TN: mostly Old World wines

Some of the Sacramento cadre’s met at Mulvaney’s to pull corks a week and change ago. It took me a little while to tap up some notes, and I might have forgotten some details by now. Good time and mostly European wines. Food and service were good too.

We started with

2016 Dom. Moreau-Naudet ‘Vaillons’ [Chablis] A premier cru, 13% abv. Lots of lime, minerality, and quite balanced. Good with the cheese course.

Then we segued into a pair of Rhones, from both ends of the valley.

2003 Rostaing [Cote Rotie] This is what is nowadays called Ampodium, but back then was just the base blend. It starts out lovely with savory, saline notes but as time goes on and it airs out it starts to develop some burnt rubber, match stick type of notes. Especially when contrasted to the other wines. Disappointing.

1999 Vieux Telegraphe [CNDP] Mature, bricking at the edges, good funk, leather and beef blood here. A real classic VT at its peak at age 20. A little plums on the palate too. One of my favorite Rhone estates.

Now was time for the Italian wines

2001 Gomba Boschetti ‘Sori’ [Barolo] 14% but lithe on its feet. A great complex nose of lavender, violet, and other flowers. It’s a very complete wine, and the table generally thought it was one of the best/better wines that night. Barolo is confusing to me, but this makes me want to learn about it more.

2001 Podere Poggio Scalette ‘Il Carbonaione’ [Toscana] This was a German re-import. 13.5% abv. We were pretty far along by the time we popped this but it tasted a bit underfruited to me. Maybe it got too much wood or something. For some reason I thought this was a Brunello, or maybe there is a BdM with a similar name.

And lastly, although consumed all along the way, was a cult California wine

2015 Colgin ‘Cariad’ [Napa] Super rich, 16% abv, and very delicious. Great contrast to the European wines. This showed a really plush texture and dense fruit.

Super wines, great cheer, and my head was hurting a little the next morning. Look forward to our next outing.