TN: 2009 Jean-Michel Guillon Chambolle-Musigny

Figured I’d try one of the few 2009 Burgs in the cellar for the Packers game (as we’re having salmon for dinner), did not disappoint. Looking forward to seeing how this develops over the course of the game…doubt it even makes it to halftime, though!

• 2009 Jean-Michel Guillon Chambolle-Musigny - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Chambolle-Musigny (9/26/2019)
    Dark in appearance, fruit profile to match. Still a good dose of oak upon fresh opening, so it’s not yet integrated to be sure, but enjoyable now nonetheless. The dark fruit profile carries through on the palate, but there’s a wonderful brightness that emerges and lasts and lasts. Near perfect acidity when balanced with a rich mouthfeel. I’m getting some flint, which I absolutely LOVE on red Burgs, so that launches it up a notch for me. Long and rewarding finish. In 2-5 more years, I’m guessing this will be perfectly in stride

Good to know. Had a nice visit there in the summer of 2011. Tasted and bought a few of their 10s.

Nice, Todd,

I don’t know that producer. We’re doing a Chambolle and Gevrey village comparison over here this weekend, and have a Felettig 11 and an '09 Ghislaine Barthod lined up on the Chambolle side (with an '08 Bachelet and '02 Burguet Mes Favorites on the Gevrey).I hope all the wines show as well as yours, as they are also a bit on the young side, but seems like villages-level could sort of work.

My sweet spot for Burgundy is usually the early secondary phase, so this was almost there for me. Once the oak integrates fuller, I’ll be far more interested, as I like the wines slightly younger to have that ‘pop’ of the fruit profile.

This is a good under the radar producer.

Love Guillon. If you’ve never had them, know that they trend toward a bigger oakier style that takes time in bottle to really come together.