TN: 1994 Château Rauzan-Ségla (France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Margaux)

• 1994 Château Rauzan-Ségla - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Margaux (9/26/2019)
    Decanted for about 2 hours and consumed over the course of another 2. My first 1994 in about a decade and if others are this good I’ll have to try and pay more attention to the vintage. Beautiful, young, classic Bordeaux just entering prime drinking window (though I suppose it might have been there for a while for all I know). Pure vibrant fruit and the stirrings of complexity. Excellent match with lamb chops.

Posted from CellarTracker

I have always like this wine. Glad it performed well.

Opened a bottle maybe four years ago and was mighty impressed. It really stood out given the vintage.

1994 isn’t a vintage for everyone but I like them quite a bit. I haven’t had this wine but have liked LLC, La Mission, Angelus, Latour and especially Haut Brion (which was just over $50 on futures, BTW!).

We did a 1994 dinner about 20 years ago at the late lamented Inside restaurant and Haut Brion came in first. LMHB came in second.

1994 and 1997 are great for current drinking. Montrose 94 and PL 97 are jewels.

Alfert Alert! He would love this wine.

What really struck me was how elegant and fine the aromatics and tannins were while still having a certain 1994 green-ess to it that may not be for everyone. One of the better 1994s I recall. Great pull.

Not bad…popped this for Alfert about 5yrs back…cool tart red fruits but a bit too high in the pyrazine dept.

Jay, I’ve brought 94 Ducru and 94 Leoville Barton to NY within the past 5 years or so and you have remarked upon them. I guess they were not memorable enough.

I don’t remember. We did enjoy that ‘94 Montrose, however. I thought Leoville Barton really showed well in this vintage. I really cannot recall the Rauzan, so let’s grab some!

Oops

That’s it? We had a Grand Cru jeebus! Where are the other wine notes? neener

I didn’t take notes so I’m doing things from memory. I already posted on the Churchill.

I opened a 15 liter of the 1994 last year for my sons wedding.
It was the first release of the new owners.
Poured into Magnum decanters the wine was soft and approachable with lovely secondary aromas and typical Bordeaux flavors.
It was quite a hit since almost nobody has ever seen let alone drank from such a large format.
The wine has peaked yet has another decade of life especially from this format.

Sounds great. Glad I still have one of these and a Leoville Barton from ‘94. Cheers!

Bill Sokolin wrote a book about wine as an investment, and the central example was this Rauzan 1994. I thought it was a dumb book at the time, figuring he must have bought heavily, and it has indeed proved to be a lousy investment. Glad it is a nice wine.

I wasn’t much of a fan of 1994s until they got 15 years of age on them or so. Harsh and bitter tannins took a long time to mellow. I was on a right bank kick back then and liked L’Evangile and Angelus. I sold my first growths when Chinese interest peaked and prices got silly, then unloaded the rest when it came time to downsize a couple of years ago.

Sounds like it was a mistake to sell the Rauzan-Ségla before getting around to drinking it, but something had to go. My experience confirms Mark’s comment about the 1994s not being much of an investment. Except for the first growths.