2016 Vangone release

I’ve never tried the label before but I’m familiar with Sam Kaplan’s other labels (Memento Mori, Arkenstone, MAXEM). How does this one compare (I’ve seen terrific reviews)? Thanks!

The wait is over!

At Vangone Estate we age our powerful and luscious mountain fruit an extra year in new French Oak before bottling to ensure a rich, powerful yet seamlessly integrated wine. This means the highly anticipated release of our 2016 Vangone Estate Cabernet is finally here!!

The vineyard is hitting its stride in our 3rd vintage, producing fruit showcasing our unique location high above Oakville Crossroad on the Eastern side of Napa Valley. The cooling influence of Rector Reservoir and late sun exposure combined with our iron rich, volcanic granite soils produce fruit with stunning richness and freshness. The accolades have been pouring in for our special little vineyard and the team of Mario Bazan and Winemaker Sam Kaplan have worked tirelessly in lockstep, ensuring it’s special character is showcased to its fullest. Patty & I are stunned at its expressiveness and thrilled by its quality. We couldn’t be more excited to offer you the opportunity to enjoy and continue on this fabulous journey with us.

The Wine:

2016 Vangone Estate Cabernet Sauvignon (257cs produced)

This vintage the dark purple, almost black wine offers aromas of blueberry compote and dark berries, earthy dark chocolate with layered hints of pencil shavings, fresh cedar, English tea, cinnamon, truffles and lavender. The palate is voluptuously rich and densely mouth-coating while remaining elegant and super-integrated. It finishes with firm, persistent yet fine tannin. Often having heard it described as an “Iron Fist in a Velvet Glove”, we feel our third vintage epitomizes what Vangone and the Napa Valley as a whole can produce.

I’m in on this one—CT reviews are high on Vangone

I will be a buyer as well.

I was at a Memento Mori wine dinner in April and I asked Sam about this project. His eyes lit up and he said it was tasty wine.

I love what he does with MM, so I’m excited to see what he can do with some hillside Oakville grapes…

Sigh… in for 3

I hear you Jake. Just when I thought that after buying Scarecrow M’Etain next week that I would be good until January, this comes along. Oh yeah, and Sodhani next week.

All these offers are a gift and a curse.

Will be a buyer here for sure. The 15 was pretty strong. May try to taste there this week if we have time. Have to decide how many to buy.

Nick, please share your thoughts if/when you do. Enjoy Napa…

Had the 16’ Vangone out of barrel a few months back with Sam and man it was singing! A must buy if you love the Kaplan wines!