TN: 2006 Rhys PN Alpine - Cork crumbled, Wine Sturdier

Just opened the 2006 Rhys Pinot Noir Alpine Vineyard to have with fried chicken as I get ready to watch Norte Dame - UGA with multiple emotions. Used to hate both football teams, but daughter graduated UGA which sucks much of the hate out on one side, (will always hate ND). Happy UF won. So opened the 2006 to enjoy with dinner. Cork crumbled which is a regular occurrence with many of my older Rhys bottles. But it does force me to decant which usually serves the wines well. Dark purple, with strawberry, some vanilla and spices. Taste added some darker berry and the finish has a little zing like lemon which is not really pleasurable. But the dark fruit is tasty and if the lemon elements fade a little bit, this will be really good. Balanced enough and not at all bad now.

I will add to the note once it has had some time. Fingers crossed.

Update - At about 45 minutes, the lemon receded and the darker berry became more pronounced. Once this happened, the wine was very good.

Lots of cork crumblage at our Rhys dinner this past Tuesday. 06s showed very well.

Craig nine of the bottles were from me and they had all been stored upright for years. Dries out any cork but doesn’t hurt the wine. I bet mine were the crumbly (not crummy) corks.

Why did you store the wines upright?

Storing wine upright gives them structure and backbone. Leaving wine in a reclining position makes them prematurely soft.

Cuz George is a standup guy?

My Rhys bottles have rested on their sides. The good news is that each of the bottles with crumbling corks has been good or better, and were probably well-served by the necessary decant.

IIRC, 2006 was problematic for Rhys and Alesia corks. Any other vintages?

Had an 08 crumble, but just one.