Tell me about Vougeraie wines

I dont know Vougeraie wines. Are they worth seeking out? A vendor asked if I wanted some of the '17. What other producers are they comparable to?

Quite modern made with new oak - belongs to Jean Claude Boisset (big negociant) and is their top-line, put together about 20 years ago from family owned plots and aquired vineyards from Pierre Ponelle, Voilland and others.
I heard the farming is now organic.
Quality is usually high, but one has to fancy the style reminding me a bit on the early Perrot-Minot, but I haven´t tasted a lot - and not for about 8-9 years.

1 Like

Pascal Marchand was the first winemaker, followed by Pierre Vincent who’s now at Leflaive. Today Boisset prefer to emphasise the team as opposed to a single winemaker
Biodynamic
Much less new oak than was once the case
Very high average quality across the range - whites included - though far from cheap
The best wines in the cellar are some of my most standout/top 20 wines every year

From my limited perspective, the wines (reds and whites) are continuing to improve. The Bonnes Mares used to be an absolute bargain, which isn’t quite the case anymore sadly. Some interesting whites - Charlemagne is very nice and decently priced (now that everyone else has raised theirs!), an interesting Vougeot Blanc that’s absolutely worth trying (not just an oddity, but actually a good wine) and they have recently secured some Chevalier, Batard and BBM. These are still a work in progress (not yet top notch in those appellations) and I understand some of the parcels came from the old Girardin holdings.

yes
Years ago I bought their Mazoyeres (as an oddity). I was pleasantly surprised. I think I have an 08 buried in the interest of science.

Had a nice 2005 from them, can’t remember offhand the appellation.

Bill…I got more into his wines after reading your book.

His Musigny is very rare and the 1999 is not yet fully matured.

1 Like

I loved the 2002 Bonnes Mares from Vougeraie a few months ago. It was not marred by oak

I thought the 2017s fabulous…

Great to hear Bill - I do not have them in my clutches yet, but will soon. Did you have a favourite out of the trio?

Thanks for this note - have a bottle stashed away and was wondering how it was coming along.

Spoofy and woody- destined often to be soupy with age IMHO. Many like them, but traditionalists are advised to avoid.

1 Like

Tom - which wines and vintages have you had poor experiences with?

Handful of wines through 2006. Do not have hard list at hand, but never tried Musigny.

These were far enough off the beam for me that I have not gone back and don’t plan to.