Article on Drinking White Wines During Cooler Months

An interesting article about some of my favorite varieties to work with and to drink, including roussanne and marsanne.

My only bone to pick is the lack of knowledge on this writer’s part about those producing these wonderful varieties on the ‘Central Coast’.

He rightfully mentions Tablas Creek, but then mentions Sine Qua Non - certainly a ‘cult’ producer who makes interesting wines but not one that, to me, deserves to be mentioned before such important producers as Qupe or Stolpman. And not before such important producers as Bonny Doon or Domaine de la Terre Rouge or Alban . . .

Read on and let me know your thoughts . . .

Larry: This appears to be a UK publication; lots of stuff on Meghan Markle…as if I cared. The author probably hasn’t been to the Central Coast; he should attend Hospice du Rhone and check out the other producers. Tablas is an easy one; beyond them you have to do a little investigating.

I had a nice 2013 Truchard roussanne last week; an under appreciated producer of good quality, good QPR wines.

So, Larry…my definitive thoughts on this article. Thought it was a rather simple/facile that really didn’t much address the premise of the article…that it’s OK
to drink whites in the Winter. Stupid to mention SQN, who is only on the periphery/non-participant in the Calif Rhone movement…whose wines are
virtually unobtainable. Pretty much a waste of band-width.
Tom

Yup…couldn’t agree more. Every time I taste a Truchard, I wonder why they don’t get more attention.
Tom

The SO gets Town & Country in dead tree format and left the article out for me to read. I thought it was ok - a nice shout out for Condrieu AOC in a mass market article.

Simple, mostly harmless article that seems to be pandering more than anything else. As for drinking white wine is cooler months, do people have heat?

He had a number of assumptions that make for easy writing I guess. If you believe that people don’t drink white wine in the winter, then it’s easy to write an article challenging that notion.

And his conclusions are a bit strange:

“Most of us dine on lighter fare and don’t have the patience to cellar a wine for 20 years, which is why you may not be familiar with white Hermitage . . .”

But he’s not writing for the Brits - Town and Country is one of the oldest continually published magazines in the US. It’s owned by Hearst.

Vapid piece that was probably perfect for the readers of the mag.

As I’ve done in the past, I’ve posted articles highlighting varieties that usually get no lover whatsoever - especially from more ‘mainstream’ publications like T & C. And Jay knows wine - he has written about it extensively over the past number of years. To me, as I posted above, this was just lazy writing - and hitting ‘heavy hitters’ while disregarding those that have generally pulled their weight helping to develop these varieties in the US. Love the press for Tablas, but bummed that so many others were not mentioned . . .

Cheers!