. Though probably good for my budget and storage space issues.
    It sounds like there may be another release at some point in the future.
    A n d r e w N o r t h u p

WsOTY:
    1994 Edmunds St. John Les Côtes Sauvages
    2016 P. S. Garcia Grenache Piedra Lisa
    2010 Ridge Lytton Springs
    2002 Perrier-Jouet Belle Epoque

D@vid Bu3ker
    GCC Member
    GCC Member

#231 Post by D@vid Bu3ker » October 16th, 2019, 4:29 am

Tom Reddick wrote:
    October 15th, 2019, 9:28 pm

I logged in right at the start this morning and all but of 2 of the wines I had on my list of 12 to buy were wish list only. So even taking into account the surge of buyers right at the open, I am thinking that being so late to sign up gave me second priority on a lot of things. And so I passed entirely on the assumption that nothing wish listed was going to happen. A shame for me, but I was prepared for the possibility that there might be tiers of actual access based on who did or did not have a buying history- and that is certainly a fair practice if that is in fact what happened.
    Nope. Wrong.

Wines were already disappearing to wish list status at 12:01:15 EDT (9:01:15 PDT). I have been buying O&F since the first release, and it just moved really fast. There were no tiers.

Robert.A.Jr.
    GCC Member
    GCC Member

#232 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » October 16th, 2019, 5:02 am

Ha, I was in a car driving to vacation, wasn’t able to check until around 10 PM. As expected, bye bye . . .

"@lf3rt was clearly raised in an outhouse in the Loire. . . ."

Kenny H (circa 2015)

Brian Tuite
    GCC Member
    GCC Member

#233 Post by Brian Tuite » October 16th, 2019, 5:24 am

Nate Simon wrote:
    October 15th, 2019, 5:36 pm
    As someone who does not in the slightest bit subscribe to the mythology of travel shock, I would say stand the bottle up for a few hours, maybe a day or two, and go at it.
    These are loaded with sediment. Unless you like crap between your teeth I would suggest pourig through a filter if you want to just plow through.
    Bob Wood - 1949-2013 Berserker for eternity! RIP

"On self-reflection, I think a big part of it was me just being a PITA customer..." ~ Anonymous Berserker

"Something so subtle only I can detect it." ~ Randy Bowman

2019 WOTY...

Glenn L e v i n e
    GCC Member
    GCC Member

#234 Post by Glenn L e v i n e » October 16th, 2019, 5:27 am

Had work right at nine and didn’t even log in until just past 9:30.

Got five bottles of Merlot, wishlisted 30 other bottles and assume I’ll get none of them.
    "Never lose sight of the fact that it is just fermented grape juice" - a winemaker and negotiant in Napa Valley, CA

D@vid Bu3ker
    GCC Member
    GCC Member

#235 Post by D@vid Bu3ker » October 16th, 2019, 5:27 am

Brian Tuite wrote:
    October 16th, 2019, 5:24 am
    Nate Simon wrote:
    These are loaded with sediment. Unless you like crap between your teeth I would suggest pouring through a filter if you want to just plow through.
    Exactly.

My thoughts regarding leaving the wines alone for 2-4 weeks are based on the Edmunds St. John library release of a couple of years ago (wines from the 1980s and 1990s). It took that long for the sediment to fully settle.

Brian Tuite
    GCC Member
    GCC Member

#236 Post by Brian Tuite » October 16th, 2019, 5:47 am

Glenn L e v i n e wrote:
    October 16th, 2019, 5:27 am
    Had work right at nine and didn’t even log in until just past 9:30.

Got five bottles of Merlot, wishlisted 30 other bottles and assume I’ll get none of them.
    Don’t feel bad, I got on at the same time, put about a case of mixed merlot, cab, zin in my cart and my invoice shows 1 bottle. Oh well.
    Bob Wood - 1949-2013 Berserker for eternity! RIP

"On self-reflection, I think a big part of it was me just being a PITA customer..." ~ Anonymous Berserker

"Something so subtle only I can detect it." ~ Randy Bowman

2019 WOTY...

David Glasser
    GCC Member
    GCC Member

#237 Post by David Glasser » October 16th, 2019, 5:50 am

I was on a plane, obsessively hitting refresh on my browser starting at 8:59 Pacific. I figured these would go in a flash. They did, even though allocations for some wines were limited to 2 bottles. Joel did say in one of his notes that quantities ranged from a few bottles to a few cases. Several bottles in my cart weren’t there at checkout just 2 minutes later.

I cut my teeth on these wines. I’m looking forward to comparing the aged versions to my memory of what they were like in their youth. I’ve had older zins that were amazingly complex and some that tasted like generic old wine. Wines like the Monte Rosso and Old Hill seemed to have the stuffing when young to bring the magic with age.

I no longer believe in travel shock, but I do believe in sediment. I plan to stand them up for 2-3 weeks to let the sediment settle, and open a few for Thanksgiving.

Sh@n A
    GCC Member
    GCC Member

#238 Post by Sh@n A » October 16th, 2019, 6:03 am

Is the sediment bitter and fine, where a coffee filter alone is insufficient to handle sediment?
    / @ g r @ \

Chr!s G|@rn3r
    GCC Member
    GCC Member

#239 Post by Chr!s G|@rn3r » October 16th, 2019, 6:16 am

D@vid Bu3ker wrote:
    October 16th, 2019, 5:27 am
    Brian Tuite wrote:
    Nate Simon wrote:
    These are loaded with sediment. Unless you like crap between your teeth I would suggest pouring through a filter if you want to just plow through.
    Exactly.

