TN: 2017 Halcón Mourvedre Yorkville Highlands

We thoroughly enjoy what Paul and team do with the Halcón brand. Many people have had their syrah which is always good and terrific value. This was my first experience with a Halcón Mourvedre and it did not disappoint. Actually it was drinking beautifully which was a bit surprising considering how young it it.

Decanted for 2+ hours and then drunk over two days. The nose is very fragrant, mix of cherry and red raspberry, white flowers, touch of leather and a meaty gamy note. One could sit for a couple hours just enjoying the complex aromas of this wine. Flavors of cherry and raspberry, flowers, pepper, earth, iodine and a touch of feral gamy note. Strong mineral note runs through the flavor making this not only complex but urging you to take another sip. Medium body, very good acidity and fine tannins add to the long finish. No noticeable oak. 12.5% ABV. An excellent bottle of mourvedre from Halcón.

The only bad news is there was very little produced, I believe it was a scant 70 cases. If you have one enjoy it now with a good decant or let it age. The impeccable balance will ensure it also will age well.

Tom
IMG_20190930_182316.jpg

::like button::

Super cool. I’ve clearly overlooked this cuvee.