TN: 2012 Frog's Leap Cabernet Sauvignon Estate Grown Rutherford

I’m very impressed by how this is showing since I visited Frog’s Leap in 2015, and tasted this blind in a Cab flight later in that year (it didn’t show well blind compared to the rest of the lineup). Seems like a great time to check in on 2012 old-school style Napa Cabs.

• 2012 Frog’s Leap Cabernet Sauvignon Estate Grown Rutherford - USA, California, Napa Valley, Rutherford (9/21/2019)
    Clear, deep ruby color. Showing lively aromatics of cassis & black currant, green peppercorns, roasted coffee, pipe tobacco, worn cedar and smoked paprika. Luscious high-toned black fruits on the attack with stately secondary depth consistent with the nose. Elegant on entry with open textures and nicely developed middle palate weight. Terrifically balanced ripeness and acid, supported with round smooth tannins and finishing with juicy mouthwatering length. In a great place right now, beautiful classic style. 92+ (92 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Nice note. One of the very best producers in Napa Valley, delicious traditional wines that can age and are attractively priced.
I prefer their Estate Cab to many other Napa Cabs costing 3-4 times as much.

Tom

Nice note. Will have to seek out the 14.
Pricing on these wines has stayed steady for years.
2015 Frog’s Leap Cabernet Sauvignon Estate Grown Rutherford - USA, California, Napa Valley, Rutherford (10/11/2018)
Hennepin Lake Tasting 2018; 10/11/2018-10/14/2018 (Minneapolis, MN): Excellent dry styled Cabernet. Stones, red currants, dust, floral and mild oak. This is really nice and balanced. You could enjoy this for a decade. Great buy for $50. (92 points)
Had the 15 a year ago and also really enjoyed it. Drinking well young.

Thanks for the reminder to try one. I love Rutherford and wines that are a bit old school.

Good to see you posting a bit more, recently, Fred.

Nice note for a solid QPR wine. Thanks.

Thanks Andrew. I took quite a break. Other interests and commitments but I’m checking in a bit more. We had an unbelievable trip to Italy.

Just went and read the notes on your trip. Sounds like a fantastic time!

A favorite since forever, one of the few remaining old-school sane producers left in the valley.

Dan Kravitz

Thank you for posting the note, Matt, and thanks to others for the kind words. My dad and I are glad to hear it was showing well.

The 2012 was our first all-estate Cab. I still remember the first Cabernet grapes coming in that year, and thinking that they were the forerunners to something special.