My thoughts regarding leaving the wines alone for 2-4 weeks are based on the Edmunds St. John library release of a couple of years ago (wines from the 1980s and 1990s). It took that long for the sediment to fully settle.
    Yes the sediment is why I was asking initially, not travel shock. Thanks for the info!

Jason T
    GCC Member
    GCC Member

#240 Post by Jason T » October 16th, 2019, 6:27 am

David Glasser wrote:
    October 16th, 2019, 5:50 am

I cut my teeth on these wines. I’m looking forward to comparing the aged versions to my memory of what they were like in their youth. I’ve had older zins that were amazingly complex and some that tasted like generic old wine. Wines like the Monte Rosso and Old Hill seemed to have the stuffing when young to bring the magic with age.
    I think this is what's so great about this offering. For some, it's a chance to revisit history. For others (like me), it's a glimpse at a history they never got to experience. I admit to being a total geek when it comes to wine history, in particular California wine history. And I love the O&F wines as well as the handful of Bedrocks that I've sampled.

Most of these wines were made when I was in anywhere from junior high to my first couple years of college. I didn't have my first Ravenswood until the mid 2000's, and it was just a standard Zin. And at the time I knew nothing about wine and was just drinking it as a curiosity.

Some (such as Teldeschi) I've had from many other wine makers, and so I'm excited to try Joel's version. Many are from vineyards I'd never previously heard of. To get to drink a slice of this incredible California history - I admit I got goosebumps when Joel sent his original email several weeks ago, and those goosebumps only got bigger after yesterday.
    J@son Tr@ughber

David Glasser
    GCC Member
    GCC Member

Re: Ravenswood library offe

#241 Post by David Glasser » October 16th, 2019, 7:19 am

Sh@n A wrote:
    October 16th, 2019, 6:03 am
    Is the sediment bitter and fine, where a coffee filter alone is insufficient to handle sediment?
    I'm not sure as I’ve infrequently drunk old Zins and don’t recall getting a mouthful of sediment, but would guess a coffee filter would work. No doubt there are others here with more experience. I know coffee fanatics who are very particular about which bleached filters they use. Not sure if that’s significant. I’m not in a rush so don’t mind waiting.

D@vid Bu3ker
    GCC Member
    GCC Member

#242 Post by D@vid Bu3ker » October 16th, 2019, 7:39 am

Coffee filter takes care of it.

Nate Simon
    GCC Member
    GCC Member

#243 Post by Nate Simon » October 16th, 2019, 8:31 am

Brian Tuite wrote:
    Nate Simon wrote:
    These are loaded with sediment. Unless you like crap between your teeth I would suggest pourig through a filter if you want to just plow through.
    No doubt these will generally have a fair amount of sediment. I’ve never felt that wines need to be stood up for days due to sediment, however. Any sediment in the bottle has a mere 10 inches or so to fall. I’ll certainly have some standing up, but in a pinch I wouldn’t hesitate to stand them for a few hours and go at it.

AlexS
    GCC Member
    GCC Member

#244 Post by AlexS » October 16th, 2019, 9:38 am

Were people able to sign onto the O&F mailing list just for this offering?
    s t e w @ r t

D@vid Bu3ker
    GCC Member
    GCC Member

#245 Post by D@vid Bu3ker » October 16th, 2019, 9:57 am

Clearly, since that's what Tom Reddick did.

AlexS
    GCC Member
    GCC Member

#246 Post by AlexS » October 16th, 2019, 10:09 am

That really sucks...even worse if any johnny-come-latelies signed up just to purchase and flip.

Any WBers like myself who have been buying O&F consistently since 2016 and got shut out, please PM me - if O&F allows me to break up my purchases, I'll see what I can do for you.
    s t e w @ r t

D@vid Bu3ker
    GCC Member
    GCC Member

#247 Post by D@vid Bu3ker » October 16th, 2019, 10:14 am

I doubt flipping. Older Ravenswood bottles don't sell for a premium.

joeduncan
    GCC Member
    GCC Member

#248 Post by joeduncan » October 16th, 2019, 10:17 am

I'm also happy to share (I got a case of singles) if anyone got shut out and is in San Diego (or possibly OC/LA) and can meet in person. I don't think it sucks that new people could buy wines though -- this highlighted the existence of once and future to people here who'd missed it before, and highlighted the connection back to old Ravenswood. As Joel wrote in his final email, it just seems that tighter allocations were required so that everyone could get a little.

Edit: LOL Alex, you're one of the people who bought 4 cases? I reiterate my statement above -- I strongly disagree that new buyers should have been blocked, and instead that individuals should've been restricted on quantity.

AlexS
    GCC Member
    GCC Member

#249 Post by AlexS » October 16th, 2019, 10:21 am

Yes, I think it sucks for people who've been buying since day 1 and got shut out. Just my subjective opinion, no ill will towards O&F for how they set this up - they're great people and I know they would have wished for everyone to get some wines who wanted them.

I'll also add I bought 4 cases and nothing disappeared from my cart, purchase went through at 11:10 am or roughly 10 minutes after the offering went live. I even had enough time to remove bottles from my cart (had actually added 58, cut it back to 48).
    s t e w @ r t

AlexS
    GCC Member
    GCC Member

#250 Post by AlexS » October 16th, 2019, 10:29 am

D@vid Bu3ker wrote:
    October 16th, 2019, 10:14 am
    I doubt flipping. Older Ravenswood bottles don't sell for a premium.
    Given the provenance, I could see someone thinking these bottles might command a decent premium.

Also, there was an "add full allocation" link at the bottom of the release email -- wonder if anyone opened up their wallet?? Considering the generous quantities, would have been 15+ cases of wine.
    s t e w @ r t

Return to “Wine Talk”