TN: 1988 Chateau Meyney

• 1988 Château Meyney - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, St. Estèphe (9/21/2019)
    My last of six bottles of ‘88 Meyney purchased for $39 each at auction four years ago, and the last was also the best. Cork soaked almost to the top, but the wine was alive and sublime. Velvety mouth feel. Vibrant dark cherry, plum and black liquorice complimented by worn leather and cedar chest. Excellent acidity and still a little tannin hanging on. Wow. (94 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Beautiful. I think I have never seen a cork that soaked before.

Love this wine. Your note captures it so well.

I love this one as well. It was fairly austere when it was young (as with many 88s) but has been drinking well for quite a while.

Miraculous cork!

Corked soaked!

Thanks for the notes and photos.

The 1998s have aged so much slower than 1989s and 1990s.

It´s been a while I had it but in 2014 I noted
"classic, quite austere, medium depth and length, not match for 89 and 90, but very good. 89 points.

Has there a miracle happened?

Probably just bottle variation luck of the draw. Of my previous five bottles, one was corked and the other four ranged from good to very good. This one was in a different league.

What do we think of the 89s and 90s?

Great note. Glad to hear this is still going strong. Circa 2010 was my last bottle. For a stretch, I liked it better than the 89.

Deleted.

When it was young I didn’t think the 90 was that impressive, but I’ve had it twice in the past few years and now I think it fits in well with the best 80’s Meyneys. In one case we drank it the same night as 1990 Latour and the difference in quality was much smaller than I expected.

Deleted.

I still do think that the best Meyney of the 80ies is 1989 or 1982 (hard to say), then 86, 90 and 88.

I tend to agree with this, except I would add 1985 in there as well. I don’t see a huge gap in quality between any of these, though I haven’t had the 82 recently.

Nice note Andrew. I’ve never had the '88 but have gone through at least 8 bottles of the '89. Great classic Bordeaux at an affordable price.

While I tend to migrate to the 86 over all of them, I think Craig is right. Line up the 82, 86 and 89, and the best will be whichever bottle that day happens to be showing best. The differences are marginal. Wish I had more, but alas, all gone. The 88 is really good but, IMHO, just a slight cut below. Happy to drink it any time, however.

If we could prognosticate which current QPR will turn out like this, I’d fill an entire locker with it. Meyney from the 1980s is the greatest QPR winery of that era, if not from my experience, ever.

Depending on storage both 89 and 90 Meyney are still going strong reflecting the vintage. 89 a tad more classic and complex and 90 a tad riper and more opulent. Wonderful wines. Had both several times and relativ recently too.

86 is my fav and I enjoyed maybe 2 cases in the last 20 years, but I’ve only had the 82 once. Never had the 85.