TN: 2008 Louis Roederer Champagne Cristal Brut (France, Champagne)

• 2008 Louis Roederer Champagne Cristal Brut - France, Champagne (10/1/2019)
    Very powerful and precise, with green apple, red fruits and bakery notes. It has a rigid, minerally spine, super-fine bead and is so sharp and focused. It is complex, nuanced and far too young. Should be legendary in a decade.

Posted from CellarTracker

I enjoyed a bottle also. Hope I’m around for its mature phase! Lots of great 08 bubbly.

Killer+ Champagne!

Trademark Infringement!!!

Please consider it a one time homage.

What he said. At least ten years. And yes, murderer

I opened this side by side with the 08 Dom Perignon and the Dom was the unanimous favorite. Maybe things will be different in 20 years. I hope so…this bottle cost me $79 at the NH state Liquor store.

The ‘09 is showing better in its youth, although both have their best years far ahead.

Cheers,
Warren

Are you sure that wasn’t Ca’del Bosco Franciacorta in that golden plastic wrap? $79 doesn’t even seem close to wholesale price.

It’s not…and I’ve got the fancy box too. :upside_down_face:

They had a gift card promo. I used the gift cards I got buying Dom Perignon to bring the price down $150.

I did the same tasting a few times and the Cristal was always preferred. What I love about the 08 Dom and Cristal is the elegance and balance. For my palate, they are incredibly enjoyable like a young Chevalier Montrachet.

The DP is more approachable right now and stylistically they are very different, so that is a big factor regarding preference.

Have a flight of '08 Cristal, '08 Cristal Rose, '09 Cristal and '08 DP set for a dinner in a couple of weeks.

Woah, that’s an amazing lineup, definitely look forward to your notes afterward.

I’ve had both '08 DP and Cristal, both truly great wines. My initial thought was the Cristal is much more approachable now, the DP I don’t plan on opening for another 10 years.

For my palate, the 08 is the most elegant Dom at least since the 90 vintage. The 08 Cristal is rich and concentrated yet also elegant and energetic.

• 2008 Dom Pérignon Champagne - France, Champagne (7/21/2019)
    A small gathering of friends - 71 Cristal, 08 Dom, 90 DRC GE, 01 Rayas, 90 Monfortino and etc. (Officina - Washington D.C.): Obviously primary yet beautifully balanced nose displaying fresh white and yellow fruit, fresh lemon, lemon curd, pear, granny smith, white flower, honeysuckle, smoke, sea breeze and limestone. Perfectly harmonious palate, very finely layered fresh pure white fruit, incredibly elegant and detailed, abundant very fine mousse, perfect amount of acidity, strong limestone mineral and a seamless long sweet pure white fruit driven finish. I am drinking a lot of the 08 Doms lately and it is amazingly consistent. Another excellent example. (98 pts.)
  • 2008 Dom Pérignon Champagne - France, Champagne (7/12/2019)
    Incredibly energetic and perfectly precise nose displaying white fruit, pear, granny smith, lemon curd, candied lemon peel, light honey, honeysuckle, light smoke and wet stone. Excellent concentration, beautifully layered fresh white fruit, abundant very fine mousse, rich and concentrated yet beautifully balanced and detailed, bright acidity, strong limestone mineral and a long sweet white fruit driven finish with smoke and limestone at the end. Observed over two days and it gets slightly richer. I have no doubt that this will be the greatest Dom. (97 pts.)
  • 2008 Dom Pérignon Champagne - France, Champagne (6/8/2019)
    Five winos excellent adventure , mostly in Burgundy; 6/7/2019-6/15/2019 (Beaune, France): Typically, it takes twenty years for Dom Perignon to shine. The 08 is an exception. Perfectly harmonious nose displaying fresh white fruit, pear, lemon, honeysuckle, cool mountain stream and limestone. Perfectly harmonious palate, very finely layered pure white fruit, incredibly fine abundant mousse, elegant, harmonious and energetic, bright acidity, strong limestone mineral and a seamless long white fruit and mineral driven finish. The 08 has to be the best young Dom Perignon of my life, epitome of elegance and refinement. (98 pts.)
  • 2008 Dom Pérignon Champagne - France, Champagne (5/24/2019)
    Lost Friday afternoon gathering – 08 Cristal and Dom, Raveneau, Rayas, Chevillon, Gouges and etc. (Black Salt, Washington DC): Expressive yet surprisingly elegant nose displaying fresh white fruit, granny smith per RJ, pear, fresh lemon juice, a hint of white flower, rain water and limestone. Just like the 08 Cristal, already showing exceptional balance and harmony, very finely layered elegant white fruit, incredible focus and perfect precision, very fine mousse, bright acidity, strong mineral and a long seamless fresh white fruit driven finish with limestone at the end. Although quite rich, not as rich as the 08 Cristal. This is surprisingly elegant and has no bitter end which I often get in young Doms. It has to be the most refined young Dom Perignon going back to the 90 vintage. (97 pts.)

• 2008 Louis Roederer Champagne Cristal Brut - France, Champagne (9/20/2019)
    Another lost Friday afternoon gathering – 96 Dom, 08 Cristal and a Rudy blend (Blacksalt, Washington DC): Expressive nose displaying perfectly ripe pure yellow fruit, fresh apple, lemon curd, a hint of red currant, candied lemon peel, honeysuckle, butterscotch, ginger, spicy spices and limestone. Exquisite palate, very finely layered pure yellow fruit, incredibly fine abundant mousse, very generous and opulent yet pure and perfectly precise, bright acidity, strong acidity and a seamless pure yellow fruit driven finish with spicy spices and ginger at the end. It magically combines the Cristal richness and the 08 vintage elegance. It is still drinking perfectly in a youthful way. (97 pts.)
  • 2008 Louis Roederer Champagne Cristal Brut - France, Champagne (5/24/2019)
    Lost Friday afternoon gathering – 08 Cristal and Dom, Raveneau, Rayas, Chevillon, Gouges and etc. (Black Salt, Washington DC): Expressive nose displaying rich red and yellow fruit, per Bill red currant which I agree wholeheartedly, a hint of cinnamon apple, honeysuckle, candied lemon peel and strong limestone mineral. Already showing perfect balance and precision, mindbogglingly rich and decadent yet incredible energy and focus, very fine abundant mousse, bright acidity, strong mineral presence and a long rich red and yellow fruit driven finish. This is like a great Yquem or a great Batard, i.e. so rich yet airy and weightless. Although the 08 Dom is very special, this seems to be richer and more concentrated while remaining elegant and precise in this occasion. For my palate, Antonio is pretty much spot on for Champagne. (99 pts.)
  • 2008 Louis Roederer Champagne Cristal Brut - France, Champagne (5/1/2019)
    Jailbreak Wine Dinner - 08 Cristal, 16 PYCM Remilly and etc. (St. Anselm): For those who love the richness and the concentration of Cristal, the 08 also adds the incredible precision and focus, reminding me the 96 Salon upon release a bit. Perhaps it is slightly less precise and the fruit is richer and sweeter. This is drinking incredibly well in a youthful way but will improve for a few more decades if cellared properly. (98 pts.)