Tasting With Christopher Tynan

Chris dropped in today to deliver wine and taste us on the new releases of the Christoper Tynan wines. This is the part of my life that I love and Chris works hard to please people with his wines. Bouncing back and forth between the two wines I was afraid one would take over or interfere with the fruit profile. First up:

2015 Meleagris Gallopavo Old Vine Cabernet Sauvignon. 14.6 ABV. Popped and poured there is some black fruit, oak and tannins. The finish is surprisingly long and it is the same black fruits as the first sip but there is a light metallic taste that could be me. After thirty minutes the wine gains weight, the fruits are brighter. After an hour, it is whole new wine. The black fruits are gorgeous. The finish is a mouth coating full minute. At two hours it is hard to believe it has more to show but kitchen spice has been added, tannins are still there but complimentary and the finish goes on and on. Needs at least an hour decant or open the bottle three hours before you pour and watch this wine develop over the next two to three hours unless you can’t wait and suck it up.

2015 Judge Family Vineyard Bennett Valley Syrah. 14.2 ABV. Pretty sure it was going to interfere with the Cab so I took a few initial sips. The Syrah was pretty closed so it was easier to work with the Cab. The initial sips were a closed red wine that wouldn’t interfere with the Cab. The second sip at one hour indicated the wine should be enjoyed after the Cab. So I waited. The Syrah, after two hours open is massive and beautiful blacks fruit with coffee notes and hints of chocolate that tease the palate. Awesome wine.

Both should age well but be approachable with an early decant.