TN: Another lost Friday afternoon gathering – 96 Dom, 08 Cristal and a Rudy blend

ANOTHER LOST FRIDAY AFTERNOON GATHERING – 96 DOM, 08 CRISTAL AND A RUDY BLEND - Blacksalt, Washington DC (9/20/2019)

David organized another fun and educational lost Friday lunch. The first time invitee cancelled last minute so we were five rather than typical six. The chef created another excellent tasting menu.
Champagne
Both showed very well

• 1996 Dom Pérignon Champagne Oenothèque - France, Champagne
    Fully mature complex nose displaying ripe yellow fruit, fresh apple juice, lemon curd, yellow peach, smoke, a hint of brioche, cinnamon, crème brulee and limestone mineral. I have always noticed a slight hint of dirty damp cellar smell in the 96 Dom Oeno. David points out “lees funk”, eureka! Fully integrated palate, very finely layered sweet yellow fruit, medium abundant very fine mousse, creamy and precise, perfect amount of acidity and mineral, and a seamless sweet yellow fruit driven finish with smoke and cinnamon at the end. This is a fully ready to go example. (96 pts.)
  • 2008 Louis Roederer Champagne Cristal Brut - France, Champagne
    Expressive nose displaying perfectly ripe pure yellow fruit, fresh apple, lemon curd, a hint of red currant, candied lemon peel, honeysuckle, butterscotch, ginger, spicy spices and limestone. Exquisite palate, very finely layered pure yellow fruit, incredibly fine abundant mousse, very generous and opulent yet pure and perfectly precise, bright acidity, strong acidity and a seamless pure yellow fruit driven finish with spicy spices and ginger at the end. It magically combines the Cristal richness and the 08 vintage elegance. It is still drinking perfectly in a youthful way. (97 pts.)

Batard Montrachet

• 2010 Henri Boillot Bâtard-Montrachet - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Bâtard-Montrachet Grand Cru
    Decisively darker than the Girardin. Subdued yellow fruit, slightly oxidized apple, toffee, crème brulee, smoke and sweet spices. A bit hollow mid palate which I often attribute to premox. The finish is a bit bitter. Having had two fresh bottles, this is not correct, i.e. different batch or poor storage at one point. NR (flawed)
  • 2010 Domaine / Maison Vincent Girardin Bâtard-Montrachet - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Bâtard-Montrachet Grand Cru
    Medium expressive nose displaying ripe yellow fruit, peach, apple, a hint of lemon curd, custard, strong cedar/oak, honey, spicy spices and limestone. Excellent concentration, packed ripe yellow fruit, steely, bright acidity, medium mineral and a medium to long ripe yellow fruit driven finish with spicy spices and limestone at the end. Very good showing. (94 pts.)

Rudi blend
One of the participants served a red Burgundy blind. I was informed in advance that it was a “Rudy” blend.

“Expressive nose displaying sweet concentrated black fruit, blackberry, black cherry, lavender, dark spices and limestone mineral. Excellent concentration, opulent black fruit, rich, slightly hollow mid-palate, perfect amount of acidity and mineral, very coarse tannins and a long black fruit driven finish. There is a hint of heat.”

One person guessed Le Moine GC. Everyone thought it was a grand cru and rated around 94 points. It actually showed very well. The person who concocted the portion has been incredibly generous in the past. When the bottle, '08 Rousseau Chambertin, was revealed, no one doubted the authenticity.

It was 2/3 Bocquent Nuit St. George and 1/3 Dumol estate Pinot Noir.

• 2001 Domaine Comte Georges de Vogüé Chambolle-Musigny 1er Cru - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Chambolle-Musigny 1er Cru
    Medium expressive nose displaying ripe red fruit, raspberry, strawberry jam, noticeable cedar/oak, light caramel, cinnamon and mineral. Nicely integrated palate, finely layered mature sweet red fruit, silky, warm and round, perfect amount of acidity and mineral, and a medium to long sweet red fruit driven finish with a hint of cedar at the end. It shows a hint of sous bois. (92 pts.)
  • 2001 Hospices de Beaune Mazis-Chambertin Cuvée Madeleine Collignon Henri Boillot - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Mazis-Chambertin Grand Cru
    This bottle was stood up at home for a couple of days. It is completely opaque and totally shaken. Very muted but impressive concentration. Need to check another bottle soon. NR (flawed)
  • 2001 Domaine G. Roumier / Christophe Roumier Chambolle-Musigny - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Chambolle-Musigny
    The lightest of the flight. Youthful medium expressive nose displaying subtle red fruit, raspberry jam, slightly dry cherry, sesame/toasted oak, sweet spices and earth. Perfectly mature palate, a bit straightforward red fruit, warm and round, bright acidity, good earthy mineral, still noticeable slightly coarse tannins and a medium to long subtle red fruit driven finish. Drinking nicely. (91 pts.)

Ending in 5.

• 1985 Domaine Jean Grivot Clos Vougeot - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Clos Vougeot Grand Cru
    It seems like a correct example. Dirty damp cellar, a bit green and soy. Excellent concentration, good acidity and still coarse tannins. The finish is very short due to the dirty damp cellar note. Rustic, charmless and dirty. (82 pts.)
  • 1995 Hubert Lignier Morey St. Denis 1er Cru Vieilles Vignes - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Morey St. Denis 1er Cru
    Beautiful perfectly mature nose displaying sweet subtle red fruit, raspberry tart, strawberry jam, a hint of cedar, caramel, Chinese medicine and mineral. Perfectly integrated palate, excellent concentration, nicely layered concentrated red fruit, rich and generous but also silky and polished, bright acidity, good earthy mineral and a long sweet red fruit driven finish with a hint of Chinese medicine at the end. This is drinking exceptionally well. (94 pts.)
  • 2005 Gros Frère et Sœur Richebourg - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Richebourg Grand Cru
    Expressive nose displaying perfect ripe black fruit with a hint of red, blackberry, raspberry, cherry, coffee, rose, only a hint of Vosne spice and limestone. Very refined and perfectly balanced palate, finely layered perfectly ripe black fruit, silky and polished, bright acidity, strong mineral and a seamless long sweet black fruit driven finish with mocha at the end. This is drinking beautifully in a very youthful way but can easily improve for another decade. (95 pts.)

I had to leave earlier than usual but a great time was had by all.
Posted from CellarTracker

I have to say that, from the tasting note, it doesn’t really sound like Burgundy!

I was informed in advance. There were some very good tasters who love Burgundy.

Seems odd that a NSG along with RRV fruit would mirror Chambertin and not raise questions.

Guess I need to find 3 bottles of Bocquent and 1 Dumol so I can drink 3 Rousseau Chambertin’s.

The power of suggest is a big factor, i.e. a generous friend who often brings DRCs, Rousseaus, Leroys and etc. I plan to start organize blind tastings once again where you taste ten to twenty wines at once. The results can be very interesting.

You could read an example, Kevin, in my last report : the disappointment, again, on a Vogüé Musigny VV 2005, served blind.

Heavens, that was fun to read about the Rudy wine! Sorry to see the flawed bottle of Batard.

I have a bottle each of the 08 Cristal and Cristal Rose. They’ll be opened at a special anniversary event in 3 years. I’ve had one taste of the Cristal–super-young but super-good. Thanks for these notes, Kevin.

Best

Mike