TN: 2007 Taittinger Champagne Brut Blanc de Blancs Comtes de Champagne (France, Champagne)

• 2007 Taittinger Champagne Brut Blanc de Blancs Comtes de Champagne - France, Champagne (9/28/2019)
    A fresh nose of white peach, green melon, aniseed and citrus blossom. It is compact in the mouth and acidity whilst present has a relative softness. It is creamy with bakery notes and finishes with good vibrancy. A really classy Comtes that is drinking beautifully straight out of the gate.

Posted from CellarTracker

We recently had this on a Cathay Pacific flight and thought it was excellent. We were able to drink some on the ground before takeoff, and out of our own stems, so the wine had a chance to show its best. At first we were disappointed that CX had shifted off '04 Krug on their vintage rotation, but ended up being quite pleased as we hadn’t tried the '07 Comtes yet and it was showing beautifully, as you said. It even showed decently at altitude.

Picked up a bunch of these on close out at a local shop. Nice to know they’re showing so well. We’ll have to uncork when fall and winter festivities are upon us, though in the present heat, tempting to pull one now.

Had this wine at Taittinger when we visited there last summer. Very much enjoyed it. It will be interesting to compare and contrast this to the 2006 over the years. Seem like somewhat different wines.

I’ve had a few and loved each and every bottle Jeremy. On the heels of the fab 06, I was surprised and happy to find such a grand showing. Bought more at the same time I opted for more 06= a pretty big stash on hand and lots of joy in the future.

. . . count me as a “wait on eight” Tait lover.

+1 as with many other 08`s especially Cristal.

I am generally a fan, but we opened a bottle of the 07 the other night, and an overwhelming skunky smell met my nose. It sort of blew off, but I have to say we finished the bottle out of duty rather than enjoyment.

I passed on this also, but the CdC does seem to be a Champagne that drinks really well in “lesser” years…

I have to assume that the 2008 will come out at a higher price and need time. So, I plan on happily drinking 2006s and 2007s even assuming I can find 2008s at a reasonable price as I wait for the 2008s to mature. The best vintages are not always the most fun to drink young - see, e.g., 2005 Burgundy.

The issue for me is price; it’s the same as the 06 and I don’t find it 80% as good as nv krug or dom. I got a couple cases of the 06 but only 1-2 of the 07. Add the bottle shape and it’s an easy pass.

+1

I had wanted to split a case when the this came out but all my friends wanted to wait on the 08 so I still haven’t tried it. And now that I’ve spent most of my wine budget for,the year I might not for a while.

Never had that experience in any CdC including many 07`s and have to think that was a huge bottle variation. Good for you Merrill for fulfilling your duty.

Pulled a bottle out of our warehouse to try out, will try it out in next couple weeks. 2008 is a ways out, can’t wait to give it a go, but William Kelley had good notes on both and I don’t mind the middleweight vintages of Comtes as it’s not built on power like Krug, but finesse.

I had also never encountered this in many bottles/vintages until the recent Heritage auction tasting where it was present in the 04 they poured. Weirdest thing.

Yikes! Hoping this is a rare thing. I’ve got some more 07 coming in and 04 already in the cellar. May have to check them out.

I wouldn’t worry about it.

Neither would I.