TNs: 98 Beaucastel and 05 Eyrie PN

• 1998 Château de Beaucastel Châteauneuf-du-Pape - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape (9/29/2019)
    Darker garnet. Nose of plum pits, earth, damp cellar, pepper, lavender. Layers of dense black plum, blueberry, blackberry, pepper, leather, and hints of licorice on the integrated palate. Moderate acidity and smoothed tannin. Long finish of black fruits, graphite, and rocky grip. A beautifully balanced, maturing, energetic wine with lots to offer. Not sure of the Mourvèdre percentage in the 1998 vintage but it really comes through. Wonderful with grilled lamb chops. (93 pts.)
  • 2005 The Eyrie Vineyards Pinot Noir - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley (9/28/2019)
    Popped and poured then followed for several hours. Darker ruby hue. Nose of fresh cut berry, violets, dense earth. Layers of dark raspberry, red plum, and black cherry on the palate with light application of iron particles and brambles. Ample acidity and structured tannin. Longer finish of lush blue fruits, iron, and slow grip. Just coming out of primary state, and beginning to develop complexity. (91 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Great note on the 98. Ive seen significant bottle variation, but when it’s on it’s really nice. Glad yours was singing.

Greg,

I noticed that on CT also. We were fortunate to have a good bottle. After so many years of cellaring, it’s certainly very satisfying.

Cheers,
Doug

I first had this wine at the winery itself in 2013. I picked up a three (3) pack from the winery tasting room in CdP Central. I have had 2 of the three bottles thus far with no bottle variations and I agree with the OP tasting notes, but would probably give the wine a 94 from my notes! [wink.gif]

My personal thought is if people are seeing bottle variations it’s coming from the handling, transportation, and storage of the distributors or retailers. They didn’t leave the winery that way.

If memory serves me, I believe the people at the winery itself said the 98 was 35% Mourvèdre.

Gordon,

Thanks for the information. My understanding is that this house uses a higher percentage of Mourvèdre in the blend than many other producers.

As for bottle variation, I have sampled the 1998 six times and had no off bottles to date. So far so good.

Cheers,
Doug

I also had the Beaucastel a couple of times and left CT notes, was one of my highlights of the year (and score reflected that).

11/11/2018 - 95 Points
Absolutely stunning. Concentrated fruits, liquorice, some olive and herbs, integrated tanins. Impressive finish. Not a flashy C9P but a complex and elegant bottle. In a really great place right now.

5/25/2019 - 97 Points
Even better than the bottle drunk in November 2018, similar note, just a touch more of everything. Some hint of roses on the nose that I hadn’t felt on the first bottle.

Was left very impressed both by the structure left, the complex and layered aromas and the general delicacy (not sure if it’s the right word in english) of the wine. I’ve been hunting this vintage since then, but I plan to open a 2001 which has also favorable reviews in CT and compare.

Hi Hamza,

Great notes, thanks for posting them. I appreciated your comments on the wine’s complexity and elegance. I felt this bottle had loads of potential and was indicating a definite upward climb.

Cheers,
Doug

Great note on one of my favorite Beaucastels Doug. That wonderful complexity started to show up around 15 years of age. Wish I had had more patience.

David,

This is good to know. I had forgotten about the Beau’s in the cellar and happened to be searching for something to go with lamb. To my delight I had a few left. Agree that the wine has really blossomed.

Cheers,
Doug