weekend wines (chard/bdx/cali/bojo)

Dinner Saturday:

The Mt. Eden Estate chardonnay 2011 was sublime with seared scallops. That wonderful combination of power married to elegance. Lemon curd flavor. Wood perceptible but in the backseat. Quite long. Certainly in the top tier of Cali chards, and IMHO arguably within spitting distance of the greatest chards in the world.

Next up, with duck breast, was a 1995 Sociando Mallet and a 1985 Phelps “Backus” cabernet. My somm friend got a lot of herbaceousness from one of them – but would you believe it was the Backus? For me the Backus was interesting, as it remains very much the tannic beast, yet the flavor profile was all tertiary, with mint/eucalyptus most prominent. I remember Backus to be typically quite aromatic, but have never had one this old before. The Sociando was perfectly drinkable but simply unyielding at the age of 24. Will it ever offer up the pleasures I really really want to believe it possesses?

Dinner Sunday:

The Fevre GC “Cote Bouguerots” chablis 2009, from magnum, served with a variety of appetizers, reminded me a bit of the Mt. Eden from the night prior – and I mean that in the most flattering way. Interestingly though, perhaps a bit more extroverted. And with the requisite minerality. The two glasses that remained were stellar the next night as well simply as an aperitif. If there is a better value in GC white burgundy, I’d like to see it.

I could not find out what was being served as the main course, so I brought a Coudert Clos de la Roilette “Covee Tardive” 2015, also from magnum. Turned out to be short ribs as an entree. I have enjoyed many of these over the years, from various vintages. The good news is that the bojo had plenty of structure to stand up to such a hearty course. Unfortunately, however, even after a double decant two hours prior, this wine was simply not ready. By the very end of the evening we finally coaxed some dirt, rasberries and spice out of the nose. I do think it will be great in maybe five more years. My somm friend attended this dinner as well. I gave him the rest of the mag, and need to find out how it performed the following night.

Apologies for the brevity.