Seepage on 1970 Taylor

I have noticed some seepage and now I am standing it up. Level is at mid to low shoulder. So should I pop, decant and pour, or leave as is?

Thanks all

newhere

Same situation, same bottle…leaving it for now.

I would be lining up a slab of top quality blue cheese and 1-2 different types of crackers. I would decant this for 1-4 hours and enjoy with the appropriate company before the end of this year.

Agree with Nicos, open it up! A fabulous bottle that is singing right about now…Blue Cheese+1970 Taylor…Mmmmmmmm

At nearly 50 years old, I would follow Nicos’s advice and enjoy!

hmmm thinking this weekend, hey Peter you around?

The bottle I brought to Jay Hack’s house showed some seepage, and was amazing. You should be fine

I have a ton of old port, mainly birth year '77. Seepage is very common with most port and not an issue because the wine is fortified. Make sure you use an Ah So or a Durand to open!

Had a mag of '70 fonseca this summer. Still super tight and was better on days 2-5. Great bottle though!

Alex, thanks for the 70 Fonseca mag note as it is one of my favs. I am cellaring one with a neck fill and will will not touch it.
Fortunately, I have a 750 ml.

[cheers.gif] champagne.gif

champagne.gif [cheers.gif]

Seepage generally won’t hurt port too badly because of the sugar content, but the fill level you describe is a lot of seepage. Good bottles of 1970 Taylor or most other first tier ports are still on the upswing, it’s that good of a vintage. That said, I would recommend you open yours, because you’ve got more than a little seepage.

Yes. I don’t know why (maybe Portugal exports the good cork and use the crap for their local wines), but I have seen a lot of SOS in older ports, but it never seems to matter. The Port that Mark brought to my house in July was outstanding and at a perfect spot on the aging curve.

So I opened this to see about it, and although it has only been 30 minutes I am not that impressed… lets see what happens after I watch two episodes of the Purge!

For a bottle in good condition without leakage, this wine would usually need to be decanted at least 8 hours before service for it to show it’s best. If your bottle is still in good shape even with the leakage, it will take some time for it to show well. The 1970 vintage is still relatively young, believe it or not.

Will leave it open all day today and see how it is later…

I’ll have to open mine soon too…I do have another bottle (non-leaker) in storage.
Those are my only 1970s. I have a few 77’s and a bunch of 94s
Let me know how it goes and hopefully we can share something other than leaking port in the near future.

That would be cool Peter.

Unfortunately, the seepage got to this, very little if anything on this. Some secondary or perhaps tertiary characteristics on the palate, but otherwise at 21% it is nothing more than a sweet dessert wine. I think I purchased this at auction. Oh well.

Had one last week. It’s more than ready. Drink up champagne.gif

Consider a strainer/decanter too. I went through a lot of 80 Taylor and they threw chewy amounts of sediment. (80 vintage was not as nice as 70 though and often showed some heat)